It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's how much millennials are earning annually across the US

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

It really depends. The thing is as a sub you get to decide where your money goes and can bid on and run your own jobs. In the union you are subject to what the union wants and they want you to start as an apprentice no matter what which my take is garbage for years.

So basically I can start at square one or work outside of the union and they are barely surviving. They just consolidate all of the unions halls into 1 in my state due to the fact that they are barely surviving.

I work on a lot of rate jobs because they are starting people at wages they can't survive on and they are constantly needing guys like me to do the work anyway.
edit on 30-12-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It's a very complex problem.

I am 33, I think that makes me an old millenial.

On one hand, millenials are getting a raw deal. The next generations will be even worse. As the debt increases, they will be the ones to pay it.

On the other hand if I spend 150 thousand dollars to get a women's study degree, what do i expect?

I make about 35 thousand a year and love in rural Pa.

A reasonable house around here is about 70thousand.

I love wit my wife and get by pretty good on my money.

I know many people my age that refuse to work many jobs.

Manual labor is still big here.

Easily the biggest impediment to these people getting a job is they can not pass a drug test.

So I can see both sides of the debate.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Well, I live in a hard middle class town where people can either work in the trades or do nothing really. Manufacturing jobs here pay about 15-$20 an hour for the skilled jobs, the union jobs pay the same.

it's basically poverty if you have a kid.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I know a certain segment earns big here, but the rent and groceries is so high the median can't afford it.

Thats the problem,, inflation, deflation, shrinkflation, and price gouging.

The people making 150 k a year don't have to pay rent.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Here its a million plus.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Here its a million plus.

That's a huge difference.

Well if people are willing to work with their hands, my area could use young people.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Think about it, even at $20 an hour which is where most of these jobs cap out at your not looking at a bright future anymore, your looking at a dead end job where you have to work 60 hours a week to make 50k a year most of which goes to Obamacare for the family, rent, food, car insurance and bills.

You are scraping by if you have a kid, if your single you can do nothing and save.

People don't want these jobs because they don't pay enough for someone to sacrifice their entire lives putting effort into something they will have to suffer on.

And I don't blame them.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Me neither. I used to make a good living on 20 bucks an hour (gross).

Wages haven't kept up with rising costs. Companies would rather lay off and move overseas than raise wages to keep up with cost of living here at home. The xtra benefit of moving is overseas tax shelter.

Used to be tariffs protected the US worker, plus Organized Unions.

Reagan killed the Unions back in the 80's, tariffs were lessened so companies could move overseas and increase profits, leaving american workers in the unaffordable dust.

edit on 30-12-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
How many of these people got a degree in an area that is heavily saturated with degree holders.

How many turned up their noses at working with their hands when there are companies willing to train 18 yr olds and pay good wages.

Look at a single aspect and drawing conclusions is intellectually bankrupt exercise.

Least thats my nickles worth.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I remember when I was about 20 I was at my friends house playing some video games on a Saturday afternoon, his father came down and called us lazy to get a job. After some words he went on a tangent about how he got his job in the early 70s, he walked into the Petro Canada oil refinery and ask if they were hiring. They hired him on the spot and he became an fully licensed industrial millwright mechanic within 3 years.
Yea try that now days.

I busted my ass in trade school, working full nearly full time, got laid off three times, and just finally landed a good job, and still can't swindle an apprenticeship with the company. Millennials aren't lazy, they aren't given the chance or the pay / incentive to pursue anything, decent company's only look for the 'golden gem' and small business' can't afford to pay. There is no middle ground anymore.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Well if people are willing to work with their hands, my area could use young people.

That's the problem, the majority grow up mechanically disabled. They do everything with the tap of a finger and don't know the meaning of labor.

And the role models these kids had, sheesh. The Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Barack Obama... disgusting.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Here its a million plus.

Oh don't suggest THAT Grambler. People would rather bitch about what they don't like than DO something about it. I have mentioned many times about opportunities outside one's area and the need to sometimes go/do outside a comfort zone to support oneself in the manner of their choosing but too many seem to think that if they complain and blame everyone and everything but themselves it will somehow resolve the situation.

The unemployment rate is the lowest it's been since 2000, or so I've heard. I've seen many companies and states where minimum wages are going up. It takes time to rejuvenate a poor economy and get people working again.

I will say that the marijuana criminal laws need to be wiped out in every state. The states that have decriminalized are drawing thousands of people from states where it is still criminal. This puts a burden on the lax states to provide housing and employment and drains the pool from the other states from which to gain employees.
edit on 30-12-2017 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

Here its a million plus.

Oh don't suggest THAT Grambler. People would rather bitch about what they don't like than DO something about it. I have mentioned many times about opportunities outside one's area and the need to sometimes go/do outside a comfort zone to support oneself in the manner of their choosing but too many seem to think that if they complain and blame everyone and everything but themselves it will somehow resolve the situation.

The unemployment rate is the lowest it's been since 2000, or so I've heard. I've seen many companies and states where minimum wages are going up. It takes time to rejuvenate a poor economy and get people working again.

I will say that the marijuana criminal laws need to be wiped out in every state. The states that have decriminalized are drawing thousands of people from states where it is still criminal. This puts a burden on the lax states to provide housing and employment and drains the pool from the other states from which to gain employees.

To balance this out: The homeless rate has been the highest in American history, and not only America, but even worldwide homeless is horrible today.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

people would rather be homeless than work with their hands!

lazy losers!

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

wait, these lazy skilless losers cook at home instead of eating out?

if they got jobs using their hands they could afford to eat, wussies.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Every single Millennial is lazy, they don't show up for work and they have degrees in liberal arts. I knew it. Lazy bastards.

Just a tad of a over generalisation there????

Honestly I could say the same about anyone born in the 70s, doesn’t make it true.

I know loads of people in their late teens early twenties who work hard and do loads, really pissed me of the way older generations take a dump on the kids of today like this. “Lazy bastards” you say..... well those lazy bastards are future doctors keeping your family healthy, the troops keeping you safe or the guy fixing your car.

Your sarcasm meter appears to be broken

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I will be yielding 250-350k in income this year. I am 31.

Some may be ok with making less, but that's none of my business.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
I will be yielding 250-350k in income this year. I am 31.

Some may be ok with making less, but that's none of my business.

Stop the Presses!!!

Frame that!

...just frame it.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

You guys will understand better when the 60 million people living in poverty show up on your front door.

I don't even have to make an argument.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: SR1TX

You guys will understand better when the 60 million people living in poverty show up on your front door.

I don't even have to make an argument.

Why is it our fault that 60 million are in poverty?

How did my creating a business and living for myself make others live in destitute?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join