It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Craig Sager's son tweets that he, sisters were left out of father's will

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
sports.yahoo.com...

I read the story and like any family story there is a lot behind the scenes that most people will never know.

My parents have written both my siblings out of their will. If you met my siblings you would probably wonder why, they both seem like
good upstanding citizens and good kids. Well here is the backstory.

I left home at 18 and lived independently and without assistance from my parents and paid for my education myself.
Both my siblings have lived off my parents for many years, they had their education paid, my parents even paid phone and auto insurance until late 20's. We are talking tens of thousands of dollars. (No divorces we are all full siblings)

Fast forward a few decades, my parents are now both old and sick and my siblings are nowhere to be seen. I kid you not, it seems as if the minute my dad got sick everyone disappears (except me). I have always been there and never expected anything in return.

My parents still send my siblings money for holidays, birthdays etc. I got a call from my parents after Christmas, they both told me I was the only one that ever thought of them and that my siblings did not even send a Christmas card, birthday card, nothing. Not a single card over the years. I hate to say it but I am not shocked by this, it is sad, but not surprising. It has nothing to do with money, if my siblings even called to wish them a good Christmas or New year or remembered the holidays I honestly think that would suffice.

A few years ago when my parents wrote them out of the will, they got a lawyer, and did everything so that when they pass everything is left to me and my children, and that there is no way my siblings will win a dispute. They were both even checked by doctors to say they are of sound mind. They wrote the will in a way, so that in the event I die, it will still not go to them. I told my parents I don't care about the money and I wish they would use it to enjoy themselves, but they come from a different generation. They made me promise if my siblings fought the will, that I would fight harder. Neither sibling knows they have been written out. There have been some huge incidents in the past regarding family heirlooms (of very little monetary value).

I'm sure soon enough there will be a headline for me (at least on facebook) similar to the one Craig Sager's kids posted. I am substantially better off than both my siblings, and it will seem odd that I am left with everything and them nothing.

I'm not saying my situation is the same as Mr. Sager's son and daughter, but I can guarantee you there is much much more to the story.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

edit on 3/1/2018 by glen200376 because: Wrong thread

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I have seen this sort of thing before.
Don't just assume that they can't get anything from a lawsuit. It happens, sometimes after several years of lawyer bills.

I have also seen people like your siblings go into homes and help themselves to whatever they want.
Be sure to change the locks so they would need to break into the home.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Unfortunately I've seen it with other family members.
Some family members stole a very large sum of money from another family members inheritance because they were the executive in charge (or whatever they call it) everyone readily admitted taking the money, but never paid it back.

Oddly enough (or Karma?) The ones that took the money seem to have a curse or something, their financial situation has only gone downhill drastically after that. The ones that didn't take the money were just fine.

One of my closest friends sister died, people were fighting over her used bras. How low do you have to be to fight over a dead lady's bra???

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

i feel sorry for you because in the end you will be the 'bad' person in your siblings eye even though it was not your decision. It never fails when it comes to money, and its very sad really...

I hope your parents will still be around for a long time for you!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I'm not saying my situation is the same as Mr. Sager's son and daughter, but I can guarantee you there is much much more to the story.

untill i read this thread - it was utterly ignorant who " the sagars " were

BUT

i have seen 1st hand the accrimonius breakdown of families

with the children of " first spouse " being diss-interited and all the estate going to children of " second spouse "`

and the problem was toxic second spouse

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Setup a trust and pay them dividends through it. If it's cqv trust it shouldn't be that hard. That way you can stay out the insanity and they might not be any wiser about your parents wishes.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
My wife runs a funeral business. Ya want to hear some stories!!!

Anyway HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

A few years ago when my parents wrote them out of the will, they got a lawyer, and did everything so that when they pass everything is left to me and my children, and that there is no way my siblings will win a dispute. They were both even checked by doctors to say they are of sound mind. They wrote the will in a way, so that in the event I die, it will still not go to them. I

A friend of mine is going through this mess right now with his brother and its a nightmare despite having a will.

he has spent 10K fighting his greedy brother. The mom gave his greedy brother a $400K paid off home , $40k + truck, paid off his kids school and expenses, 10K of money and all this decade before she passed away. The mom got sick he was never around , him and his kids would steal money from her and the minute she died he actually went to her house and ransacked the place and one of her bank accounts.

The mom left her remaining money and paid home home to my friend because she always gave things to his brother when she was alive and so she changed her will years before getting sick to leave everything to my friend.

Needless to say even with the will in place he is still spending 10K so far in to fighting his greedy brother allegations including that she was not fit to change the will , trying to raise suspicion that my friend caused her death (murder), character assassination, etc.

Despite having proof that is all bs on his part he has still spent 10K so far in fighting this . So make sure you have video proof if you can , countless doctor notes , and iron clad attorney wills in place.
You may want to even possibly have your parents create a video for your siblings explaining that they are out of the will and she does not want them to get the money.

Good luck sadly a death in a family can sometimes bring out the worst in people.

edit on 47131America/ChicagoWed, 03 Jan 2018 10:47:33 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I have also seen people like your siblings go into homes and help themselves to whatever they want. Be sure to change the locks so they would need to break into the home.

Just happen to my friend. Seconds of finding out their mother died my friend was grieving and trying to figure out the arrangements that needed to be done. His brother immediately went to his mothers house and took everything and helped himself to even one of her bank account.

Sadly you do need to take Bluntone22 advice and immediately change the lock and if possible do it before your parents die and give her the new key with instructions to not loan them to your siblings.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I feel like my parents have done everything legally available to ensure a fight would not be won. It does not mean a fight will not happen. Yes, they actually did explain why they are out of the will too.

One sibling (and spouse) will be more of a problem. Little do they know, my parents have already given me almost all the family heirlooms and jewelry. This has all transpired over 15-20 years. My most recent visit to them, they loaded up my suitcase because they felt someone would do exactly what you are saying, ransack the house. How jacked up is it that they have to feel this way about their old children!!!

BTW. I had a carry on luggage filled to the brim with clocks, pocket watches, old radios, jewelry, old war items. I was certain I would be stopped, searched, questioned, etc. TSA didn't even flinch! Went through airport security faster than ever. Makes you say hmmmmmm...

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I can't even imagine the stories your wife has? What is the most crazy? Have familes ever gotten into a brawl at the funeral home?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm going through something very similar right now. I left home at a young age and made it on my own without depending on my parents, like all three of my siblings have done. My sister, 49 yo, just graduated from law school after living in a big Eastern city in Mommy and Daddy's condo rent free for 19 YEARS. Wont even let my parents into their condo when they go visit her. Dad in hospital, not much life left. He has been manipulated into distrusting his wife and I who moved back to the same city they live in to care for them. Sis shows up stirs the pot and leaves. Brother and wife who also live in same city with three kids my parents have paid for private schools and college----no where to be seen or heard from. Other brother who lives across the pond refuses to let our mother meet his son. Both use their kids as weapons vs. parents. Family can be real a**holes.

link   
double post

edit on 3-1-2018 by FirePilotFilson because: (no reason given)

link   
double post

edit on 3-1-2018 by FirePilotFilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FirePilotFilson

I feel for you. It doesn't get lower than using your own kids as weapons!

Are we related, because your sister sounds like mine, gone for years, stirs the pot, and gone again?!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: FirePilotFilsonFamily can be real a**holes.

This is such a strange concept to me ... it's like peering into another world.

Before I go on, I want to make it clear that I am not passing any kind of judgement; I am all happy for you and your families success and have a strong belief that wealth is not an individual concept but that the hard work of many generations need to be accounted for when deciding who deserves what in this world.

So bake to the topic ... it seems a common theme between the OP artical and those posters expressing family estrangement issues is in fact the accumulation of wealth beyond the modest.

Even out side in the real worls It has been my observation that it is very common that those families with enough wealth, as not to need to worry much about it, also have estrangement issues. While families with more modest to pore means have a tighter knit famly structure.

For exanple my parents (and grandparents) do not have enough wealth accumulated to even consider handing over 400k homes to their children or pay for privet school only to find out later that they gave that money to an ungrateful child. And I assume by the time my parents pass away, after the inevitable doctor and funeral costs, there will be very little for my siblings and I to devide between us. Yet the idea of any one of us or our partners or even our extended family excluding someone from the thin pickings is a very forgein idea. And it's not true that my family does not have our issues; for example my aunt has effectively stolen quite a lot of money from my grandfather by taking out a loan in his name that she could not pay back. But even this aunt is not "out of the will" and continues to live in my grandfather's house. She does help care for my now very aged grandfather and this past year donated a kidney to my father who was facing full kidney failure. Dispite stealing the money she will always be family and when the family need her too she stood up.

My wife's family is completely different some of them barely talk to each other and do overly worry about how to split their family wealth dispite having enough to go around comfortably.

Of course my experiences could be limited and maybe I am seeing a pattern that does not exist; but if my observations are correct I wonder what is it about wealth that puts pressure on family cohesion?

I worry about this because for the first time in my families history my siblings and I are moving up the social economic ladder; God willing I will be able to afford some of the things mentioned in this thread for my children and future grandchildren. But I don't think I want that if it causes my children to miss out on the type of family I have.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

To you it may seem about money, but it isn't about just about money, you summed it up with your story:

Your story about your aunt:
"when the family need her too she stood up." This is the part that was lacking in most of our stories. I think a lot could be forgiven in families as long as everyone pulls their "fair share" whatever that is considered from family to family. When that doesn't happen, and there is money involved, money is used as a weapon, or as a legacy. My parents feel like my siblings have let the family down, therefore they will not "reward" that behavior. Now think if your Aunt stole the money, moved to another state, never talked to your family, then come funeral time demanded your grandfather's watch, wouldn't that be a different story??

You are correct about the economics of things. Think about young people these days, they are living with their parents longer than ever, it is because it is too expensive to live on their own. In the past when rents were cheap, they moved out at a lot younger age. Families that have less, have to rely on each other more for support (like your Aunt). Families that are more self reliant can do as they wish and don't rely on the family unit, maybe this causes them to grow apart emotionally too.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The strangest recently was they just left the guy no arrangements nothing just left him at the funeral home. 3 weeks went by and they had to get advice from the county corrnor on what to do. they seem to had forgot they guy had a pre paid funeral and when someone finally showed up thanks to the police they wanted the money and they would pay the funeral home later. It doesn't work that way so they had someone call claiming to be a lawyer for the family and tell them they would go to court for the prepaid money if it wasn't handed over immediately. To which my wife replied they are going to need money because the county prosecutor is going to charge then with abuse of a body if they didn't do something. Again some one called and said to cremate the guy well someone has to sign for that. The local cop finally went and picked up a woman where she worked and explained she really needed to sign the papers to get this done.

Now over a month has went by the old man is in 2 bags in the cooler. What happens they demand to see him to prove it's really their father. The home agreed as long as they were all there. Now the guy was embalmed and everything but still when the second bag was about to be opened they decided to sign cremation papers.

He was cremated and they never picked him up and started calling several times a day about the balance. So they boxed the jug with him in it up and shipped to the farthest away family member I think California. There is no balance to be returned with a pre pay because it paid for a funeral at the church and a nice dinner and all the nice stuff none of that money was spent so it was lost. That was last spring they still have lawyers or someone claiming to be call a couple of times a week

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
After reading these horror stories, from what I can tell I got lucky. When my mother died, I was there, rather I was there every day for the past 8 years taking care of her and her estate. I did not think anything in the will, or consider anything about the money, rather focusing on her. It was the right thing to do. After she passed, and I had to contact my siblings, both of whom were estranged, I was more than happy to step aside and let either of them handle the will and all of the stuff that went along, they did not want it and it fell to me.

What made things easier for me is that there really was no in fighting, no claims on anything. Stuff that they wanted I had no emotional attachment to and gave it to them, and vice versa, things I wanted, they had no emotional claims to and it was all good. Even the dividing of the property was very simple and easy and ultimately, everyone got what they wanted in the end, no less no more.

But what the Op stated, I have heard about and met a few people that were in short working on making it a night mare.

Now the funniest thing I ever heard of, was where a woman, in short, was upset at her own children, all 4 of them never visited, never checked in, nothing. So in her will she sold her entire estate to her neighbor for 4 dollars and each child got 1 dollar from the sale and it was upheld by the courts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join