It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agree or disagree with the following tradition.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This will be my first post here.
I would put this in a different area, however site says my first 5 need to go here.

So here it goes.

The tradition of putting lemon on fish.
Now I feel that if you have fresh fish there is no reason at all to ruin, the pure taste of a good fresh fish. fresh being the keyword.

As a kid spending lots of time in libraries I read that the whole reason we did this tradition, started from pirates.

What would happen is the pirates during there long sails, would have fish that would start to go bad, so they found that squeezing lemon on it helped to neutralize the taste of the fish. As we know to this day lemon is still served with lemon wedges.

Here is science behind why the pirates did this.
Fish meat contains amines. Amines are molecules that are produced naturally when fish muscle starts to break down. Chemically, amines are very similar to ammonia, and have the trademark off-putting odor/flavor. Also like ammonia, they are alkaline. When mixed with an acid (like the citric acid in lemon juice), they react and form an amine salt. Amine salts don't have a smell or a taste. That way you can enjoy your fish, without it tasting too 'fishy'.
www.reddit.com...

So now do you agree or disagree that lemon should be on fresh fish?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: liketoplayagame
This will be my first post here.
I would put this in a different area, however site says my first 5 need to go here.

So here it goes.

The tradition of putting lemon on fish.
Now I feel that if you have fresh fish there is no reason at all to ruin, the pure taste of a good fresh fish. fresh being the keyword.

As a kid spending lots of time in libraries I read that the whole reason we did this tradition, started from pirates.

What would happen is the pirates during there long sails, would have fish that would start to go bad, so they found that squeezing lemon on it helped to neutralize the taste of the fish. As we know to this day lemon is still served with lemon wedges.

Here is science behind why the pirates did this.
Fish meat contains amines. Amines are molecules that are produced naturally when fish muscle starts to break down. Chemically, amines are very similar to ammonia, and have the trademark off-putting odor/flavor. Also like ammonia, they are alkaline. When mixed with an acid (like the citric acid in lemon juice), they react and form an amine salt. Amine salts don't have a smell or a taste. That way you can enjoy your fish, without it tasting too 'fishy'.
www.reddit.com...

So now do you agree or disagree that lemon should be on fresh fish?

I like salt, pepper and lemon on my fish. Sometimes i’ll make a peach or raspberry glaze with pecans or almonds.

Although i like the taste of fish, i usually spice up my food in one way or another.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: liketoplayagame

how did those pirates kept the lemon fresh to squeeze them when needed???

On topic: its a choice of taste I reckon. I never use lemon on fresh fish but do like it when the odd canned herring comes my way...
edit on 3-1-2018 by szino9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I love lemon, but I do not like it on fish or chicken at all. I love garlic and soy sauce on fish though. I think lemon takes away from fish and is not complimentary at all.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I love lemons by themselves, in every drink and all food. But, I hate fish-all of them.

However, I have baked fished with lemon butter for over 40 years for my family and friends.

I think pirates etc. used lemons as they did other citrus fruits mostly to fight scurvy.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It should be down to the individual - I'm thinking of those chefs who take offence when a customer dares to season a meal that the chef considers perfect as it is (though to be fair, this probably only happened in a sitcom I watched)- if your taste I'd to add lemon, then who on Earth can tell you you are wrong?

Personally, I reckon cooking a salmon I have just caught over an open fire on a beach would be as good as it gets - no condiments (or knife and fork) needed!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
historically citrus fruits were taken to sea to counteract the effects of scurvy. the lemon on fish tradition may also have some roots in that consideration.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

You.

I agree as a method of preparation. Sometimes an acidic bath cooks fish while breaking down enzymes. This not only enhances the texture and flavor of the fish, but helps to weed out any undercooked servings.

Lemon helps with digestion as well IMO.

Tradition is as eternal as the people that choose to uphold it out of blind obedience.

What purpose does it serve? Is meaning alone the purpose? A symbol in form. Not a design in function?

I say yes.

edit on 1 3 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Yes to lemon and lime on fish.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

hey!

yes, fresh limon should be on fresh fish!

enjoy!

new topics

top topics

join