It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tommy Wiseau's: The Room (review no spoilers)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The Room (2003) Tommy Wiseau.

I admit I LOVE b-grade films. This has gotta be one of the unintentionally funniest films since Megalodon.

The Room is a vanity piece that was written, directed, and produced by Tommy Wiseau - who also plays the part of main actor Johnny. Johnny is a long greasy-haired, old man wrestler-bodied, forty-something, high flying banker who is engaged to a young blonde. The true backstory to the production of the film has been revisited in the The Disaster Artist (2017) with James Franco playing Tommy.

This film must be watched for the long, awkward sex scenes between Johnny and his girlfriend. Dubbed over the top of the love-scenes is a sound track of 90s pop and added-in recordings of Johnny giggling, his weird heavy breathing and "ooooh" "mmmmms". These scenes are extremely corny including pillar candles, red roses, what is meant to look like rain on a window but appears to be a hose spraying water onto a pane of glass. Oh and there's plenty of nip action and unfortunately old man bum.

Johnny has so much fake laughter after every one of his lines. Literally, every line. His voice also raises several octaves in the space of one sentence. The sound dubbing goes out in the majority of the film and there is one scene that is completely out of focus. No one can act at all and often fumble over each others lines (see the florist scene).

If you are going to see The Disaster Artist definitely see The Room first. As bad movies go I give this 5 out of 5 for hilarity and poor acting.

Have you seen The Room? What was your take?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
"You are tearing me apart Lisa!"

Makes me pee a little bit, every time.

One of my favorite bad movies, ever.

edit on 21-12-2017 by Jefferton because: spellzing

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I am a firm believer that the movie was a money laundering scheme, you don't spend 6 millions building sets where the stairs comes from outside of the building like this:

Or buy 2 sets of cameras (digital and 35mm) to do such a poor job, when you could easily use a real rooftop or rent the cameras.

Paranormal activity budget was 15k and made close to 200m, this one costed 6m and made 1k back...

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Interesting....I dont know much about Wiseau maybe he was a dodgy dude

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

I'm hoping the disaster artist can shed some new light on Tommy. So strange..
My favorite scene is when they find Denny getting man handled by that drug dealer.
Then it's over and never brought up again.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The link is to a Wired interview with Tommy Wiseau. Odd Dude.
Wired Link

I have not see this movie but the reviews are awful.

Also how in the hell can you have a budget of $6 million and only make $1,800.00 thousand.

~Morpheus

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If you haven't experienced the Riff Trax of The Room, you haven't lived.

HILARIOUS.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The thing that made The Room fun was that Tommy is a super-weirdo, and he's clueless.
He's always said in interviews that he's "an American film maker", yet he hasn't the slightest
grasp on any aspect of film making. Not only does he not understand any cinematic techniques, he almost always gets it wrong.

The fact that he's cashing in big-time now adds to the hilarity.

The "You're tearing me apart, Lisa" face-melting scene.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
That movie stinks like expensive cheese.
I kind of liked it.
It did make make me giggle a few times.
Unintentional humor is the best.
It is a stretch to call this a B-movie.
I'd give it an F.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

The blonde in that scene is the biggest overactor "WHHHAATT DRRRUUUGGSS??"

I love the florist scene when Johnny seems to struggle parking his car and just leaves it to overhang into the intersecting street.

"Hi dawggy!"

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   
if you love the room watch samurai cop 1 & 2. 1 is a cult classic for being one of the best worst movies ever. In the sequal tommy wiseau is the main villain.

top topics

join