It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA warning: ‘Unseen’ asteroid set to skim Earth TODAY

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The asteroid was discovered on Christmas day has been given the name 2017 YZ4 , it will fly between the Earth and Moon at an estimated distance of just 139,433 miles from Earth.

2017 YZ4 is a small asteroid measuring between 22.6 to 49 feet which is about the same size as the 2013 Chelyabinsk Meteor.

NASA is closely monitoring the arrival of a previously unseen asteroid that is set to brush past Earth today at 21,362 miles per hour.
The space rock had been invisible to astronomers until Christmas Day when it was first identified.
Now called asteroid 2017 YZ4, it will come past us between the Earth and the Moon at a distance of just 139,433 miles.

The Moon is 238,000 miles from Earth, and this pass is considered a cat’s whisker in astronomical terms.
www.express.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Doooooooooom! Haha sorry.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I am warning that asteroid to stay off my lawn less he has a taste for buckshawt.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Skimming at 139k miles. Really close...NOT!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

this pass is considered a cat’s whisker in astronomical terms

The distance is estimated , it could be closer or it could be further , we will see.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Don't panic; The Simpsons apparently foretells the future.

Now let's all get into Flanders bunker and await the asteroid that will be no bigger than a chihuahua head.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   

NASA is closely monitoring the arrival of a previously unseen asteroid that is set to brush past Earth today at 21,362 miles per hour.
The space rock had been invisible to astronomers until Christmas Day when it was first identified.

YUP! And that's EXACTLY how fast it could happen. The end of life as we know it. I'm not crying doom but I will say we have no real protection or even much advance notice of the possible destruction of our planet and ourselves.

Best to live, love, laugh and....well you know....

Appreciate the here and now and love the one you're with.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
It's a sobering thought that we only managed to spot this - with all our technology - a few days before it reaches us.
Perhaps that is because it was so small - hopefully, they can spot anything bigger a lot sooner!

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Between the Earth and the Moon is plenty close enough for an object no one even knew about until Christmas 2017!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

In the grand scheme of all things spacey 139k miles is what we call a Bawhair here in Scotland.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   

You know what I don't get?? all those potentially life ending bodies floating out there, yet we as a planet is waaay more prepared to end each other over simple isms..sigh!! Maybe our replacement will be much more smarter than we.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

In the grand scheme of all things spacey 139k miles is what we call a Bawhair here in Scotland.

Haha everything is a bawhair away in Scotland.. I was saying ballhair but the Scots told me off for it haha

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
i didnt see any mention of a specific timing or did i miss something

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

If the asteroid is "UNSEEN" then how do they know its there ...?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue

If the asteroid is "UNSEEN" then how do they know its there ...?

It was 'previously unseen', as in they see it now and they didn't before.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Can we see it?.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

It's closer than the Moon is to Earth, so it IS close...

...But yeah, I wouldn't call it "skimming" unless it was 23,000 miles away, which would be the distance that geostationary communication satellites and weather satellites orbit.

edit on 28/12/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Lord its just a very small rock no earth killer .
Say it hit New York or LA the world would still be spinning the next day .
No asteroid winters not much of a dust cloud at all New York or LA well bummer .
NASA estimates we now know were 90 % of space rocks are now seeing there are millions of space rocks .
Lets just say 1 million that leaves 100,000 unknown . out of that 100,000 90 % being smaller then a basket ball that leaves 10,000 unknowns around this size .
Out of that 90% are in one of the asteroid belts leaving around a 1000 with orbits that go out side that .
1 of thous just said hi .
There is a one in a 50,000 year chance a bigger one will hit every year ( bigger being Arizonan creator sized )
Heck a better chance ET will show up and try to move in lol .

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
Can we see it?.

i dont think so, the asteroid is approximately 15 meters in diameter and will be 139,433 miles away from earth, think about it

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Just wanted to add, it's expected to fly by at 3:56 GMT. (9:56 CST)

So, there's still a couple hours for you to find a nice steady desk to hide under or do some last minute "shopping". lol

Link to story with ETA

edit on 28-12-2017 by Eshel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join