It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers Start Quoting Meat Loaf Lyrics Just Because

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This was funny as heck when I read it. Meat Loaf Wars in the Senate, who would have thought they liked the band so much they'd toss a little meat loaf at each other?

Politicians with humor, who'd of thought right?

RACHEL MARTIN, HOST: All right, so we're going to lighten things up a little bit. In the hallowed halls of the U.S. Senate, it is common practice to quote history's great orators when making your point - Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Gandhi.

DAVID GREENE, HOST:

Right. And then came a banking committee hearing on Tuesday. Senator Sherrod Brown of the great state of Ohio rose to speak out against a piece of legislation whose very title promised three things, the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief and Consumer Protection Act.

So it starts out like this, john A quotes james B and on it goes from there.

SHERROD BROWN: As Meat Loaf used to sing, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. But this bill doesn't even meet the Meat Loaf minimum. GREENE: Yes, Senator Brown was quoting Meat Loaf. The king of 1970s melodramatic pop became worthy of the halls of Congress. (SOUNDBITE OF SONG, "TWO OUT OF THREE AIN'T BAD") MEAT LOAF: (Singing) 'Cause 2 out of 3 ain't bad. MARTIN: But would you believe it did not stop there?

CHRIS VAN HOLLEN: Meat Loaf also said, life is a lemon and I want my money back. So on behalf of all the consumers who got the short end of the stick from Wells Fargo and Equifax, I want to have a bill to make sure they get their money back.

So like here's the rest of it.

iowapublicradio.org.../0

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Blender5L

I am still puzzled as to what Meatloaf meant when he said that he would do anything for love except "that". Perhaps those politicians ( being the non-committal characters that they are) will soon be saying: "I would do anything for my country, but I won't do that."

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
His name was Robert Paulson.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Golden Rule
I am still puzzled as to what Meatloaf meant when he said that he would do anything for love except "that".

As far as I recall, the answer came at the end of the song, so "that"was actually referring forwards instead of backwards.
I think it was "give you up" or "let you down", or something along those lines.

P.S. Thanks to the link from Neo96, we can see that the solution to the puzzle is;
"Sooner or later you'll be screwing around. I won't do that. No, I won't do that."

edit on 1-1-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

What?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Substitute love for A VOTE.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I want you, I need you, but I dont love you........2 out of 3.

Actually, its a very old English saying, being used for years before Jim Steinman put it to song.

It meant, 2 out of 3, is better than 1 out of 3.

Like, one bird in the hand, is worth more than 2 in the bush....etc.

Nothing new (70s) or "Meatloaf" about it.

Of course, if they referenced..."Missed it by That much", at least we all know what and where that comes from...

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
When I was much younger, I was once at a Meat Loaf concert, front row center.

During the performance, Meat Loaf dramatically flicked his hair, and some of his sweat hit me. It burned for days.

It was better than a t-shirt.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
I want you, I need you, but I dont love you........2 out of 3.

Actually, its a very old English saying, being used for years before Jim Steinman put it to song.

It meant, 2 out of 3, is better than 1 out of 3.

Like, one bird in the hand, is worth more than 2 in the bush....etc.

Nothing new (70s) or "Meatloaf" about it.

Of course, if they referenced..."Missed it by That much", at least we all know what and where that comes from...

Yeah, but the Senator was quoting Meatloaf because he said he was quoting Meatloaf.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Golden Rule
a reply to: Blender5L

I am still puzzled as to what Meatloaf meant when he said that he would do anything for love except "that". Perhaps those politicians ( being the non-committal characters that they are) will soon be saying: "I would do anything for my country, but I won't do that."

I would believe that, i'm a bit pizzazzled about it myself but it damnwell gave me a good laugh.

top topics

join