It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking of buying an Air Rifle.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

Yeah a nice bit of mahogany

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Catch_a_Fire
a reply to: EvidenceNibbler

In air rifle terms, 19fps isn't bad .... the legal limit here is @ 11fps.

It's not fps (feet per second), it's ft lbs (foot pounds). The legal limit in the UK is 12 ft lbs without a firearms certificate.

ft lbs calculator

Interestingly if you go over this you need a section 1 firearms license. It's actually easier to get a shotgun certificate.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: PaddyInf

originally posted by: Catch_a_Fire
a reply to: EvidenceNibbler

In air rifle terms, 19fps isn't bad .... the legal limit here is @ 11fps.

It's not fps (feet per second), it's ft lbs (foot pounds). The legal limit in the UK is 12 ft lbs without a firearms certificate.

ft lbs calculator

Interestingly if you go over this you need a section 1 firearms license. It's actually easier to get a shotgun certificate.

Yes, I'd realised my mistake when drawn to it by evidencenibbler. I'd always used ft/lbs as a measure with air rifle power so why I made that mistake, ill never know

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

I bought a .22 that fires 1250 fps. Its enough to kill an armadillo with a pellet.

Armadillos kept digging up my yard, and my chihuahua dislocated both knees one day when she tripped in one chasing a rabbit.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Hhhhmm mm Armadillos soft on the inside with a lovely crunchy shell.
Hhhhmm mm Armadillos!.
You guys have much better critters

edit on 11-1-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

The armadillos in the southern US carry Hansons Disease (leprosy). You become infected by eating the meat.

I hear they are tasty. But i need all my body parts. Lol

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Also racoons blimey I wish we had those.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

So did you buy this thing or not? And if so, did you put your eye out yet?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well I got one but not the gamo. My local gunsmith talked me out of it so I got an underlever stroeger P40.
Fired 2000 pellets through it and the grouping at 30 yard is all in a ten p piece.
I had it tested and it is a tad under the legal limit and the guys at my local range say it has some power behind it.
Loving the experience and I have joined an air rifle club whom have already invited me to go and kill a load of rats at a local farm.
Hey I bet by this time next year I may get a .22lr

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I went to a real shooting club today and shot a .22lr

Right save up for one and a gun cab and in 6 months going to apply for a gun licence.
Going on a barnyard rat shoot next week also

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Gamo .177 Whisper. With scope and silencer. Use the heavy pellets. Crossman are OK. Gamo pellets no so good. After 1000 rounds gun is still on. I can put a pellet through 5/8" plywood at 50' Thing will rip through a Grackel. I have taken over 300 grey squirrels with it.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting No funner round out there for plinking.my 1022T Ruger will put 30 shots in a hole less than dime size at 30 yards all day long .Gotta love a good .22.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Crossbow! 1000lbs or something, with crank and all that.
Just try not to kill anyone. lol.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Sorry but an air rifle can be used to kill larger animals I saw a guy kill a whitetail dear one time it was 22 calibre he used it instead of a regular rifle because he was poaching out of season to feed his family and he had been baiting a dear in woods behind his house and did not want the report to get law called on him by neighbors.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

If you get up on it close and thwap it directly in ye olde brain case, that should work just fine. I've heard of poachers taking deer with 22 shorts even which are not exactly chock full of kinetic energy.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join