It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Janet Airlines (Groom Lake commuter planes)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Well TD Barnes said tonight that Janet was the name of the CIA base Commander. So Janet doesn't stand for anything. Just like the Peg in Constant Peg stood for a commander's wife.

Before it leaves my brain, GHOST (base helicopters) supposedly stands for Guys Hanging Out Supporting Test. But that was from a caller to Coast to Coast, not from TD Barnes.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

I enjoyed the interview. George Knapp did a good job. If other get the chance to catch the program I doubt they will be disappointed if interested in some truth and not B.S. about Area 51..

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Here is a video about Janet. "Just Another Non Existent Terminal."

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The area 51 hanger names were bandied about on bulletin boards back in the 1980's.
Bob the sys admin I used to work with has probably passed on by now, but might have been a good resource for information.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I tend to agree, given that I've flown on a JANET 3 times when visiting TTR for flight operations on past projects. Never spoke with anyone regarding them, as I was with my direct supervisor at the time. However, I do have a current friend who works at Area 51, though we don't call it Area 51. Most that work there call it the box or paradise ranch still. He said some of his coworkers do joke about Janets and do mention "Just another non existent terminal" only because that acronym is out in the public and they thought it was funny and just go with it. I have a lot more information about Janets, just my personal experience, but I'm not at liberty to speak publicly about it. Nothing to interesting sadly. I worked on the X47B aircraft as an Aerospace Engineer years ago which was why I was at TTR and flew out on Janets. Sadly I never had the opportunity to visit Groomlake, but I currently work with many who have and continue to.
edit on 18-12-2017 by EngineerGuY because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: EngineerGuY

Has any of them mentioned aliens?

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

As for my coworkers.... no. We simply don't have the time to discuss things like that. I'm currently working for an Aerospace company, our projects are all Military in nature. Things are pretty strict but we do have down time. If we do discuss other topics aside from our current projects, it's mostly sports. As for my friend that currently lives in Vegas and works at Area 51, yes, we have talked about them, in a joking manner. He's a software engineer at Area 51. I know of a few past projects that he has worked on, all drones. I don't have high enough security clearance to know what he is currently working on, nor would he tell me. We are very close friends but I know better than to pry. What he HAS revealed, was on hearsay from someone else he knows at the base, that said some of the projects on the base are 150 years ahead in technology or more. That is all I have heard in relation to anything that could possibly be extraterrestrial. Could there be? I'm open to the idea, but from everything I have worked on or saw with my own eyes.... 100% us.
edit on 18-12-2017 by EngineerGuY because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I've never bought the X number of years story. All these secret projects are sourced from commercial vendors. What you really have is technology without a budget.

In the dark ages, I worked for a company making imaging chips. We did a "government" specified project that ended up requiring several wafer runs just to supply a few sensors. In today's dollars, probably $300k a sensor. It was for a satellite, so they weren't making many of whatever it was. My point being we used entirely conventional technology but at a quality no commercial customer would pay. Our competition was Texas Instruments, a very commercial bog standard company.

In fact, if it wasn't for the commercial products to keep the manufacturing line going, none of these semiconductor vendors could produce chips for the military, even at ridiculous DoD prices. I worked for another company that produced radiation hardened chips. (Rad hard doesn't mean you nuke the chips, but rather they can handle some radiation.) They were made on the commercial production line with slight tweaks to the process and used what at the time was a more expensive type of wafer.

Mind you the vendors never know the full story of how all the parts are put together to make the final product, whatever it is.

Back in the day, the NSA had their own wafer fab. But it wasn't to produce parts a century ahead of the everyone else. Rather they wanted a higher level of secrecy and didn't trust commercial vendors. Eventually they gave it up since they couldn't keep up with the commercial technology.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I agree with you, simply because of my experience in the Military Aerospace industry. I've heard other stories from other engineers also, but again, it's all hearsay! I've not met one person who said... "Oh yes, I've seen aliens, or saw a UFO, or anything ultra high tech". As with most of my projects, I design (my team) a small section of the aircraft. Unlike some other contractors, I know the exact aircraft it's for, and am on hand for flight testing (usually Edwards but occasionally TTR). I love my job but there are expectations and also assumptions. I get asked at least a few times a month from friends or friends of friends that find out what I do, if I've seen aliens or UFO's. I'm used to it but people need to understand I have a real job designing REAL aircraft. I'd love to see some type of technology like that, but if that exists, I highly doubt I'd be the person to see it. What I can say is we are MANY years ahead in technology, terrestrial technology, our technology. We have some fun aircraft being developed right now. Hell... I only know about the stuff I'm involved in, I shutter to think of the projects that are within the black budget being development. Gariac, I'll be in Vegas sometime in the early part of 2018, if you're around might try and take a drive out your way, maybe we can meet up and swap some stories!

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Part of the notion of "advanced technology" is the military asks for things most civilian application don't care about. For instance all those schemes simply not to use flaps on a plane. Civilians don't give a crap about static RCS let alone dynamic RCS, so control surfaces are not an issue unless you can make the product cheaper.

Electronic components can be bought in commercial, industrial (extended) and military temperature range. The chips are identical for all grades. The military part may have a different package, but the tech is really all the same.

If you want to see highly refined advanced technology, look at a soda/beer can. It is as thin as possible. Corners are rounded to avoid stress. The can has had decades of study to make it as cheap as possible to achieve its design goal.

Space aliens will marvel at our soda can technology!

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Just kidding

I noticed you mentioned Rad-hardened sensors,
did the government ever have you build EMP (electromagnetic pulse) hardened ones or was that what you were referring to?

edit on 12/18/2017 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Janet was the wife of the Area 51 base commander circa 1969-1971. He decided to use her name as the call sign for the commuter flights. The biggest surprise is that it is still used after all this time.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Just kidding

I noticed you mentioned Rad-hardened sensors,
did the government ever have you build EMP (electromagnetic pulse) hardened ones or was that what you were referring to?

The rad hard chips were at a different company from the custom sensors in this case they were rad hard high-speed ADCs. The radiation is ionizing, not EMP.

Basically radiation generates substrate carriers, so you do something to make the wafer less susceptible to such carriers. I will spare the buzzwords, but the short answer is the tricks we did back then are now common in wafer fabrication. This came about as geometries got finer.

Regarding EMP, that usually is due to long wires acting as antennas, subsequently frying the circuitry. That would be something you design for in the hardware. To a small degree, this is already done. Most pins that lead to the outside world have electrostatic discharge protection.

EMP is more of a physics discipline than electrical engineering. Just about any electrical engineer could tell you things like Faraday cages to make a system less prone to EMP attack, that is qualitative analysis. But I think it would be a rare find to find an engineer that understands EMP on a quantitative scale.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shadowhawk

Janet was the wife of the Area 51 base commander circa 1969-1971. He decided to use her name as the call sign for the commuter flights. The biggest surprise is that it is still used after all this time.

If the name is no longer a secret, it would be nice to know Janet's last name.

It would also be fun to know just who came up with the callsign of the month gimmick.* As if that actually provides any security.

* Janet callsign is used in civilian airspace. The planes use a callsign of the month when under Groom control. Planes landing at the TTR remain under the Janet callsign. I recall for the month of May one year, the secret callsign was Mother.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Popular Mechancis living up to their reputation

Well let's see if we can answer these questions.

At the Las Vegas international airport, there's an terminal where planes take off and land all day. The parking lot for this terminal fills up with hundreds of cars, which leave by the end of the day. But no one knows who runs the Gold Coast Terminal, or who boards those planes.

AECOM runs the terminal. Workers at Groom Lake and the Tonopah Test Range board the planes. This can include contractors.

We do know what the airline is called--JANET--though we don't know what it stands for. It's suggested that the acronym means Joint Air Network for Employee Transportation, but it's often referred to by secret aviation fans as Just Another Non-Existent Terminal.

Janet was the name of the first Groom Lake commander's wife.

Well at least there is nothing about the base being moved to Utah.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
janet job offer from AECOM

Flight Attendant, Las Vegas, Nevada
Business Line Government
Position Title Flight Attendant
United States of America - Nevada
Las Vegas

Job Summary
Performs Flight Attendant duties aboard Company operated aircraft. Reports to Operations one (1) hour before scheduled flight or as otherwise assigned by supervisor.

Post/Pre-flights aircraft as assigned.

Briefs passengers on aircraft emergency equipment and procedures and ensures passenger compliance with all safety regulations.

Manifests flights as necessary and ensures security practices and procedures are followed.

Must be willing and able to provide leadership, direction, and assistance during an emergency, including aircraft evacuation.

Attends all company meetings and training classes as required by supervisor.

Must be level-headed and clear thinking while handling unusual incidents and situations (severe weather conditions, including turbulence, delays due to weather or mechanicals, hijackings or bomb threats).

Must be willing and able to assist and administer first aid to ill or incapacitated passengers or crew members.

Perform light cleaning of aircraft interiors.

Performs other Flight Attendant duties on board aircraft as necessary, to include but not limited to passenger comfort items, passenger health, safety and related matters.

May perform additional duties as directed within the terminal area, or at other company office locations.

Minimum Requirements
High School graduate or equivalent. Must pass Company operated jet aircraft Emergency Training and Initial Flight Attendant Training and maintain currency as a Flight Attendant. Must be able to effectively perform all assigned physical duties without difficulty and without assistance. Must be able to push and pull heavy hinged aircraft doors weighing up to 80 lbs. Must comply with Company specified dress code and uniform guidelines. Must possess effective oral communication skills, including good public speaking abilities. Possess basic math knowledge and basic computer skills. Must qualify for and maintain a top secret government security clearance and associated work location access. Possess a current State issued driver’s license.

Preferred Qualifications
Local Candidates
Preferred Prior Flight Attendant Experience
Preferred Some College
Preferred Associates Degree Highly Desired
Active Top Secret Clearance Highly Desired

What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

At AECOM, employee's safety and security are our top Safeguarding core value. All employees are expected to set the highest level of safety expectation in their work, display the highest level of safe behavior, and actively participate in AECOM's Safety For Life Program. SH&E is a part of our company culture and participation is required for all employees.

NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES: Please note that AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM.

Job Category Administrative Support / Secretarial
Country United States of America
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 173982BR

edit on 4-1-2018 by gariac because: added job text for archive purposes

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
aecom.jobs...

Looks like there's also a job opening manning the guard shack at the Janet Terminal.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

They have 15 openings. I think some are at Groom Lake.

Must be able to work in a remote location with limited medical personnel and facilities.

I think the tower job is at Groom.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac

Must be able to work in a remote location with limited medical personnel and facilities.

Looks like they have delisted the "Flight Attendant" job, more than likely because their website was getting pounded.
I notice in my Google Alerts a number of media outlets are running features on the "Area 51 Flight Attendant Job"

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: FosterVS

originally posted by: gariac

Looks like they have delisted the "Flight Attendant" job, more than likely because their website was getting pounded.
I notice in my Google Alerts a number of media outlets are running features on the "Area 51 Flight Attendant Job"

I've been deleting those hits after I read maybe three. The articles have a little variety, so I suspect there are a number of writers. But the echo factory is ridiculous. I did send the aviationist the correction about what Janet means.

BTW my post about the job wasn't the first mention. I found that job mentioned on a blog when doing a search. One hit! About three days after I posted the job on ATS all the press started writing about the job. One mentioned the last opening was seven years ago. That I couldn't verify.

<<   2 >>

join