It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Lamp

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

or the resistor on the dimmer is giving out

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!

I don't think that works with possession.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!

I don't think that works with possession.

You’re absolutely right, kets...

DROWN IT WITH WATER!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I had a freaking problem with my smoke detectors, there was a power surge, and they started beeping. So, I switched the batteries out for a new set, and it helped one, but not the other. The batteries were fresh. So anyway, I eventually switched the second smoke detector back to the first battery, and it worked fine.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Is that something that can be replaced?
Is it part of the socket?

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You can order anything from Amazon almost. But have you tried plugging it in another Outlet yet?

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Nothing weirder than electricity...total mind if it's own.....easy to posses by spirit though
they find it very easy to communicate with us using anything electrical

Sparky Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Your lamp has taken sides with your computer...
SAVE YOURSELF!!!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It is a touch lamp. They use the bodies capacitance to operate the switch circuit.

Internally, the capacitor that checks against the bodies is giving up the ghost.

It is a simple repair for anyone that has electronics as their hobby or work.

Not a hard fix.

P

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Well, we turned it off and on several times this afternoon....and so far it has worked.

Saving the new outlet for tomorrow

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Have you tried threatening the lamp in a Stern voice?

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

And gave it some dirty looks!

Is the resistor hard to replace?

How would we know that is the problem...or is that part of the plugging it in elsewhere.
TBH, I do not think the outlet is the problem.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

It sounds like a wire issue within the lamp itself.

If other things work fine in the same outlet, it's likely not an outlet problem. If the bulbs work fine in every other socket around the house, it's not a bulb problem.

I actually have two of the touch-dim lamps with and off swicth that are probably 30 years old, but have not had a problem.

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a regular lamp, and just rewired the cord from the socket.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Death-dating. It probably was only good for seven years, consider yourself lucky.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Well, something a little bigger is needed, it's for the living room

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Touch lamps use the capacitative change when a large conductor like a human body touches one of the terminals on a large value internal capacitor.

Things like general humidity, the value of the capacitor and the conductivity of the skin all affect the change.

Generally, as the touch lamp circuit ages, the value of most capacitors will reduce over time.

This means that the effect of other things in the circuit will change the likelihood that it will 'trigger' properly.

Also, different types of light globe have different electrical properties. Most touch lamps require lower wattage incandescent light globes to work properly.

Replacing the capacitor (which probably looks like a reasonably large cylinder) should fix the problem. Try and get a replacement the exact same nominal value.

Safety stuff !!!! - you must read :>

Please note that the capacitor is probably an electrolytic type which has a positive and a negative terminal. You MUST wire the new capacitor in the right way around, so take extra special care noting the orientation of the original. Also, capacitors store up charge. Even unplugged from the mains it may still give you a jolt, so it is wise to ensure it is discharged by using a large resistor across its terminals for a while. Don't direct short it, like with a screwdriver, because that's unsafe, too.

edit on 31/12/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

That, and in the morning (when it's cold) they may not have enough potential (static) electricity to discharge the capacitor in the lamp and fire the switch. Once the heat is on for a while, the humidity drops and the static potential goes up quick.

DTOM, you mentioned you've taken a bulb out when this happened and it worked in another lamp, and you also mentioned if you just remove and replace the same bulb it won't work (which is odd, but anyway). Have you tried rotating a known working bulb which had been put in another lamp?

After reading this thread it sounds to me like the problem is following the temperature (humidity) in the house more than any other single factor. As Pheonix says, it may be a capacitor, but it could also be some other things like a flaky ground connection on the lamp plug itself. Is it a grounded plug (i.e. 3 prongs), or just a 2 prong plug? You might just try bending the prongs a little on the lamp plug connection at the wall.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   

If its a touch lamp, perhaps it needs a 3-way bulb?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join