It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Swatting" prank may have led to death of a man

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: jidnum

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Irishhaf

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: roadgravel

And he apparently has a history of calling in bomb threats to various agencies and buildings. For the lulz

Seriously though, what relevance has that got to do with a totally innocent man being literally executed on on his own front porch by police?

If he doesn't make the call the guy does not die...

That kind of logic is like saying, she wouldn't have been raped if only she didn't dress that way...

The victim did nothing to deserve to be executed on his front porch like that.

You keep saying the word "Executed". He wasn't Executed and yes. the guy is right, if he never made the call, the guy would still be alive. you cannot deny that. It also cannot be compared to "if she didn't dress like that she wouldn't have been raped". Apples and oranges my friend.

The victim was guility of no crime, he simply stepped onto his front porch to see what the issue was, which means he was clearly 'executed', with 1 round to his head...

Also, its not an "apples and oranges" comparison at all..The suspect was a victim of a horrible crime, commited by police that was in no way any fault of his own... which by the way cost the poor man his existance on this earth.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

The police have some resposibility , the so called prankster should be curb stomped before his life prison sentence as well.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

Well, I'd say a videogame might be worth more than the at fault guy, who orchestrated the call for the swatting.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
America, get control of your police, and stop letting them get away with murder an execution and then digging for excuses, however tenuous they are, to justify the murder.

This one was an execution, pure and simple.

That cop either goes to jail, with a death sentence, or you have proven your cops are allowed to murder people and are above the law.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Criminal charges should be brought up against the gamers who make such prank calls, and the judges should give them the worse punishment and you will some other idiotic gamers stop doing these prank calls.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

What a bunch of horses--t

Indeed... but it sure ain't mine.

Yes, lets have the murderous psychopath play 20 questions also before we take em serious.

Yes, as that's exactly what every single dispatcher does on every single call... they ask questions. Lots of questions. In fact and in deed, that's exactly how the police officers found out every bit of FALSE information they were acting upon. By the one making the call. Every single piece of information that YOU are claiming is sooooooooooooo threatening they got from that "murderous psychopath" except that the guy who's dead wasn't that murderous psychopath -- but they sure took him serious, eh? And now a man is dead. For no fault of his own -- well, except that he couldn't win Simon Says.

Further, in a real world hostage situation, as this guy claimed this to be, hostage negotiators do in fact and in deed make contact with the perp in efforts to negotiate the release of the hostages. As I'm sure you know -- despite your little tirade.

So, yes, horses--t indeed. But it sure as hell ain't mine.

Ever consider a person may be so high on something they barely know what a house is, much less the cars outside.

Oh golly gee... did the cops ever consider that the person who called dispatch was so high on something they didn't know what they were talking about? Did the cops ever consider that the person was a psychopathic lying liar and making the whole damn thing up? Did YOU ever think that it's pretty damn common for people to make false reports -- for whatever reason -- and that people will be MURDERED if that information is false and the police make no damn effort to verify or confirm any of it before going in with guns blazing?? Of course you did. You just don't give a rat's patootie.

And how the hell would anyone even know what cars are outside your house anyhow?

How? With your eyes!!! Maybe the person can't answer the question and can say so... maybe it's an apartment and the person could say such... maybe their home doesn't face the street and they could say such...

I also noted that those with real experience and knowledge of these situations could probably come up with even more ideas and even better ideas. I based my suggestions upon what I know police ALREADY DO!!!

Apparently, you like the situation just as it is and don't want to do a damn thing to save innocent lives... Okay. If you want to be the person telling the rest of the country that it's too much trouble for cops to take any precautionary measures to save innocent lives, okay. You can be that person. That's your choice.

you want tracking done on all cars in some national database that shows everything in real time?

Quite an imagination there. Or just hyperbole.

You way would get people murdered.

And your way is already getting innocent people killed.

Thank god people like yourself aren't calling shots...damn keystone cops.

you're wanting magic..gotcha.
If only we had some sort of genie..oh well.

No, I want people safe, and I want the people we hire to keep us safe to do their jobs correctly.

And I very seriously doubt you'll understand this, but I also want to keep our LEOs as absolutely safe as possible, and I want to give them the absolute best training and equipment to keep them safe -- including their heart and soul and conscience. And my heart and soul and conscience cannot accept turning our brave and honorable and noble police officers into murderers. And please don't play semantics with me... I know that "murder" is defined as the unlawful taking of a life, so I realize that as long as the law (color of law) says it's okay, that they won't be prosecuted in a court of law for a crime. But a life was still taken, and any police officer with a conscience will suffer for it. Even when justified. And if, in his/her heart, he/she knows that it was not necessary, they will suffer that guilt for the rest of their lives.

Not magic. Just common sense and a conscience.
edit on 31-12-2017 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

And he apparently has a history of calling in bomb threats to various agencies and buildings. For the lulz

Seriously though, what relevance has that got to do with a totally innocent man being literally executed on on his own front porch by police?

It’s not any less relevant than posting his mugshot. Or posting his name. You finally manage to get on your high horse and all of a sudden you get to dictate what everybody can talk about?

Forgive me, massa, for daring to comment on the guy that got arrested for starting to whole scenario in the first place.

edit on 31-12-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
so isnt there a culpability situation here?

if i sell you a drug and you die i am at fault.
could it not be looked at this way?

i know it is not the same thing but i am thinking of it the same way.

calling in a fake situation is certainly a crime. if the person who called it in had not done that then the events would not have happened.

can it be looked at legally that way?
honest questions.

remember that girl that 'talked' a guy into suiciding himself via text messages? i could be way off but i think that was the situation. pretty sure she was charged.
wasnt the whole argument if she did not do that h would be alive?

again i could be off but i know people are more privy to some of this #.

where does culpability start and stop?

can the kid be looked at as at fault?

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I don't think many people are doubting the culpability of the guy who made the call, but that doesn't really excuse the cop. It was still the cop who made the decision to pull the trigger and end this mans life, without reason or justification.

Twist it however you want, it doesn't alter the fact that the cop pulled the trigger. The cop fired the bullet. The cop killed the innocent man in cold blood for the crime of opening his door. What are you meant to do? Lay on the floor, face down, arms outstretched and wait for them to to kick the door down and come in guns blazing anyway?

The cop was in zero immediate danger, percieved or otherwise. Now that cop needs to be on death row for murder. Maybe the person who made the call does too, but he's not the one who pulled the trigger, but that cop definitely needs to be on death row.

But we know he won't, because people are already trying to make excuses for him.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This does not bode well for this guy's sentencing... if he even goes to trial, and doesn't plea bargain.

Man arrested in L.A. in fatal 'swatting' hoax in Wichita, Kan., has been accused of making false threats before

Two years ago, Tyler Barriss called in multiple bomb threats to the Glendale offices of KABC-TV Channel 7, prompting a mass evacuation.

Barriss was charged and eventually convicted in connection with the hoax, one of several high-profile incidents at the time that focused attention on the act of crank-calling known as "swatting."

LAPD Officer Mike Lopez said Barriss was arrested Friday afternoon on a fugitive warrant. He is being held in Los Angeles County Jail without bail, Lopez said.

Barriss’ alleged bomb threats to KABC-TV in 2015 triggered a large police response. Prosecutors said Barriss also allegedly threatened a relative to prevent her from reporting the threats.

Court records show other convictions against Barriss, including a violation of a protective order.

This sounds like one sick little puppy. I read somewhere that he also claimed to make money providing his swatting "services" to others...

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

If he doesn't make the call the guy does not die...

That kind of logic is like saying, she wouldn't have been raped if only she didn't dress that way...

The victim did nothing to deserve to be executed on his front porch like that.

Nope, as far as the cops knew this guy had already killed, and was planning on killing everyone still in the house, they were primed by the guy that made the call to kill at the slightest provocation to protect the hostages.

So if this punk does not call, the victim survives there is no getting away from that fact.

If it had been a real call, and they did not act like that, and the hostages died as a result people would want the officers fired at least, I am sure some of the cop haters would want them to face jail as well.

edit on 31-12-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The following video post by another youtuber contains the entirety of the chain events, from the actual 911 call to the camera, news release, interviews etc..
Please take it all in and reserve judgement without bias until the entirety of the situation can be grasped with all the details that were available to emergency services at the time.

The only solution would be that 911 does not exist because the ridiculous proposals to vet calls for an emergency line that is to be regarded as only to be used for situations in which imminent assistance by emergency services is required.
Every call is supposed to be treated as REAL requiring a time sensitive response, that is why it exists. What some people are acting like is to treat it like the non-emergency line.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Nope, as far as the cops knew this guy had already killed...

Nope. As far as the cops were told, this guy had already killed. They had absolutely no personal knowledge of any crime at all -- much less a murder. They only knew what they had been told -- not the truth of it.

However, there is absolutely no doubt that the cops did and do know that people lie and that people make false reports -- including "swatting."

So there was room for reasonable doubt.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

I don't think many people are doubting the culpability of the guy who made the call, but that doesn't really excuse the cop. It was still the cop who made the decision to pull the trigger and end this mans life, without reason or justification.

I think it's far more complicated than this. The officer acted in accordance with his training... that's his reason and justification, and why I doubt he will be charged and tried -- much less convicted. As long as the those calling the shots are telling him (and all officers) that this is the good and right thing to do, that's all the reason or justification needed.

It's not right. It's not good. It's not just.

But we have to attack the root of the problem and the rot starts at the top. It's easy for the public to blame the cop on the beat, and the top brass likes it that way. They're quite happy we're hating on the cop and completely ignoring them. But the cop is doing what he's been trained to do, and cops will continue to do so until we make the proper reforms. Such as practical precautionary measures I previously posted about.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Don't the police have caller ID like everyone else?
I mean, if someone is calling with a California Prefix saying he has taking hostages in Kansas be the first clue that it may be a prank and to handle the situation more carefully with that in mind?

Also, it was reported that when the man was shot, the 911 caller was still on the line talking. Hello?
It looks like shoddy work and a case of going in with guns blazing.

There are already laws on the books for these situations.
Making prank calls is illegal, so is murder.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

So we go back to my explanation, if they drag their feet because they are trying to verify before responding and hostages do die, folks will want their heads on a platter. They rush and someone dies that shouldn't people want their head on a platter.

It is one of the few things I have seen in my life that is a no win situation, maybe the police should be shifted to let what ever happens and they just clean up the mess and file reports for insurance.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

In todays connected age caller id does not matter, plus there are programs out there that can mask where you are actually calling from.

I have read stories of a live streamer getting attacked and people called the police to report it from outside of that town and the cops arrived to help the victim.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

a reply to: jacobe001

In todays connected age caller id does not matter, plus there are programs out there that can mask where you are actually calling from.

I have read stories of a live streamer getting attacked and people called the police to report it from outside of that town and the cops arrived to help the victim.

This is true. You can even move to Kansas from California and keep your cell number intact so it will report that you are calling from California. But, it should still be used as additional information since most caller ids do originate where the person actually is.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

a reply to: Boadicea

So we go back to my explanation, if they drag their feet because they are trying to verify before responding and hostages do die, folks will want their heads on a platter. They rush and someone dies that shouldn't people want their head on a platter.

It is one of the few things I have seen in my life that is a no win situation, maybe the police should be shifted to let what ever happens and they just clean up the mess and file reports for insurance.

Isn't this the case with the majority of calls anyways where they come for the cleanup?
I mean, if someone gets in an altercation and one kills the other, it is already over?

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

Don't the police have caller ID like everyone else?

Caller ID is ridiculously trivial to spoof and cannot be relied on for anything more serious than casual identification of the caller. Even debt companies are spoofing different caller id's, so that their victims pick up instead of letting it ring out.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join