It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safety regulations to prevent another Deepwater disaster thrown out today!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I just read an article in today's NY times that the regulations that were created to prevent another oil spill (the largest in US history) in FL for Deep Water oil platforms has been thrown out!!!
So Nothing is going to change and it is likely to happen again ! Are you ok with this? No ok so from today you have 10 days to comment ...yeah New year's weekend I'm beside myself reading the article!! This is what we should be in the streets about!

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

Link?

Don't worry, the corporations will do the right thinking when no one's looking. Right?
edit on 29-12-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

For future reference its polite to include the reference article in posts like these. I will assist you this time:

www.nytimes.com...

In an attempt to be as dispassionate and unbiased as possible I will post what I believe is a fair shake at both sides of this argument:

First, Trump and his administration claim that the regulations are placing an undue burden on the energy industry, which in turn is having extended ramifications that effect the economy as a whole. It is my understanding that they are viewing anything that would improve the economy as a priority (even if it comes with increased environmental risk), as the economic engine driving the entire system stands to benefit the most people in the country. Additionally, they also argue that the regulations themselves are flawed and serve primarily as a cost sink rather than an effective safety countermeasure to the industry.

The argument against is elucidated thoroughly in the article, but in summary it is stated that the regulations were put in place following the Horizon deepwater disaster, and that rolling them back pretty much allows operators to utilize the same shoddy equipment/methodologies/shortcuts which is likely to lead to another horrific environmental disaster.

Now that that's out of the way, my opinion on the matter is that we have two different viewpoints competing: 1. Those who believe the environment is sacrosanct and needs to be prioritized above economic drivers, 2. and Those who believe that first and foremost it is most important that the economy (and as many subjects within it) thrive before we start limiting growth for the sake of the environment.

I side with viewpoint 1, as I believe the OP does as well. I don't think short term economic gains are worth permanently damaging the environment (which can have long lasting effects not just on the area but also directly towards peoples health).

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Thanks! Well said ....I think I need to go back to school starting with a good writing course!
edit on 29-12-2017 by TheJesuit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I seem to remember there was evidence that some people were "in the know" for even the deepwater horizon incident. I'd watch companies making strange purchases as well.

Cheney Deepwater Horizon Connection

Haliburton Horizon Connection

Raw Story Source

ome observers see a conspiracy in the actions of the company once headed by Dick Cheney. Halliburton, which built the cement casing for the Deepwater Horizon’s drill, announced its purchase of Houston-based oilfield services company Boots and Coots for $240 million on April 9, just 11 days before the Deepwater Horizon explosion. According to a report at the Christian Science Monitor Friday, Boots and Coots is now under contract with BP to help with the oil spill. The company “focuses on oil spill prevention and blowout response,” CSM reports. Halliburton’s purchase is not yet a done deal — it’s still awaiting regulatory approval, though few observers think the purchase won’t pass muster.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

These were hilarious, thanks for sharing again.

However, I can't determine if your position is one in support of removing the regulations, or rather for maintaining the regulations.
edit on 52am17famFri, 29 Dec 2017 10:49:29 -0600America/ChicagoFri, 29 Dec 2017 10:49:29 -0600 by Wayfarer because: spelling

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

God forbid we let the health of our one and only environment stand in the way of making more money. Especially when some of that money may very well go full circle and end up back in a politicians campaign coffer.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

God forbid we let the health of our one and only environment stand in the way of making more money. Especially when some of that money may very well go full circle and end up back in a politicians campaign coffer.

You gotta love the retarded mindset of greedy dumbasses.

When we've finally destroyed our planet, and ourselves, the aliens will have quite a view. Here's how my minds eye sees one of their conversations.

"What is this?" (Alien holding a dollar bill).

"The humans made those and traded them for goods that they made"

"Why didn't they just make what they needed and work together? It was a beautiful planet"

"They valued the paper (dollar) more than their planet."

"That's extremely ignorant."

"That's why they're dead."

"Should we recreate them?"

"F$CK NO! They'll just destroy it again."

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I am one of few Florida citizens in support of drilling off our coast. Drill the hell out of it! We also have great potential for wind turbines along our coasts, but for some reason this is not being taken seriously in the legislature.

We need more real production jobs in Florida, too much is based on service. Our primary export is aviation/electronics , agriculture, and phosphates, making us sixth place in exports. With energy production, I believe we could easily enter the top 5, if not the top 3
marking an econmic boon for the citizens of Florida. Please state reps, open up our coasts for drilling and unleash the river of production that is energy!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Drill the hell out of it! We also have great potential for wind turbines along our coasts, but for some reason this is not being taken seriously in the legislature.

Its mostly just right up against the very coast, where all the rich houses are.

That was a critique. And the bastards I sent blowout repair inventions to their tip email thing, they better have them built already.
edit on 29-12-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I bet with all the regulations being rolled back we the consumer will still see gas prices going up.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

While I am not a Florida resident, I agree totally.

We need more blue collar jobs.

We are losing way too many good paying jobs to over regulation and political interference. While I think there is a fine line between taking care of the environment and keeping America working, we do not need to stagnate the economy. Green energy is great, but the amount of well paying jobs does not even come close to making up for jobs lost to regulation and energy companies inability to cost effectively operate within these regulations.

I always say that without work, starving people cannot enjoy the environment.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi
They will stay under $3/gal for some time. Remember their is a global supply glut of oil now that Iran is back in the market and Iraq, Syria, and the Kurds have regained their oil back from ISIS. That is why Venezuela has crashed after all, without being properly diversified they were unable to deal with the price adjustments from the extra production entering the global market.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Deepwater Horizon - with all the experience and technology, decisions with possible deadly outcomes were still made by a guess. Damn the protocols, full speed ahead to the bank.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Florida has been opposed to drilling near it's shores for decades. Glad they will be soon sharing is some of the mess.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

S$$$ happens. Yeah, companies have engineers and managers make a risk assessment and management has a thumb on that scale but society demands cheap gas and energy.

I'm kind of selfish, I want the A/C and heat to be economical, I want the lights to come on when I flip the switch, reasonable prices for food and junk from Wally World or the local grocery. When I still had a car, i wanted to fill the tank without getting a loan.

So, if the price of all of that is some dead birds, dead sea creatures and tar balls on a beach that's OK. The company and government will clean most of it up and insurance will pay for a lot of it.

Rinse and repeat.

I sure don't want a $5,000 a month electric bill or $100.00 / gallon gas due to excessive regulation on production and exploitation of our resources.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I enjoy the white beaches in Florida.
So, keep it offshore please.

Tampa Bay is already approx 110% flesh eating poopwater, so maybe this could sterilize it a bit?
Who knows.

My stance is against, since we will probably never see the savings, but will see the giant rigs wrecking the view.

Bad for the tourism Florida requires to function off of.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

So as long as you get cheap gas the environment can get fecked?.
We don't deserve any of it far too selfish.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I think it's time to tear down another statue!

Or take a knee when tanking up the car!

Let's just hope no more accidents occur.

Canadians have a saying. . . "It's a fait accompli".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join