It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden camera captures rare pig thought extinct

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
www.bbc.com...

Scientists have filmed one of the world's rarest, and 'ugliest', pigs in a forest in Java, Indonesia.
The Javan warty pig is under such threat from hunting and habitat loss that conservationists surveying its habitat believed it might already have been driven to extinction.

Video is in the link but here is a photo capture of the ugly creature..

Definitely would have one of these as a pet

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011
i'll take him as a meal. Lets drive him back to extinction, hotels don't build themselves! The Earth has a thriving hog industry, whats one specific species going to bother the pig gene pool?

Lets just take them and produce them on an industrial scale for food. Endangered problem solved.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
www.bbc.com...

Scientists have filmed one of the world's rarest, and 'ugliest', pigs in a forest in Java, Indonesia.
The Javan warty pig is under such threat from hunting and habitat loss that conservationists surveying its habitat believed it might already have been driven to extinction.

Video is in the link but here is a photo capture of the ugly creature..

Definitely would have one of these as a pet

Maybe you can,

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

i'll take him as a meal. Lets drive him back to extinction, hotels don't build themselves! The Earth has a thriving hog industry, whats one specific species going to bother the pig gene pool?

As soon as the picture of the pIg appeared in the Java local news the army of poachers that pushed the species to near extinction placed bets amongst themselves who would be the first to kill it. Poachers thought they were extinct too. They weren't, the announcement they were was made so poachers would stop hunting them.

Then some damn fool placed critter cams, discovered a thought to be gone Specie so he could get a PHD.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
I say that the easiest solution to preventing their extinction, if its such a big deal anyways, is to commercialize them for food. But first we have to see if their meat is up to par to what is normally produced in hog farms. If the meat is good enough, then we just bring a few mating pairs to a nice farm, and after a few generations the industrial scale harvesting can begin.

Bam, keep them from extinction by turning them into food.

I used to be all about saving the animals when I was a kid. Then I grew up and thought to myself, wtf matters if this one species of geographically isolated animal goes extinct? Does the family still have hundreds of species around the world numbering in the millions? If so, then one species is really not that big an issue.

Oh heck, hogs are a nuisance pest in the southeast for many an agricultural producers. However, I got to respect their drive to survive. Clearly they have learned to become stealthy and elusive, and that is kind of cool.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I used to be all about saving the animals when I was a kid. Then I grew up and thought to myself, wtf matters if this one species of geographically isolated animal goes extinct?

Because individual species are integral to the chain of life. The niche they fill is important to their local biosphere. These pigs root and turn the soil, carry seeds of fruit far and wide dispersing them in their dung (fertilizer) to maintain the forest.

Most large animals act as natural gardeners this way.

Man comes along and kills them off, cuts down the forest and pollutes the water. Yaaay...

I say give the Wildlife and forest a break, cull Humans.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

It would make for an interesting "Canadian bacon" concept

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
well, you are always welcome to cull humans yourself. it tends to be met with some resistance though. Besides, thats what our first and second amendment are all about today. Population control baby! The right to be stupid and armed keeps the population from exploding in numbers. And its the people themselves that do it. No ominous group selecting specifically who has to be culled. We just do it ourselves when shooting at each other in the streets over a pair of limited edition sneakers.

Maybe these Asian countries should adapt a similar principal, and they won't have such overpopulation issues. It took us almost forty years to add 100 million people to the US, and much of that is actually immigration. Other asian states in that time frame have far surpassed us, and have only poverty and hunger to show for it. Give the entire globe the right to firearms and free speech, and the population will control itself.

Well its Java, so maybe some kind of bacon flavored coffee or coffee flavored pork hybrid product comes to mind?

edit on 12-23-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Pigs are awesome. Despite all their ugliness!

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

well, you are always welcome to cull humans yourself.

I wont have to. Plagues do that.

The denser human populations become, the deeper they encroach into the last recesses of Wilderness, the more likely they will uncover and bring back a never before heard of super bug virus.

Nature will protect itself.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'd definitely try some bacon from it

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I would eat that one.
May shoot it out of pity.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Don't judge a book by its cover?

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
a reply to: skunkape23

Don't judge a book by its cover?
Don't shoot an animal because it is horribly deformed?
I was strangely endeared to that two headed cow.
Time to reassess myself.

top topics

join