It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

While you were all focused on BTC

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Agree. So why the need for XRP. AKA the Ripple coin? There is no mining of the network.

XRP will be what provides the instant global liquidity. The network is essential for its value. Truth be told I'm more interested in investing in Ripplenet, but it isn't a publicly traded company.

XRP is a liquidity vehicle for cross-border inter-institution transactions. That's everything from moving global accounts to accessing cash at an ATM in a foreign country. In order for this to happen you need to be able to provide that liquidity faster, that means a much larger market cap. Something bitcoin could never do.

If you're trying to compare the purpose of bitcoin to the purpose of XRP then you're missing the point.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I would really suggest reading that reddit thread.

Edit to add:

Like anything else I will wait for an official announcement from Coinbase.

But it would be outlandish to think Coinbase wouldn't list XRP.
edit on 31 12 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I bought in @ .85 and $1.36.

Reached to 2.15 before a pull back.

I'm letting that mutha ride.

Neo needs some new shoes

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The value of all existing cryptocurrencies is probably about to be wiped out by technological advances rendering Moores' law and therefore the blockchain, invalid.

Probably this year.

Happy new year everyone and don't get caught out

edit on 31/12/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

The value of all existing cryptocurrencies is about to be wiped out by technological advances. Probably this year.

Got a source for that claim?

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
That's a hell of a spike.

coinmarketcap.com...

Number 2 by volume.

coinmarketcap.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

The value of all existing cryptocurrencies is about to be wiped out by technological advances. Probably this year.

Quantum prime factorization algorithm - December 2015.

Quantum computing on standard silicon - May 2016.

Microsoft releases it's Quantum Computational language and utilities for Visual Studio - December 2017.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Most top coins can be used for instant liquidity. The network is not secured by miners buy by a few nodes. Small points of failure.

To be clear, even though that is the point of the op, I'm not a fan of bitcoin per say, just the security and crypto aspects over ripple.

The purposes of most coins is the same. Currency, cryptography, security and adoption.

Ripple, to me, is not among the best besides adoption as it's valuation would suggest. However there remains no way to truly know given ripples infrastructure.

Again, not saying it won't or will be on Coinbase, just adding a little water to your kool aid.

Simply being in crypto is the benefit.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

You know as well as most that steps are already being implemented to deter q computing. It's a hurdle, not a stop sign.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

You know as well as most that steps are already being implemented to deter q computing. It's a hurdle, not a stop sign.

Those steps may protect new coin based upon the revised Q resistant blockchain but the existing coin, based upon existing blockchain POW/POV code, is hosed.

The solution is to jump ship before it sinks and then wait for the new Qcoins to emerge before reinvestment.

Also, expect the growth to be less than stellar for the new Qcoin because too many people will have been burned and will be as unable to reinvest (having been wiped out financially) as they are disinclined to put their fingers back in the trap.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well they threw water on Bitcoin early on.

Now it's made a snip load of multimillionaires.

It's even odds for ANY crypto.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Quantum prime factorization algorithm - December 2015.

Quantum computing on standard silicon - May 2016.

Microsoft releases it's Quantum Computational language and utilities for Visual Studio - December 2017.

Do more work on this.

IOTA, QTum, QRL, started as quantum resistant. IOTA itself is built from the ground up to be quantum resistant IoT currency, and it doesn't even have the same blockchain architecture. Both QTum and QRL use different algorithms specifically meant for data encryption that is difficult for a quantum system to crack. Their authentication processes are different so they don't all work at the same speeds.

Ripple is aware of quantum resistance, but they strategize that waiting a few more years to absorb more data from existing quantum systems will help them implement the right algorithms.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

In its current state, yea. Scaling difficulty with hashpower will probably be a thing. It's this lack of forethought that put most bitcoin clones in the spot they're in.

Pos, dpos etc is looking like the way forward.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

But most top coins aren't nearly as scalable and won't be implemented by The Man.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Are you saying in your opinion that crypto currencies have a chance of surviving q computing.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Of course they do.

Look at the early days of the stock exchange.

Basically the same process only the tech has changed.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Some, yes. Proof of work, i.e.. mining is what's at risk. Some wallets with lack of security features as well.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Agree. Again why I'm interested in Cardano.

Having access by instead of supporting banks is a better procedure IMO.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
My only gripe with Ripple is the reserve for the address/account.

It varies from place to place.

Gatehub its 50.

Poloniex it's 20.

I hate leaving money on the table like that.
edit on 31-12-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

In its current state, yea. Scaling difficulty with hashpower will probably be a thing. It's this lack of forethought that put most bitcoin clones in the spot they're in.

Pos, dpos etc is looking like the way forward.

I agree and like some of the crypto ethos, the thing is that I see the crash as very immanent.

When Q machines become retail items, the uptake is likely to be bigger/faster than the smartphone. The first ones will be as a co-processor or add-in card (as per Microsoft's expectations).

I don't think it wise to go to the wire until jumping ship. Just unnecessary risk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join