It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professors claim farmers’ markets cultivate racism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Some do. Mine does, or some of the stalls do...

yeah the one by me does too.
the prices are about the same as you find in the grocery store but you get different # and better #.

everywhere around here takes EBT.
i dont think i have been in a store that sells foodstuffs that does not take it.
gas stations
dollar stores

even this place accepts it. all the vendors i mean and the # here is high end and banging

westsidemarket.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yup. I'll miss this local market when I move. About the only thing I'll miss from this area--but that's rant for another day.

There's a gentleman here who harvests mushrooms of all sorts, both ones he grows himself, and the ones he gleans out in the woods...

Various melons are very popular here--some I've never even heard of--grown by an old couple from seed stock they collected over the years, or bought heirloom seeds...

...and the good food that some of the Hispanic and Asian folks cook for sale is to die for. So good.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Hopefully you find an equally as good one near your new digs. And look out for ramps when they come into season sometime in early spring.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Professors these days are pretty much educated idiots. Who are they speaking for other than themselves. They must take special meds.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm told they're pretty good. Combination of flea markets, which I love, and farmers markets. One or two of 'em are, anyway. That'll be fun!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
So basically what they are saying is that improving a neighborhood is making the people that made the neighborhood bad in the first place unable to stay in that neighborhood because the improvements raised the property values in the neighborhood.

Uh, huh...

Usually it's the Mexican-Americans and Asians that move into the African-American neighborhoods. White hipsters into organic food move in, buying and flipping properties by turning them into apartments and renovating homes. Then wealthier white singles move in. Then the African-Americans get displaced and end up on skid row:

video.dailymail.co.uk...

It happens just about everywhere now. East Menlo Park and Palo Alto had the reputation of being the areas with the highest murder rates in the USA. They were actually tiny little housing subdivisions bounded by motorways on all sides, so all the crime was concentrated on a handful of streets by teenagers shooting it out for drug money. In the end, the need for housing became so high and the costs of legal processing (judges, defence lawyers, prosecution, transcribers, witnesses, police time), It became cheaper just to buy everyone out, give them $500,000 each to buy a house in Oakland or wherever.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
a reply to: rickymouse

Hey, man. The potatoes can be many colors, too.

Purple, red, tan...

I must be racist, I only mentioned the tan ones, the color of a cute white girl sunning on the beach.
Gee, I learn something new about myself every day.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: seagull

Hopefully you find an equally as good one near your new digs. And look out for ramps when they come into season sometime in early spring.

dude ramps are the shizzle.
i had never heard of them up til a few years ago. my old boss was talking about them and a couple days later he brings me a bag of them. i dont know where he got them but he said he knew where and when.

they were the jam for sure

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Can someone ask Randall Carlson to pull up the slides to tell these professor how very wrong they are?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I went to a farmer's market in Detroit this past summer. There were people there of all Races. Even watermelons were selling with nobody freaking out.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
What is wrong with the parents?

If I dish out that kind of money for my kids tuition, I am going to see this guys position removed, or sue the school for fraud.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Mercedes is racist because their cars are too expensive for the poor

No, Mercedes were responsible for the holocaust, they were anti-semitic cars but not racist.

Thats why we drive a Bimmer!

en.wikipedia.org...

The Mercedes-Benz 770, also known as the Großer Mercedes (German for "large Mercedes"), was a large luxury car built by Mercedes-Benz from 1930 to 1943. It is probably best known from archival footage of high-ranking Nazi officials before and during World War II, including Adolf Hitler, Hermann Göring, Heinrich Himmler and Reinhard Heydrich.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Funny thing is, one of the farms is owned by a black family. He must be racist too.

No he is a self loathing black.

hehehe

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
dude ramps are the shizzle.

I'm like Bubba Blue with ramps. I can cook them and eat them in countless ways.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
How come they don't complain about Chinese? I mean they call their hood Chinatown. How racist is that?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Then they’ll complain: There’s not enough vegetables in the urban markets

Very stupid. In these markets mostly are minority workers and indeed poor people need to have better dietary habits

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The whole concept of gentrification is outlandishly ignorant. Last year a couple purchased a real eyesore of a building in the Spenard neighborhood in Anchorage. The building was an adult video and magazine shop, all the windows painted over and it's only signage being a huge "ADULTS ONLY" sign outside the building. For years the area around the shop had seen good families move out because of the seedy crowd hanging around the place, only to be replaced by more trash moving into the vacant homes. Anyway, this couple bought the building, closed down the adult shop, and began the process of renovation with the stated intent of building an artsy coffee/tea shop and small book store with a little stage for open mic poetry, book readings, and even some small time plays/performances. Instantly the project was delayed by public complaint that this shop would create gentrification in the neighborhood. Thankfully the delays are done and the shop is now being set up, but I was surprised to see how angry some folks were at the idea of replacing a problematic eyesore with a respectable and family friendly small business.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

There are genuine problems with poverty, but not this.

Gentrification, I agree, is not a big deal since if you’re poor, you’re poor wherever you are…

And anything that makes your community better is always a good thing.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yeah, thats morose though.

Of course your neighborhood changes. People move in, fix it up, cash in for awhile, then cash out and sell while values are high. Then investments stop and decline begins. The people who get pushed out (which, if we are being honest, isn't that many people based on some reports released in 2005:

www.theatlantic.com...

The earliest studies of displacement conducted in the 1980s generated widely varying estimates of how many people are displaced by gentrification. A 1982 study found that roughly 1 percent of all Americans, 5 percent of families, and 8.5 percent of urban families were displaced from their homes between 1970 and 1977 by either eviction, public action, sale or reoccupation, or the changing state of their neighborhood. A 1983 study of five cities (Boston, Cincinnati, Richmond, Seattle, and Denver) found that nearly a quarter (23 percent) of residents in these urban neighborhoods were displaced due to eviction, increased rent, or the fact that the house they were renting was sold between 1978 and 1980. Similarly, a 2001 study of gentrifying areas of Boston by Jacob Vigdor found evidence of heightened housing turnover in gentrifying neighborhoods.

Perhaps the foremost student of gentrification and displacement is Lance Freeman of Columbia University. His 2004 study with Frank Braconi found that poor households in gentrifying neighborhoods of New York City were less likely to move than poor households in non-gentrifying neighborhoods. This of course may have to do with the fact that there are fewer poor households in gentrifying neighborhoods to begin with. Still, the authors concluded that “a neighborhood could go from a 30% poverty population to 12% in as few as 10 years without any displacement whatsoever.” In a subsequent 2005 study, Freeman found that the probability that a household would be displaced in a gentrifying neighborhood was a mere 1.3 percent. A follow-up 2007 study, again with Braconi, examined apartment turnover in New York City neighborhoods and found that the probability of displacement declined as the rate of rent inflation increased in a neighborhood. Disadvantaged households in gentrifying neighborhoods were actually 15 percent less likely to move than those in non-gentrifying households.

So what we have is a rather unscientific sentiment that is supported by individual nostalgia, or that is how it appears to me.

But how is gentrification racist? That is what seems to be the claim. "Normalizing white food" is among the most insane things I've ever seen written by someone not in social science as a career, or wearing horned rim glasses and box dyed red hair.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Odd, isn't it?

Bring a better crowd into your neighborhood and it's a bad thing... People are weird.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join