It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2018

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

originally posted by: ressiv
so back to ATS for the last info since spectronet is douwn…:-(

Just fyi, res.... SpectroNet is NOT down... Just being delivered to those who support it. www.spectronet.org... for more info.

What do you make of this one?
Strange waves rippled around the world, and nobody knows why
www.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

AP reporting 6.7

BREAKING: A 6.7 magnitude earthquake has rocked buildings in Anchorage, the U.S. Geological Survey says.

Tweet

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

Prelim 7.2M

No word on duration either.

Several large after shocks and power is fluctuating around the city!!

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It was pretty bad. Seeing estimates of between 6.7 and 7.2 magnitude. The most important component is how DEEP it was, right? The deeper the better. (That's what they always say after these events.)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Ive seen both too. Im gonna go with the 7.2 figure though. From what Ive heard it was centered at or real near the military base here.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

EMSC Regional Seismicity

It looks to be in the upper range for quakes in the area, but not out of character.

GFZ has it at 7.0 from manual calculations:

F-E Region: Southern Alaska
Mw Beach Ball
Time: 2018-11-30 17:29:27.0 UTC
Magnitude: 7.0 (Mw)
Epicenter: 150.07°W 61.44°N Geohack coords
Depth: 35 km

edit on 30-11-2018 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

Prelim 7.2M

No word on duration either.

Several large after shocks and power is fluctuating around the city!!

They have updated it to be a 7.0 centered a few miles north followed by a 5.8 which was right in Anchorage.

I still have power and Internet, but parts of town are without. Lots of social media stuff, don't know what's real or not. I have lots of stuff in my pantry on the floor and a few small items broken on shelves, but nothing major. Possible serious road damage over in Eagle River and towards the Palmer interchange.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Still getting small aftershocks every little while.

Near Minnesota and International Airport Road.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
For anyone interested, live spectrograms can be viewed Here on YouTube - note this is not TruAmerican's feed, he took that feed down and now has a closed group. The feed linked here is open to any and all with access to YouTube.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

To quote George Taki, "Oh my!"

I think the magnitude will rise as damage reports come in. We had stuff knocked off desks here in mid-town. Check KTVA's twitter as their news room looks like a hurricane hit it.

Weird that my office has power, but only on my side! Internet wavered a bit but seems steady. Everybody has gone home to see what damage they might have.

I am going to shelter in place! I have food. Coffee. And internet! That's all I need. And this lamp! Food, coffee, the internet, this lamp... and this chair!

Glad your doing well!!

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Magnitude is not calculated based on damage done. It is a combination of the length of the rupture, the amount of movement of that rupture, and the time duration said movement takes place.

Damage is more a function of the depth of the earthquake. A deeper quake of the same magnitude would not do as much damage due to attenuation of the energy released. This was a fairly shallow quake and as a result there was not much degradation of the energy by the time it got to the surface.

Considering the large number of stations and low error value, I would say that M7.0 is a fairly accurate representation of the moment magnitude of this event.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

It does get added to the end figure.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

citation?

Moment magnitude (Mw) was introduced in 1979 by Hanks and Kanamori and has since become the most commonly used method of describing the size of a microseism. Moment magnitude measures the size of events in terms of how much energy is released. Specifically, moment magnitude relates to the amount of movement by rock (i.e. the distance of movement along a fault or fracture) and the area of the fault or fracture surface. Since moment magnitude can describe something physical about the event, calculated values can be easily compared to magnitude values for other events. The moment magnitude is also a more accurate scale for describing the size of events

What is Moment Magnitude?

The moment magnitude scale is based on the total moment release of the earthquake. Moment is a product of the distance a fault moved and the force required to move it. It is derived from modeling recordings of the earthquake at multiple stations.

How are Earthquake Magnitudes Measured?

I see nothing about damage being added after the fact.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Alaska known for mag 9ers ...foreshock?

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Walmart Kenai Ak

edit on 30-11-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Huge quake, Anchorage, AK!!

Just happened. No known magnitude.

My guess. 8.0 - 8.5

Long sucker too!

Im still trying to get where you figure an 8-8.5 I havent heard any reports anywhere that it was that strong........not trying to minimize I just think its imperative that in situations like this people are accurate.......

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Experience.

I am not the only one. Other long time AKers saying 7.0 is waaaayyyyy to low.

@Jaded, no internet/computer all afternoon or probably could find one or two. Didn’t know either until some EQ in Pakistan/India border. The initial reading is is the seismometers. Then they can adjust as see fit (up or down). Kinda lame, like reporting wind chill factor instead of both air temp and wind, but it is what it is (momma was really smart that way. She could always explain it so I could understand [i am Gump!]).

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
For anyone interested, live spectrograms can be viewed Here on YouTube - note this is not TruAmerican's feed, he took that feed down and now has a closed group. The feed linked here is open to any and all with access to YouTube.

Yeah open to all freeloaders and thieves who will just assume steal my idea and take it for themselves, after the originator of the idea was foolish enough to trust people like you and them with access to the vital components of that idea. That's what I get for being the nice guy. Oh foolish me. Fortunately there are good people in this world who sincerely appreciate what I did and still do, and are willing to help out with the expenses of such a venture. They are the ones who deserve our feed, and they are the ones who are getting it. They love it, and have no problem at all helping out. So yeah, go drive the Yugo, while our members enjoy the Ferrari, haha. You ain't fooling anyone Jaded. What's the matter? ... You thieves run out of implanted moles over here?
Yeah, we kinda had to lose em all, and send em back packing to Yugo land, haha. Good riddance. Your true colors finally did shine there Jaded, and left me pretty damn Cynical.
Oops, I guess you better go running back now to your thieves den, and be with your trolls. And how about growing some cojones one of these days and admitting that all you did was steal it. Yep. THIEVES, trolls, and downright dogs with no original ideas of their own to offer up. Free Yugo's for everyone!

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
For those watching the CSZ:

a reply to: SeaWorthy

Magnitude: 4.7
Time(UTC): 2018/12/01 07:33:47
Time(Local): 2018/11/30 23:33:47 PST
Depth: 10.0 km (6.2 miles)
Event Id: 1000hzc2
Network: us

Source

Looks like the Pacific Plate is jamming up the Jaun de Fuca at this time as well.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Wish you were still out in the mix, man. They can copy all they want, but yours was STILL the best. They can only go downhill from there. The one JaC linked is ok, but yours, if I recall, didn't try to cram so damn much on the screen (like freakin' cam livestreams, come on) and was much easier on the eyes to follow.
edit on 12/2/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join