It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Just Created The World's First Time Crystal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Ok this is one the single most mind blowing things i've read in the past week. Amazing ain't it? (full credit for this article can be credited to JanAmosComenius here www.abovetopsecret.com...) Thanks for the link article man.

Time Crystals. Come on this science stuff keeps getting more radical by the minute I love this stuff! I'm still only half way through this but wow it's bending my mind.

These things actually exist! BEC CREW 7 OCT 2016 Just last month, physicists made the best case yet for why time crystals - hypothetical structures that have movement without energy - could technically exist as physical objects. And now, four years after they were first proposed, scientists have managed to add a fourth dimension - the movement of time - to a crystal for the first time, giving it the ability to act as a kind of perpetual 'time-keeper'. First proposed by Nobel-Prize winning theoretical physicist Frank Wilczek back in 2012, time crystals are hypothetical structures that appear to have movement even at their lowest energy state, known as a ground state.

Now a team from the University of Maryland have tried out such an experiment, and it looks like it actually works.

As MIT Technology Review reports, in theory, the process is fairly simple - you just need to create a quantum system, where you 'hold onto' a bunch of ions in the shape of a ring, and then cool them to their lowest energy state.

www.sciencealert.com...
edit on Tue Jan 2 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
TL;DR
No flux-capacitor needed. Doc was all wrong!

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Adapted for space travel ?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The researchers have submitted their results to the pre-print website arXiv.org, to be picked over by their physicist peers, so we'll have to wait and see if their experiment can be independently replicated. But if it can, we're only just beginning to realise the potential of the incredibly strange time crystal.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Blender5L

Not to crack your enthusiasm but isn't movement without energy a violation of the law of conservation of energy? This sounds like free-energy.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

If only we could resurrect Tesla we'd know for sure.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Damn you science, you love dangling the carrot.

When I was a kid it was just the three states of matter-Liquid, solid and gas-Then Plasma gatecrashed the party and heated things up, then the was the Bose Einstein condensate which was cold like my Ex-girlfriends, and now we have time crystals that can hopefully erase the memories of my graduation night.

What makes me sad is that we may never find the governing force-strings-in our lifetime.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

The Tesla free-energy transmission stuff probably would have been unsafe for human cells.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yeah, that's how it starts. First. we find time crystals, next thing you know Thanos is sending the Chitari to attack New York.

(Just bookmarking this for later reading.)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The Tesla free-energy transmission stuff probably would have been unsafe for human cells.

I'm more than sure Tesla would have perfected unusual flaws in system by now.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
What makes me sad is that we may never find the governing force-strings-in our lifetime.

The movements are probably caused by sub-string energies forming into rogue wave points popping through into our space-time dimension. Just because you can't measure something doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the sub-fabric of reality.

I was having an argument with a physicist friend mine about where the energy is coming from to fuel the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe. I was trying to be cheeky by saying since more energy is going to the acceleration than is known to exist in the Universe, then isn't this live evidence God is participating in the act of creation right before our eyes. What he said after was kind of stunning to me. He said the amount of energy in the Universe that exists includes the amount going into the acceleration. Meaning, there is no God. I gave up.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

It’s moving without using energy. Something else causes the movement, I think it is caused by “breaking time symmetry.” I don’t know what that means.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

When I was a kid it was just the three states of matter-Liquid, solid and gas-Then Plasma gatecrashed the party and heated things up, then the was the Bose Einstein condensate which was cold like my Ex-girlfriends, and now we have time crystals that can hopefully erase the memories of my graduation night.

Yeah I know right?

Hope is a funny thing, who knows what new querks quarks and quantified newbies might show up in the next say ten years even.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

What makes me sad is that we may never find the governing force-strings-in our lifetime

I think about that all the time. What are we going to miss? We are still at the infancy of so many tech advances.

If They could safely freeze people for 500 years and wake them up I would consider it.
edit on 2-1-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

isn't this live evidence God is participating in the act of creation right before our eyes.

For all we know, what's perceived as God could be a mass of Intelligent energy entangled negative ionic movement affecting how our brains receive and process information.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blender5L

isn't this live evidence God is participating in the act of creation right before our eyes.

For all we know, what's perceived as God could be a mass of Intelligent energy entangled negative ionic movement affecting how our brains receive and process information.

Or, in other words, without God we would not be capable of having meaningful thoughts. Maybe there's a deeper connection between the observer and what is observed than we currently have in our standard model. Maybe what constitutes the human mind actually exists more outside the brain than what is inside the brain.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
But ya need a "sonic screwdriver" to make em work . Else they go back to the common "ground" state of all crystals

Time Crystals Are (Not) Interesting

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well of course! I always knew time crystals were a thing, ever since I played my first Final Fantasy game.

Although in game they functioned a little differently

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
But ya need a "sonic screwdriver" to make em work . Else they go back to the common "ground" state of all crystals

Time Crystals Are (Not) Interesting

From your link.

Hey the guy has my mic!
edit on 2-1-2018 by Blender5L because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join