It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. threatens to withhold aid cash to Palestinians

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxMech
a reply to: daaskapital

I agree that "It doesn't matter who in the US recognized it", but it was done more than 20 years ago, and not by Trump, as you claimed.

All other presidents (including Obama) agreed with this recognition as well. They all invoked the waiver provision, as did Trump on December 6, 2017. And he will continue to do so during the following years. Maybe, if he is still in office in 3-4 years, the US embassy will be moved to west Jerusalem (which is agreed to be the Israeli capital by most countries anyway).

I said 'Trump willingly handed Jerusalem to Israel'. It is quite a broad statement, but considering he is the current President and allowed the decision to take effect, i don't see the problem with my statement.

Fair point on the second.

In my opinion, East/West issue wan't addressed because this is something that needs to be negotiated.
Currently Israel has control of both east and west Jerusalem. For them to give up east Jerusalem is to divide their capital. Obviously they want something in return. This is not something for a foreign president to decide on. This needs needs to be negotiated.
If the Palestinians are willing to negotiate peace, there is nothing preventing them from demanding control of east Jerusalem.

Apparently, the act itself recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital, and foresees it as an undivided city. That, including the lack of use for the East/West prefix in official statements, leads me to believe the contrary - that the US considers the total of Jerusalem as Israel's capital city.

I don't see why Israel should get something in return for letting go of East Jerusalem when they are illegally occupying it in the first place. Yes, they de facto own it, but it is still illegal and they shouldn't be rewarded for it.

I can't agree with you as nothing was said about east Jerusalem. The embassy will move to west Jerusalem, not east.
This is really a matter of perspective. For a Palestinian it's a recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital (which is apparently
good enough reason to start riots and kill random people). For an Israeli it's meaningless, as nothing changed.
IMO, reality is the latter, as the embassy will stay in Tel-Aviv for years and the recognition was done a long time ago etc.

I maintain my opinion based on what i wrote above, so we will agree to disagree. I disagree that Palestinians have the right to instigate violence leading to death. I also disagree that the USA's recognition of Jerusalem is meaningless for Israel - the people and the president were very happy with it, to the point that Trump is now having places named after him in Jerusalem. Nothing has changed now, but it is a huge symbolic decision which adds some weight to Israel's claim, in my opinion.

edit on 3-1-2018 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

originally posted by: daaskapital

originally posted by: Sapphire

Are you guys blasted, im just wondering because youre weidling crosses, stars and russian hammer thingies.

Lol. Check out the Doug Anthony All Stars if you want to see where i got my username from, and why those symbols are in my signature. DAAS are an Australian comedy group who were quite prolific in the 80's and 90's.

Why aren't you prolific now?

I'm not DAAS. I just used a name of their show as my username.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

oh ok, so you guys aren't really triplets right?

jk

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

originally posted by: pirhanna
I only want to know why we cant stop giving everyone money. Bs i say.

You dont understand what money is. Undestand that and you will answer your own question.

Apparently monbey isnt the Influence it use dto be with nations who do not like us to begin with.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Apparently, the act itself recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital, and foresees it as an undivided city. That, including the lack of use for the East/West prefix in official statements, leads me to believe the contrary - that the US considers the total of Jerusalem as Israel's capital city.

As mentioned, this a matter of perspective. There is no reason that east Jerusalem can't be a future Palestinian capital. I don't see how an american embassy in west Jerusalem can prevent this.

I don't see why Israel should get something in return for letting go of East Jerusalem when they are illegally occupying it in the first place. Yes, they de facto own it, but it is still illegal and they shouldn't be rewarded for it.

In 1968 Jordan attacked Israel and lost. During this conflict Israel sized east Jerusalem. If Jordan would step forward and demand to have it back I would agree. But they don't, because the act of attacking Israel was illegal by itself. Why would they get to break the law but get to enjoy it's protection?
As for the Palestinians, they don't have any legal claim for east Jerusalem. So yes, if they want a Palestinian state, which never existed before, and they want east Jerusalem to be their capital, which it never was before, I think Israel should get something back (i.e. the right to exist in this region and live in peace).

I maintain my opinion based on what i wrote above, so we will agree to disagree. I disagree that Palestinians have the right to instigate violence leading to death. I also disagree that the USA's recognition of Jerusalem is meaningless for Israel - the people and the president were very happy with it, to the point that Trump is now having places named after him in Jerusalem. Nothing has changed now, but it is a huge symbolic decision which adds some weight to Israel's claim, in my opinion.

Fair enough.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

You dont understand what money is. Undestand that and you will answer your own question.

Ummm...leverage...money is a crowbar...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...leverage...money is a crowbar...

YouSir

not so much these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join