It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent Signal Dismantling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
How do we begin to analyze the information that is stored in an assumed intelligent signal.

Hypothetically, let's say we have a signal that we think could be intelligent.

What are our starting points and end points for extracting useful information from this intelligent signal?

At what point in that process would we disclose or publish the finding?

How long would SETI sit on a possible hot potato, before publishing a finding of 'significance' ?

Months ago, I established a high likelihood of intelligence involved with a specific signal. I reached out to SETI and in a very funny cosmic karma, my intelligent signal, sent to SETI, was met with silence. I have yet to receive any contact from SETI.

I am going to be posting my findings and a video explaining the signal analysis in a very public and open format soon. I was hoping to get an ear in, with SETI.

(I will post all relevant information with this signal and analysis in this thread, when I make my public disclosure.)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Wait, are you saying you have a signal? If so from what instrument are you using to capture the signal? If you are using SETI, they would have the same info as yourself, as your PC reports to them.
That is how it used to work years ago anyway.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'm curious too. Glad I'm not a cat, lol.

And same as kurthall from here.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
So! One month into ATS and you have made alien contact and will "be back shorty" with all the answers.
I'll be right here, not really waiting for the greatest discovery ever made, by someone who says "I have it all, just wait".

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
If I’m a hyper advanced civilization there is one and only one communication style I would consider...
What is the most obvious, abundant transmittable form of the universe???
LIGHT!!!

Once my civilization was advanced enough to control [localish] “useless” stars I would set them to pulsate and lay them out in a way which points to my star systems to be deciphered only by other hyper advanced civilizations....

-Chris

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Well, we’re waiting.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
First you want to rule out anything nearby or natural. From what I've seen, they spend exhausting amounts of time ruling out nearby manmade or distant natural sources.

Maybe you didn't get a response because somebody's busy and wasn't able to verify what you gave them. Maybe what you gave them isn't rigorous enough to justify pursuing it. Or maybe they think or know ti's nothing and a waste of their time. Who knows.

In season 3, episode 1, Through The Wormhole has a several minute segment starting at about 10 minutes. It's about a researcher in information theory trying to figure out how to determine if a signal has language.

If anything, it's an interesting topic to me.

en.wikipedia.org - Laurance Doyle...
www.wired.com - To Talk With Aliens, Learn to Speak With Dolphins...
nautil.us - Why Alien Language Would Stand Out Among All the Noise of the Universe...

Over the past decade and a half, my colleagues and I have sought a better way. We have been applying information theory to human and animal communication systems, and we can now tell that particular species could be communicating complex ideas even though we don’t know what they are saying. (We use the term “communication system” in order not to prejudge whether other species have language in the human sense.) Complex communication follows general syntax-like rules that reveal what might be called intelligence content. If we have a large enough sample of the message, we can quantify its degree of complexity or rule structure. In the mathematics of information theory, this structure is called the “conditional information entropy” and is made up of mathematical relations among the elementary units of communication, such as letters and phonemes. In everyday speech, we recognize this structure as grammar and, at an even more basic level, as the packaging of sounds into words and sentences. For the first time, we at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California, have begun to look for this structure in SETI data.

The links go into much more depth. Don't just read the quote.
edit on 12/22/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
SETI is not set up to judge random emails from people who "think" they have found a signal. The have their own source of signals and the protocols to deal with them, which is quite enough work. If you've got something, put it out here, SHOW YOUR WORK, tell us why you think you have the expertise to separate signal from noise, and convince us it is worth pursuing.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

?

I am not here to convince anyone of anything. It is what it is.

This doesn't require me winning anyone over. Multiple astronomers and major observatories already agree with me.

Texas Toast, it's not like I've been alive for only one month. I've been reading ATS for years. This isn't my first account, I just forgot my older account credentials. Either way, my membership on ATS has nothing to do with my thread.

I'm planning on uploading all of the relevant information on the find, tomorrow.

To those who want 'something' until then.

It is a signal that is being, and has been, evaluated by hundreds of researchers. It is a standard transmission of data with a pretty basic EMF spectrum.

Many are looking into it already, my breakthrough on this, is that I found a few earmarks in the signal that are distinctly "Hey, this is a legitimate signal from another civilization. It is statistically impossible for this signal to be natural."

The message obviously does not directly utilize English words and grammar, but essentially that is the meaning of the mathematical message within the signal. I figured out how to identify it. I utilized the thought process of "If this were us, and we sent a message out... How would we prove to another civilization that our message was legitimate?" That was the thinking process that triggered my discovery in this data.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
a reply to: schuyler

?

I am not here to convince anyone of anything. It is what it is.

This doesn't require me winning anyone over. Multiple astronomers and major observatories already agree with me.

Agree with WHAT????? You haven't presented anything at all.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
How do we begin to analyze the information that is stored in an assumed intelligent signal.

Hypothetically, let's say we have a signal that we think could be intelligent.

What are our starting points and end points for extracting useful information from this intelligent signal?

At what point in that process would we disclose or publish the finding?

How long would SETI sit on a possible hot potato, before publishing a finding of 'significance' ?

Months ago, I established a high likelihood of intelligence involved with a specific signal. I reached out to SETI and in a very funny cosmic karma, my intelligent signal, sent to SETI, was met with silence. I have yet to receive any contact from SETI.

I am going to be posting my findings and a video explaining the signal analysis in a very public and open format soon. I was hoping to get an ear in, with SETI.

(I will post all relevant information with this signal and analysis in this thread, when I make my public disclosure.)

SETI follows rules handed down from the various intel agencies, and they aren't "supposed" to discover any extra solar intelligent signals for up to 20 years. Seth Shostak is always publicly debunking anything to do with any alien intelligence, but has stated he expects to discover something within 20 years. SETI is a joke plain and simple. Not surprised they won't correspond with anyone who may have something good for them.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Well...? "Tomorrow" has passed. It's been a few months. Do you have anything further to share with us?

I'd be very interested in seeing anything published, or at least significantly more detailed, than what you teased us with in your intriguing trailer in the OP.

*sigh*

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Outrageo

The Op is a fantasist desperate for attention.

"I am not here to convince anyone of anything. It is what it is."

Then why is he/she even posting?

"This doesn't require me winning anyone over. Multiple astronomers and major observatories already agree with me."

Then why does he/she not name them?

"I'm planning on uploading all of the relevant information on the find, tomorrow."

That didn't happen.

"It is a signal that is being, and has been, evaluated by hundreds of researchers. It is a standard transmission of data with a pretty basic EMF spectrum."

Evaluated by hundreds of researchers the OP doesn't name. A standard transmission of data with no reference to the standard. A pretty basic EMF spectrum means absolutely nothing. Its the type of dialogue Star Trek writers used to insert into the script to make something sound scientific.

"Many are looking into it already, my breakthrough on this, is that I found a few earmarks in the signal that are distinctly "Hey, this is a legitimate signal from another civilization. It is statistically impossible for this signal to be natural." "

Many un-named people. Does the OP actually state why this signal is legitimate and impossible to be natural? No.

"The message obviously does not directly utilize English words and grammar, but essentially that is the meaning of the mathematical message within the signal. I figured out how to identify it. I utilized the thought process of "If this were us, and we sent a message out... How would we prove to another civilization that our message was legitimate?" That was the thinking process that triggered my discovery in this data."

Does the OP give any hint of the message at any point? No.

MODS: Shut this abortion of a thread down.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Heterodyning.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
And he never did post it!
THEY got to him!

sighs! Never say you will post some thing like this.
JUST Post it.
dont give THEM a chance to get At you.

posted on Jul, 20 2022 @ 12:12 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join