It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so cheap??

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

"I just don't like when people generalize and then concern themselves with what other people do when it is not hurting them at all."

We could say that about a lot of stuff, like women voting, civil rights, the environment. These things do hurt us all in the end. I've seen it get worse in just 20 years!! This Halloween there was a story about a woman that didn't want kids that weren't from her neighborhood getting her Halloween candy. Did that impact me directly, no, but if more people start thinking like that it will. It all starts with something small. Maybe as I age I get nostalgic about the good ol' days. Maybe I am spiteful and come across that way from some crazy stuff I have seen people do.

I'll give you an example, There is a guy that makes a ton of money (I literally know how much he makes) he brags about his stocks, his savings, his house is paid off, he wants to buy another house, his Luxury car, and on and on, he wants to treat his employees for a special lunch, he takes them all to taco bell and their lunch limit is $3 and they can only drink water. I have embellished this story, the real story is actually worse. Please tell me that isn't cheap! Yes, that right there makes me a little spiteful.

Merry Christmas to you also, and just wondering if you ever noticed that your photo is looking a little Grinchey.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
he wants to treat his employees for a special lunch, he takes them all to taco bell and their lunch limit is $3 and they can only drink water. I have embellished this story, the real story is actually worse. Please tell me that isn't cheap! Yes, that right there makes me a little spiteful.

Well that is where he made a mistake. If he wasn't willing to foot the bill don't invite, but to say rich people are cheap is just like saying poor people are lazy. Both statements can be true but typically they are not.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

YEah, I knew guys at my job with like a million or 2 in savings only to retire and die a few years after retirement.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

a reply to: SlapMonkey

We could say that about a lot of stuff, like women voting, civil rights, the environment. These things do hurt us all in the end.

Voting is a right. Civil rights are...well, rights.

What you are talking about in the OP discusses the right for individuals to do with their own property as they see fit (within the confines of existing laws). Like I've already noted, you have a right to complain about it and wish over it, but I have the right to counter your OP with my own view on the subject.

I've seen it get worse in just 20 years!! This Halloween there was a story about a woman that didn't want kids that weren't from her neighborhood getting her Halloween candy.

That's her right. I live in a neighborhood known as "the place" to trick or treat, so it causes me to have to purchase much more candy than I otherwise would if I don't want to run out. I don't see any issue with her wanting to spend less and still be able to include all of the children in her neighborhood, even though I don't complain about having to do what I have to do every year...nor do I judge her for it.

There is a guy that makes a ton of money (I literally know how much he makes) he brags about his stocks, his savings, his house is paid off, he wants to buy another house, his Luxury car, and on and on, he wants to treat his employees for a special lunch, he takes them all to taco bell and their lunch limit is $3 and they can only drink water. I have embellished this story, the real story is actually worse. Please tell me that isn't cheap! Yes, that right there makes me a little spiteful.

So, instead of recognizing him for taking them to a lunch that he is not obligated to do, you complain that it just doesn't measure up to what you think he should be doing for his employees. Sure, from one angle, it can be considered cheap, but on the other, he did something that he didn't have to do, so even if it was a small gesture, it was a nice one.

This is exactly what I'm talking about--you're projecting your own expectations onto others and then calling them out because you feel that they fell short. It's nice that you, personally, would do more--and so would I--but that doesn't mean that our baseline of generosity is the law of the land, nor does it really give us a moral high ground from where we can pass judgment on others.

But again, that's just my opinion.

Merry Christmas to you also, and just wondering if you ever noticed that your photo is looking a little Grinchey.

Well, I wouldn't touch myself with a thirty-nine-and-a-half-foot pole, so maybe there's something to that.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I notice it with tipping. I have a friend who is a millionaire (inheritance). He is the CHEAPEST tipper. A pizza delivery guy will trudge up to the door in driving rain, my friend tips him $1.00. He understands that waiters, etc, get paid next to nothing as their hourly wage because they get tips, but still he can't part with a few more bucks. I don't get it.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew

The cheaper and stingier the person, the more wealth they can save. The more giving and sharing you are, the less you have for yourself.

This is heavily dependent on the environment you live in. But, generally..

The more giving and sharing you are, the more friends you have in your life, but money itself is then lacking.

The cheaper and stingier the person, the less friends he has, but the more servants he's able to command, since he has more money than most.

So, do you want "friends" or "servants"?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I think it’s either fear or greed.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I got nothing in life. No money, no friends.

I feel pretty damn cheap, yeh.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Cheap? Or right?

Who cares about money. Spread the love.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

a reply to: Nothin

Maybe I am weird, but I have figured out that wealth has nothing to do with money.

What will your legacy be when you die, that you died with a lot of stuff?

Yes. Of course.
Thank-you very much, and all that there.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I got nothing in life. No money, no friends.

I feel pretty damn cheap, yeh.

Get a dog....

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Many, many wealthy people give what they can, all year long, not just at Christmas.

The biggest philanthropist in the history of the world is at the top of the "richest Americans" list almost every year, it's Bill Gates.

However, that being said, I find that many poor people will give the shirt off their back if they know it will help someone in a worse situation than them, because they've been there, and were often helped out of that situation themselves.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
A few months back I was unemployed to the point of poverty. I was a day away from being evicted and made homeless. My uncle offered to help out by paying my rent arrears, which I thought was so kind of him... until he announced that he would charge me 20% interest!

To take advantage of a family member's desperation at a vulnerable time in their life in order to make a profit. Now THAT'S cheap!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join