It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Botulism or what?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel
We have no snakes in New Zealand. The toxin from botulism is what kills you not the. Bacterium. It is however way too fast for botulism despite the symptoms matching.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden
a reply to: intrptr

I would be more worried about earthquakes than volcanoes

I live smack dab in earthquake country. Doesn't bother me a bit. New Zealand is a super volcano.

ETA: The more I think about it the more it 'sounds like' what you suggested. These people somehow got ahold of a poisoned hog carcass. It may have been innocent enough, they could have found it or been given it by someone else, not knowing what killed it. What the hell, in some corners of the globe fresh meat is fresh meat, right?
edit on 20-12-2017 by intrptr because: ETA:

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
So it turns out that the tests say neither botulism or 1080 poisoning.

Hope this link works.
www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

My guess is they found it,or were given it. I think maybe someone poisened them on purpose,but I don't know of any poison that works that fast and reacts to botulism antidote.....also a poison that causes effects like they had? Nobody will know until they test the meat,the toxin will still be testable even if it was cooked I'd imagine. And yes NZ is one big super volcano.....as we say here..."bugger!"

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
So it turns out that the tests say neither botulism or 1080 poisoning.

Hope this link works.
www.nzherald.co.nz...

"Theysay"?

Wheres the spectrograph readout, again?

Medical Officer of Health Dr Richard Vipond said: "Investigations are ongoing, however there has been no evidence of any public health threat

Oh, "Official sources declare no health threat, no hog meat, no "1080", (a poison used to control hogs). But again don't show the 'test results' themselves.

Except the sudden onset of symptoms can't be explained by bacteria, which need time to propagate and spread thru a host before symptoms develop. This kind of rapid toxic shock in this case is better explained by a direct acting poison.

Of course if that were true, they wouldn't want to admit it officially, because thats opening a whole other can of worms leading to lawsuits and huge settlements. The gubment would just like this unfortunate incident to go away already (along with the hogs).

in general, poison bait for animal control is not an effective means anyway, especially on Hogs. Experience with eradication in the states has shown the animals are highly intelligent, learn quickly, and stop eating the bait.

Oh and did I also thank the Spaniards?
edit on 22-12-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I live in New ZEaland neighbour ... We have a potential one in Taupo but that is not the whole nation.

So tests came back and it was NOT botulism

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I live in New ZEaland neighbour ... We have a potential one in Taupo but that is not the whole nation.

So tests came back and it was NOT botulism

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for that update. My spidey sense is tingling even more now.

My money was on something else from the beginning. Bacteria isn't that fast acting, poison is.

Edit: So now what, Soldier?
edit on 25-12-2017 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
So it came to light that the father did not hunt but was given wild game by friends or perhaps " friends " ..... Given the family are Indian I wonder if it was a bit more sinister.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Actually the 1080 is more for rabbits rats and possums than wild pigs. But any invasive mammal not well controlled is a target for 1080 . There are On my way! Cyanide based poisons used too ... Though that's fairly easy to detect.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Yep I figured that as mentioned in my above post,I'd say most likely strychnine or something similar.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

I ink the Radio NZ article said they were gifted wild meats by friends of the father ... I worry given they are immegrants that some of our very few alt right types got silly. Right wing resistance are active up north ( and Christchurch)

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

As a chemist you'd think strychnine was tested for. It's an obvious poison. So are the cyanide base bates.... But hey it's the health board and dollars need to be saved. The fact the botulism anti toxin seemed to have an effect is odd.... Or coincidence.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

We sometimes eat wild pig off my dad's farm, I'm thinking it's not botulism. Still wondering why it takes do long foe the test results .

I wonder why it acted so fast.

In foodborne botulism, symptoms generally begin 18-36 hours after eating a contaminated food, but they can occur as early as six hours or as late as 10 days afterward.

Could have been something they ate earlier.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: ignorant_ape

or an improperly stored homemade condiment. Plenty of fall ill because they store things like garlic improperly.

Especially chopped garlic in oil.

Keep it in the fridge.

And if it talks to ya, throw it out.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
So as with everything its difficult to figure out without more information

Typically food poisoning is the place you ate BEFORE not the last Place

Its way to easy to jump to conclusions

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

So it came to light that the father did not hunt but was given wild game by friends or perhaps " friends " ..... Given the family are Indian I wonder if it was a bit more sinister.

I see. Given they were "indians" they were probably hungrier, too?

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Actually the 1080 is more for rabbits rats and possums than wild pigs. But any invasive mammal not well controlled is a target for 1080 . There are On my way! Cyanide based poisons used too ... Though that's fairly easy to detect.

Bait is bait, hogs are omnivores. Problems arise here in the states too with baiting programs. They try to fabricate bait stations that only feed hogs but they are expensive and the hogs are smart, avoiding them as soon as they figure it out.

The most successful programs involve pen traps. There are videos of people dong crazy things like shooting them from helicopters and blowing them up with explosives. This is how serious the hog problems is here. Not for the squeamish:

video search

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I am referring as To why it's dropped. So not bait is not bait. For one pigs are NOT controlled in this manner. Nor deer.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Wtf? I am referring to the racist tendencies of the far right. Not the ethnicity of the victims. Sod off.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Wtf? I am referring to the racist tendencies of the far right. Not the ethnicity of the victims. Sod off.

Sorry you misunderstood. You proposed they were given some dead hog to eat, I was wondering why they would eat some dead hog somebody gave them?

You said they were Indians, I thought that meant they must have been poorer folk?

Sorry if I misunderstood.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join