It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chocolate is on track to go extinct in 40 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Yes you heard me, Chocolate is to become extinct in as little as 40 years. I don't entirely believe this, we can create anything now so how could this possibly happen to Chocolate! Chocolate?? Ahhh come on this has to be a joke right?

Well apparently it's no joke.

Under the watchful eye of Myeong-Je Cho, the director of plant genomics at an institute that's working with food and candy company Mars, the plants will be transformed. If all goes well, these tiny seedlings will soon be capable of surviving — and thriving — in the dryer, warmer climate that is sending chills through the spines of farmers across the globe. It's all thanks to a new technology called CRISPR, which allows for tiny, precise tweaks to DNA that were never possible before. These tweaks are already being used to make crops cheaper and more reliable. But their most important use may be in the developing world, where many of the plants that people rely on to avoid starvation are threatened by the impacts of climate change, including more pests and a lack of water.

Here we go, the big C word. Climate Change. But wait, didn't NASA say something about a mini Ice Age by 2030? Oh man now i'm confused as hell. Yet, THIS:

Cacao plants are slated to disappear by as early as 2050 thanks to warmer temperatures and dryer weather conditions.

www.businessinsider.com...

Either they're getting their wires crossed and made a booboo with this or one of them is wrong.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Its a tropical species. It thrives in WARM.

Yawn.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I choose NASA! WINNER TAKES ALL.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Chocolate will not go extinct without GMO. All they need to do is to move the plants to an area where it will have better conditions because of the change in weather. Go more towards the poles and in soils that can support the proper growth.

Science is trying to scam us to make us believe that they are the only answer. Just move the plantations.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Blender5L

Yes, women need chocolate at least once a month and after anything traumatic. But we already mostly vote on the side of science.

If you want to reign in the men, post an article about how climate change is going to make bacon extinct.

edit on 1-1-2018 by Abysha because: spellinz and claritition.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Well as a matter of fact ....

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I agree, there is no chocolate shortage. But there might be a few brain deficient people running this story. That or people have gotten so dumb that they hadn't thought of moving it someplace else.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Science damnit we've been through effing Ice AGES and we still have chocolate, bananas, citrus, mangoes and durian fruit.

And add to that: coral reefs.
edit on 1-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Bacon is not extreme enough, make beer disappear and much of the male species will be happy to follow it into oblivion.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
It wont become extinct, endangered perhaps.

I forsee massive indoor grow house farms in the future.

Foods like chocolate and honey will become luxuries due to supply and demand and your average Joe will be regulated to the dollar menu and high fructose corn syrups.

I would suggest saving up for a modest plot of land, some chickens, goats and a greenhouse but when the SHTF, it was never yours.
Look up Japanese Americans 1942 and ask yourself if you really own anything.

Astronomical luck is the name of the game now at the end of this rat race.
-Win the lottery
-Buy remote real estate
-Build a fortified self sufficient superbunker

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I know, like when banana's were going extinct, never happened.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
We still got oysters to woo the lady folk.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Psilocyborg

or D. Euthenize yourself and save yourself a future of grief, and no chocolate. If pc's and cel phones were forced into extinction by climate change '''professionals''' in the name of Climate Change , I can safely say most people would go nuts within the week.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
dont let the fear mongers scare u. they also said bananas would be extinct by now and yet they are still going strong and creating new varieties yearly. i love the reasons given for their gene altering when theres a a natural way of breeding in the genes we want. i have a feeling in not too long a time everyones going to find out just how bad our altered crops are for us and the detriment that will have on the natural systems. we should diversify instead of going to one singular crop per plant type. thats just setting ourselves up for disaster

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I'm not calling you a liar because you're just reporting what's in an article. But the claim in this article's title is preposterous.

Here's a link with the global cocoa production numbers from the 1980s through last year (HERE). As we can see, global cocoa production for the crop year of 1980/1981 was around 1,695 thousand tons (1,695,000 tons). The preliminary numbers for the 2016/2017 crop year were an all time high of 4,552 thousand tons (4,552,000 tons). Chocolate will NEVER go extinct as a product as long as modern civilization exists (choco-holics like myself would never allow it).

As for the claim that existing cacao plants will eventually go extinct because of blah, I think that's more a case of wishful thinking from the featured guy in the article. If they can get the existing plants replaced with a patented Mars-owned variety, that would make them a ridiculous amount of money. So of course they'd try to convince growers to replace their existing plants with these new varieties.
edit on 2-1-2018 by enlightenedservant because: "existing plants" not "exiting plants"

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

Cavendish Bananas are under major threat, but its disease not global warming.

edit on 2-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: TheScale

Cavendish Bananas are under major threat, but its disease not global warming.

yup weve moved away from that variety cause its doomed. funny fact banana candy is flavored to taste like cavendish bananas yet taste nothing like the variety we eat today.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   
People won't really care about environmental degradation until their favorite foods go bye-bye. Chocolate is a huge blow.

When coffee beans and tobacco die off, there will be no point in sticking around this place.

But really, I have this concern that the masses won't notice anything really wrong, despite the constant reports, until the stores in the first world are bare.

We could do a whole lot better for our planet and ourselves ...and not necessarily live like "cave men."

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blender5L

I know, like when banana's were going extinct, never happened.

Look up Canvendish and Gros Michel Bananas, you'll see a clearer picture of what they are talking about.

Chocolate on the other hand is in a global shortage due to the rise of the middle class in China and their growing taste for chocolate as well. Anyone noticed the changes in Toblerone bars and etc to smaller portions of chocolate?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
If you want to reign in the men, post an article about how climate change is going to make bacon extinct.

Thankfully the pig is a like a mammalian cockroach and can live almost anywhere and eat almost anything.

Soylent Green will be bacon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join