It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell Us What You've Discovered In Your Lifetime Mega Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: raiden12

Don't let people run around in your head rent free.

Always remember that your mind is like a bad neighborhood........you don't want to go in there alone.

Moderation truly is the key.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If you buy Dark Souls on Steam for the PC you will need a controller.

~Morpheus

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
There is true power in prayer

Only you can choose to be happy

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I have a few.

Listen to old people, they have made many mistakes and if they are willing to share they don't want you to make them too.

Family is only DNA, sometimes you will have friends that are much closer than family and that is OK

Grow some of your own food, you'll realize how F#cked up our food system is and what we are eating is so far removed from what is natural.

Life is short, have fun, take chances, don't be stingy. Seriously, don't be stingy, whatever you give will come back to you.

Happiness is a choice.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

What I have discovered in 20 plus years of research into UFO's...
1.UFO's are real.
2.UFO pilots are NOT extraterrestrial.
3.As a people,we have more to fear from under our feet,than from the sky.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
1. If you buy something for $4.97 and give someone a $5 plus 3 pennies...they'll almost always give you a dollar back.

2. Murphy was smarter than Confucius.

3. I like my dog better than most people.

4. The X-ray glasses advertised in the back of the comic book don't really work.

5. Gravity hurts.

edit for extra credit...

6. Without "they" a conspiracy cannot exist.

edit on 12/30/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera

I've learned a couple big ones:

1. In the software industry, there are two kinds of jobs: Those that wear you thin, and those that inspire you to grow, learn, and experience new things. The ones that wear you thin are usually the ones that make you the most of the money.

2. I've come to realize that, as I am closing in on the end of ITT's student loan mishap for good...that money doesn't matter as much to me as my happiness. I've already started working towards my retirement career (instrument repair), and I will also be able to find a position in my industry that calls out to me.

3. For those going to college, by now, I'd say you're almost better off watching and learning via youtube/the internet. Save yourself some money and peace.

4. Left-Foot braking (with a front-wheel drive car) - My mind was blown when it was suggested to me to look into this for winter driving. While I can't claim I became a super winter driver, I can say that it helped give me some confidence on my steering ability.

5. Stop trying to date friends, and don't hesitate to make new ones. All my friends are getting married around me; I stopped worrying about getting married a long time ago, because right now, I have yet to find anyone that can put up with me.

6. The Illuminati card game from 1995 is actually real, and I own about 400 cards of the set, several ripped from never-opened packs. Yep, I'm a master-level conspiracy nut now, and the proud owner of a couple copies of the infamous 9/11 card.

-foss

True about the software engineering jobs. My experience applies to the UK

1. Avoid areas run by left-wing councils or with high crime. The companies or even the local government there will block you from learning new skills for fear you might leave for somewhere better. That's burnt me twice.

2. Avoid one company towns or contracts that require three or more months notice. They will take advantage of the fact that you can't change jobs. That's burnt me once.

3. Avoid universities. Even if you do get a blue sky project and turn a bare patch of land into a golden palace, somebody (your supervisor, head of department or principal) is going to snatch that work and give it to their mates.

4. Time is the most valuable commodity you have. With it you can learn new skills. Keep your commutes as short as possible.

5. Build up a social network - both friends and professional. Join meetup groups. Avoid socially isolated areas.

6. Keep your skills up to date. Watch all the developer conferences on Youtube. That will give you a heads up five years
into the future (C++/Boost/STL)

7. Maintain a blog of your latest projects.

8. Money isn't everything - especially not big salaries. There are some areas of the computer industry no amount of money would make me want to do, no matter how much they would offer.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

nothing
edit on 31-12-2017 by Nothin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I've discovered that this thread isn't very mega yet.

I've also discovered that sometimes in life, you have to force a smile. I'm not advocating being fake or "faking it till you make it". I'm simply saying that sometimes we must CHOOSE to be happy.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: jaymp

With 14 yrs of ATS under your belt, are you not understating things a bit ?

😉

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Great Idea for a thread.

There are many ways to the top of the mountain and they all get you to the top, but only your way is up your own mountain.

We choose our mountain like Sisyphus.

Sisyphus smiled on his way back down. He was the wisest mortal.

Atlas shrugs. The strong and talented need not be praised as teaches the Tao. The teacher and the student must be respected in order for the class to learn.

Balance is the fundamental law of living. There is no progress without imbalance towards something. Taking on great study is not natural or balanced, though a master is not tired after his task.

There is no order without chaos. Time is a destroyer and only the soul, the Atma lives on.

Pain and struggle make the one in the arena stronger and more loved. Their victory makes them greater at their ability to love.

A big heart can always love one more. can always forgive one more. can always remember one more.

love conquers all when you believe. Faith is the means, hope is the perdition of the means.

Fate is unavoidable, Destiny is never set in stone. Even water a drop at a time can destroy a mountain built 1 stone at a time. Again, time is a destroyer.

Be free of yourself whenever possible.

Do not linger on your failures or victories too long. Never be disrespectful and impatient with a loss or a win.

Hold your devil down. Lift your God high.

Hold your patch of ground you stand on. Hold it down.

Have a good one.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Nothing is promised, not even tomorrow.

You can work longer and harder than anyone you know, but if you aren't capitalizing on the right opportunities, or investing your time and energy into something that benefits your goals long term (health wise, time wise, financially), you probably will never reach those goals.

Your loved ones will perish one day. Sometimes, that day could be today, and because of a tragedy, at a young age. Because of this, you need to honor them and remember this on a frequent basis.

Act accordingly - messages to myself that I wish I had heard 10+ years ago!
Maybe someone else will benefit from my insights. Love and light to my ATS fam.

<< 1  2   >>

join