It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some news about legalize marijuana sales

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: Theprodicalson

a reply to: luthier

This is what you are not understanding.

A person can obtain seeds and grow marijuana without getting the items from an authorized outlet. That means they arent taxed and because they arent paying the tax they can get the item cheaper than from an authorized dealer who has to include the tax. Because there is no way to determine how a person obtained the marijuana you cant prosecute them for violating the law. Because you cant prosecute, you cant get the taxes owed.

So what? Who cares?

The USA is not going to devolve into anarchy and caos cause some people didnt pay tax on there weed.

Your point?

Do you even understand the discussion we are having?

Let me help - We are discussing how California's recreational marijuana law is flawed in that it undermines itself by creating a situation where the item in question cant be taxed or traced which means no oversight.

My point is its a non issue.

Let states do as they want in this regard, its not harming anyone.

and at no point have I said California is wrong. What I am saying is their law is defective as it cant be enforced.

Does it need to be enforced?

I really dont see the issue except the state losing some tax.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

A person can obtain seeds and grow marijuana without getting the items from an authorized outlet. That means they arent taxed and because they arent paying the tax they can get the item cheaper than from an authorized dealer who has to include the tax. Because there is no way to determine how a person obtained the marijuana you cant prosecute them for violating the law. Because you cant prosecute, you cant get the taxes owed.

So what? Who cares?

The USA is not going to devolve into anarchy and caos cause some people didnt pay tax on there weed.

Your point?

Let me help - We are discussing how California's recreational marijuana law is flawed in that it undermines itself by creating a situation where the item in question cant be taxed or traced which means no oversight.

and at no point have I said California is wrong. What I am saying is their law is defective as it cant be enforced.

and if you read the articles and watch California officials speak on this topic they are expecting billions of dollars in revenue. They just dont see the fatal flaw in the law they created and that it will accomplish the complete opposite of their intent.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
I can't believe how utterly stupid it is that many fellow Americans can walk into a store, browse around and purchase their favorite strands of MJ while it is completely illegal in other states.

Ok, so this so far is my favorite post in 2018. I figured I would reply so that I have an existing post now in 2018. Lol. Happy new year.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

So what? Who cares?

Your point?

and if you read the articles and watch California officials speak on this topic they are expecting billions of dollars in revenue. They just dont see the fatal flaw in the law they created and that it will accomplish the complete opposite of their intent.

Well the end result is some disappointed politicians who look like idiots...... hardly the end of the world.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Theprodicalson

Exactly, ALL of the recreational marijuana legal states base their laws off of Co/Or-besides WA which is it's own that does not allow growing your own. These states are doing well. It wouldn't be far off to say they could meet a billion plus in revenue.

The smaller population states:
. Washington State topped 1 billion in sales
$168 million in tax

. Oregon pays out $85 million in pot taxes to school fund, cops, other services - Source

. Marijuana taxes in Colorado surpass $500 million milestone - See here

edit on 1-1-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2018 by dreamingawake because: editing error

edit on 1-1-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: Theprodicalson

Unregulated alcohol can poison or blind folk without accountability.. Unregulated MJ is just MJ. We can cry them a river over the taxes while we're getting baked.

Not necessarily. "Unregulated" maryjane might just be oregano or some combination of non-maryjane products. Or people may even mix it with addictive substances to get customers to keep coming back for that specific brand/product.

I've seen people who got hooked on coc aine because they smoked with people who'd laced their blunts w/o telling them. And I've also heard of police searching homes for growing okra because they thought the okra leaves looked similar to maryjane (the point with this example is that some people can apparently be fooled into thinking okra & maryjane look alike).

I'd remind people to look at the barely regulated supplements industry. It's regularly busted for fraudulent claims, ranging from things like having actual steroids in their products to having significantly less of the active ingredients than what the packaging claims.

The simple truth is that people have shown that we'll consistently rip other people off if there aren't consequences. I'm all in favor of legalizing maryjane. But if there are going to be retail versions of it, it needs to be monitored (just as the supplements industry needs to be more closely monitored).

The solution would be to allow people to grow whatever they want because that would clear up the vast majority of fraud. But the legal issue there is when people start trading it, selling it, or transporting it. That goes into the same issues we have with growing tobacco when compared to selling it, transporting it, etc.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   
And of course the obvious: www.borderlandbeat.com...

In the last three years, the amount of marijuana seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at border crossings and international bridges has fallen by nearly half — from 602,795 pounds in 2015 to 338,676 pounds in 2017.

During the same period, methamphetamine smuggling steadily climbed from 29,001 pounds seized at border crossings in 2015 to 44,065 in 2017.

Separately, agents with the Border Patrol also saw a spike in methamphetamine from 6,443 pounds in 2015 to 10,328 this year.

Meanwhile, the opioid crisis in the U.S. is fueling demand for heroin from Mexico as Americans addicted to prescription medication search for alternatives when they can no longer get a prescription for the painkillers or afford them.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Fraudulent produce is not unique to any goods though. Do a poor grow and you have a poor yield, unattractive product, reduced potency etc but no one is getting a trip to hospital that they actually needed.

The last 50 odd years proved that.

Booze is a different kettle of fish, bad booze blinds.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

originally posted by: TheBlackDog
8 ounces for $65 is one hell of a deal, are you sure you don't mean grams?

Sorry I have never bought any and know very little about the industry..... I misread the eighth-ounce bag as 8 ounces.. I did edit the comment; thank you..
lol, that was the most scripted mk ultra response if I ever heard one.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

How do you increase the black market of the drug through legalization?

In Colorado, before legalization, pot was 100% black market. After legalization, it's about 24% black market. Are you suggesting that the 100% black market grew its revenue by more actual dollars than it lost when a little over 75% of users ditched Dave the dealer for the pot shop on the corner?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

So what? Who cares?

Your point?

Well the end result is some disappointed politicians who look like idiots...... hardly the end of the world.

So you keep repeating when no one cares about the politicians.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

In Colorado, before legalization, pot was 100% black market. After legalization, it's about 24% black market. Are you suggesting that the 100% black market grew its revenue by more actual dollars than it lost when a little over 75% of users ditched Dave the dealer for the pot shop on the corner?

With taxes and no way to "regulate" the industry it would be cheaper to buy from current sources who arent caring about paying the taxes attached that legit dealers are paying.

Supply and demand... Are you going to buy from a state licensed dealer or someone else?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

With taxes and no way to "regulate" the industry it would be cheaper to buy from current sources who arent caring about paying the taxes attached that legit dealers are paying.

Supply and demand... Are you going to buy from a state licensed dealer or someone else?

Wonder why that hasn't happened.

And wonder why they have inspectors for the dispensaries?

Oh well your speculation is better than the facts I guess?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Calendar Year
Total Revenue
$67,594,323
$130,411,173
$193,604,810
2017 (Jan-Nov)
$226,157,028

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

and since it allows people to grow their own plants at home inspection of dispensaries make no different then now does it.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

and since it allows people to grow their own plants at home inspection of dispensaries make no different then now does it.

Again your agreement is a fallacy. Of you buy the weed at a dispensary you know it's potency and it's inspected. Of you grow at home its up to you.

Just like beer.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Calendar Year
Total Revenue
$67,594,323
$130,411,173
$193,604,810
2017 (Jan-Nov)
$226,157,028

Stats are for California?

If so then you are comparing apples to zebras.

Those numbers are based on medical marijuana sales. Where a person must see a doctor to get the prescription and the must go to an authorized dispensary to obtain the marijuana. A controlled system where taxes can in fact be collected and accounted for.

Recreational law does away with all. of that, making it almost impossible to track who owes what taxes because it must rely on the honor system. The fact you can grow it at home further makes it impossible. Buying it from unlicensed sources again makes it impossible because there is no way to tel if the marijuana came from an illegal source or a licensed source.

What part of this can you not understand?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Again your agreement is a fallacy. Of you buy the weed at a dispensary you know it's potency and it's inspected. Of you grow at home its up to you.

Just like beer.

Why spend money at a dispensary when i can buy it cheaper, and without recourse, from an unlicensed source.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Ask the millions of people doing it. For quality. Like anything else.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Stats are Colorado.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join