It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bundy Standoff: Mistrial declared for Nevada rancher who led revolt over U.S. land dispute

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Mistrial declared for Nevada rancher who led revolt over U.S. land dispute

A federal judge on Wednesday declared a mistrial in a criminal case against four people, including Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, over a 2014 armed standoff with U.S. government agents, and rebuked prosecutors for withholding evidence from the defense.

It's not over yet though:

Navarro set a retrial date for Feb. 26, 2018, but it is uncertain if there will be a new trial. Acting U.S. Attorney Steven Myhre said prosecutors had yet to decide whether to pursue the case. Defense lawyers will argue for charges to be dismissed at a hearing set for Jan. 8.

“We have a very strong case that this will never be tried again,” Bundy’s attorney, Bret Whipple, told reporters.

It should be over. It never should have been brought to this point to begin with. But I don't have much hope that our chief lawyer will stop this persecution:

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions weighed in through a Justice Department spokesman in Washington. “The attorney general takes this issue very seriously and has personally directed that an expert in the department’s discovery obligations ... examine the case and advise as to the next steps,” said the spokesman, Ian Prior.

OregonLive gives a little more information about the evidence withheld than the Reuters article (above):

The judge listed six types of evidence that she said prosecutors deliberately withheld before trial, including information about the presence of an FBI surveillance camera on a hill overlooking the Bundy ranch and documents about U.S. Bureau of Land Management snipers outside the ranch.

The others were maps, an FBI log with entries about snipers on standby, threat assessments that indicated the Bundys weren't violent and that the Bureau of Land Management was trying to provoke a conflict by antagonizing them and nearly 500 pages of internal affairs documents involving lead bureau special agent Dan Love, since fired from the agency.

The material, the judge found, would bolster the defense stance that defendant Ryan Payne put a call out for support because the Bundys feared they were surrounded by snipers and felt isolated in early April 2014 before the standoff with federal rangers and officers on April 12, 2014.

I found this part very interesting, as it seems to me that the family of LaVoy Finicum could use this against the Feds in their wrongful death suit:

She also cited at least four threat assessments that indicated the Bundys likely wouldn't use violence, "would get in your face'' but not engage in a shootout, and that the Bureau of Land Management was antagonizing the family "trying to provoke a conflict.''

The threat evaluations were made by the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit, the Southern Nevada Counter Terrorism unit, the FBI Nevada Joint Terrorism Task Force, the Gold Buttle Cattle Impound Risk Assessment and the Bureau of Land Management law enforcement arm between 2011 and 2015.

ETA: Mistrial declared in Cliven Bundy standoff case

If the Feds ever had a legitimate case against the Bundys, they would never have stooped to these levels -- would never have felt any need to stoop to these levels.

The judge further identified 493 pages of internal affairs documents on BLM agent Love that said there were no documented injuries to endangered desert tortoises by cattle grazing on the federal land. That's the reason the federal land agency sought to curtail the senior Bundy's grazing permit in 1993 and limit the number of cattle on public land.

So it's all been a lie by the Feds. Since the beginning. But it's far from over, for the Bundys and for the Finicums and for the Hammonds and for whatever the Feds' true devious purpose is/was:

The mistrial dealt a significant setback to federal prosecutors, yet they may be able to retry the defendants. Both sides were instructed to submit legal briefs by Dec. 29 on whether the government should be allowed to pursue a new trial, with oral arguments set for Jan. 8.

The judge indicated she'd make a future ruling on whether the case should be a mistrial with prejudice, meaning no future trial would be held. A new tentative trial date, however, was set for Feb. 26.

This decision could have far reaching effects, for everyone who has been convicted and/or took a plea deal in the case, for the Hammonds and other private parties who have been legally bullied and persecuted by the Feds (and particularly the now-disgraced BLM agent Dan Love), for the LaVoy Finicum family's wrongful death suit against the Feds, and on and on and on.

It could also have very profound effects regarding the Uranium 1 investigation by Congress, not just Hillary and the Clinton Foundation's involvement, but the activities of federal agents and agencies in facilitating that deal.

Incidentally, to the best of my knowledge, Cliven Bundy is still refusing to leave jail until all charges have been dropped against all defendants. He's doubling down -- on truth, justice and the American way! And he has my respect and gratitude.

Ya live for the fight when it's all that you've got, eh???

Let's see if Trump and Sessions are half the man Cliven Bundy is and actually put an end to this federal misconduct and persecution of private citizens by their government. (I won't be holding my breath. If they were so inclined, they would have done it already.)
edit on 21-12-2017 by Boadicea because: Inserted link

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Now that the Internet firestorm is over, they had to declare a mistrial, events didn't warrant an arrest, detention or trial, only a ticket for trespassing.

The whole thing was blown up by the complicit Media into hi crimes and treason so they could diffuse the movement by rounding up and detaining its leaders (killing one too).

But now, since they had no real case to begin with, they found a way to 'mis' trial the Show Trial in the Kangaroo Court.

Win win for the gubment. There will be no trial for killing somebody in ambush on the side of the road, and the world has lost interest in the ongoing federal land grabs going on.

Oh yah, that whole Bundy thing, meh. Nothing to see there, move along.

And see what happens if you demonstrate or protest, by civil disobedience.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Ummm...at the very least this whole debacle was gross government overreach...

It's good to see this case fall apart...The Bundy's should never have been antagonized and prosecuted...Lavoy Finicum Should still be alive and not murdered by the arm of corrupt government agencies...

This was a total travesty all around...I appreciate the due diligence you've personally given this subject...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I think you're giving the Feds far too much credit... they would have taken this all the way if they'd had their way... this was the last thing they wanted to happen.

We'll see how it plays out going forward, but my gut is telling me that something big has changed, and that while this is the end for the Bundy saga, it's only the beginning for the Feds. The dam is breaking for them. Their stranglehold is breaking. While I don't give Trump direct credit, I think he may deserve indirect credit by at least giving the illusion that he wants to "drain the swamp," thus encouraging/emboldening would-be whistleblowers to sing like canaries. Like the whistleblower who blew this wide open.

The Bundys are just the most public and glaring example of federal misconduct and abuse. Given half the chance, folks will come out of the woodwork with their tales. Kind of like the sexual misconduct allegations and #MeToo movement. Once the dam breaks, there's no stopping the flood.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Should we trust Bundy? Personally, I am not a fan of the government but Bundy is a religious zealot.

Experts and witnesses tell The Revelator that the roots of the Bundy family’s uncompromising and authoritarian approach over the use of America’s public lands can be traced to their belief in the historic Mormon entitlement to the promised land of Zion and their fringe interpretation of the U.S. Constitution first posed by a far-right Mormon writer.

therevelator.org...
edit on 12/21/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...at the very least this whole debacle was gross government overreach...

It's good to see this case fall apart...The Bundy's should never have been antagonized and prosecuted...Lavoy Finicum Should still be alive and not murdered by the arm of corrupt government agencies...

So very very true. I'm very glad it fell apart also... makes me very hopeful for the future. None of this ever should have happened.

This was a total travesty all around...I appreciate the due diligence you've personally given this subject...

YouSir

Thank YOU for giving a damn and paying attention as well

We can't do much, but we can at least pay attention and use our privileges here to educate and inform, eh? Sometimes just a little support can go a long way. Especially when the media and the talking heads want to pretend it isn't happening. We can be a force for good even when others choose to use their positions as a force for evil.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I think you're giving the Feds far too much credit... they would have taken this all the way if they'd had their way... this was the last thing they wanted to happen.

Well yah, run them thru the ringer of detention and trial. The Fed doesn't care what that costs, the tax payer pays for proceedings. But like I said, Trespassing doesn't warrant arrest, detention and trial.

They knew that too, when they rounded up the Moment leadership on that icy road. It was all for show, a circus ring distraction to send a message to the rest of America.

I sat right here when numerous threads generated hundreds of pages of back and forth between the law and order 'Murica crowd... and civil rights 'Muricans' shot it out.

Now watch. This will go largely omitted by that very same main scream Media, social or otherwise.

If any attention is paid it will be steered away from ongoing Federal land grabs.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Should we trust Bundy?

Trust him how? It certainly wasn't Bundy who declared a mistrial... it certainly wasn't Bundy who withheld evidence... it certainly wasn't Bundy who discovered and reported the misconduct of government...

It's the feds we cannot trust -- and who we should be able to trust!!! But it was the feds who so abused their power and authority that they could not be trusted and thus caused a mistrial due to their knowing and willful abuses.

Personally, I am not a fan of the government but Bundy is a religious zealot.

And? So??? His faith isn't a threat to anyone. He has no power over anyone.

But the feds are a threat and the feds do have power over everyone.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Well to me he's an opportunist. Be careful on who you support. There are opportunists who posed as "freedom fighters".

edit on 12/21/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Yes, the mainstream media and talking heads -- on BOTH sides -- don't want to touch this with a ten foot pole. Such is our challenge. Do we throw up our hands and cry "Oh woe is me! Nothing I can do!!!" Or do we stand up loud and proud and point to the abuses and demand redress of our grievances???

I'm sure plenty of folks told Cliven Bundy it was a lost cause... can't fight city hall... waste of time and energy... and loads of other pathetic excuses to just bend over and take it. Cliven Bundy said "Hell no!" and has proven every one of them wrong.

I don't know have all the answers. But I damn well know that if no one does anything to right the wrongs, then the wrongs will continue. No doubt. As the old saying goes, all that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing. In other words, when good people do nothing, bad people do what they want.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Well to me he's an opportunist. Be careful on who you support. There are opportunists who posed as "freedom fighters".

Opportunist? Not a word about the gross abuses of power by government... just talking trash about their victim. Okay...

As for me? Any man who uses the persecution and abuse of government as an opportunity to fight that government abuse, and has the strength and courage and conviction to suffer years of further abuse to do so, is a hero in my book.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

"Oh woe is me! Nothing I can do!!!" Or do we stand up loud and proud and point to the abuses and demand redress of our grievances???

We did "stand up" during the events. Outshouted by the MSM, their minions here, and the federal gubment. They have all the guns, the law and the Mass Media on their side.

Now that the 'protest' is ended, they don't care, we the people have been sidelined once again. If anyone tries to raise that flag again, everyone will be like meh, been there, borrring.

Thats how this works, our attention spans have been molded for us, to be all up in sensibilities one day, and disinterested the next.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Witheld evidence!

It should be dismissed with prejudice.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

We did "stand up" during the events. Outshouted by the MSM, their minions here, and the federal gubment. They have all the guns, the law and the Mass Media on their side.

And what good did it do them? Naught! In the end, the truth still came out because of people who refused to give up or give in, the head agent in charge of the operation is gone thanks to lots of whistleblowers and an Inspector General investigator, and the trial has once again been declared a mistrial... and charges may very well be dropped altogether.

And why? Because good people took a stand and took the hit for what is right.

Now that the 'protest' is ended, they don't care, we the people have been sidelined once again. If anyone tries to raise that flag again, everyone will be like meh, been there, borrring.

I don't believe that.

They shut up about it because they didn't want people to know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Lies by omission. The lack of coverage is a huge red flag that there is far more interest and concern about this case than not -- AND that too many people do know too much already to keep bull#ting them. That's a win for us.

They especially don't want people to know the government lost and protesters won because it will have the exact opposite effect: The people will be emboldened and empowered and will be even more likely to fight back!

And with this one case, having brought the credibility of the federal agents and agencies into major doubt, every other case dependent upon the integrity and credibility of Dan Love will also be subject to review and reasonable doubt.

This is far more significant than the PTB want any of us to realize...

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Witheld evidence!

It should be dismissed with prejudice.

It certainly should! And I'm actually optimistic that it will be formally dismissed on January 8th. Even the prosecutors are saying they may not pursue the case. I suspect that there's far more bad behavior that they don't want to come out.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Imagine that, the Obama DOJ being dishonest?........what a lie.

Obviously the Russians got through to this Judge.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Imagine that, the Obama DOJ being dishonest?........what a lie.

Obviously the Russians got through to this Judge.

LOL!

But shhhh! Don't give them any excuses!!!

(And I'm going laugh like hell if someone does use "the Russians" as an excuse!!!)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

And what good did it do them? Naught! In the end, the truth still came out because of people who refused to give up or give in, the head agent in charge of the operation is gone thanks to lots of whistleblowers and an Inspector General investigator, and the trial has once again been declared a mistrial... and charges may very well be dropped altogether.

And why?

Despite one dead man , a movement slandered and destroyed and the ongoing federal land grab, nothing has changed.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I watched and listened to this standoff every single day as constant as I could while it unfolded, including the car chase as reported.

These agents need to be tried for murder, I wish Trump would get involved with this and start punishing these 3 letter agency renegades when they come off their chains.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join