It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS to Release Inert Chemical and Biological Simulant Materials at Newkirk, Oklahoma.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Not even entirely certain of where to post this. Not to mention, i couldn't write in the subject line the exact area where the chemical/biological experiment will be carried out.

This is a heads up for people who live in the area where this is going to occur. Unfortunately there is no more time to make comments about this "biological and chemical testing" on American people who live at, or close to the Chilocco (former) Indian School Campus outside of Newkirk, Oklahoma. However, simulants will be used in the testing, although the DHS website doesn't state what simulants they will be using. The experiment will be carried out in the summer and winter of 2018.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) announces the availability of a draft Environmental Assessment (EA) for performing a collaborative scientific study with OSU-University Multispectral Laboratories, L.L.C. (UML) that will include low level outdoor release of inert chemical and biological simulant materials at the Chilocco (former) Indian School Campus outside of Newkirk, Oklahoma, during winter 2018 and again in summer 2018. The study is part of the Department’s ongoing commitment to preparedness and the shared responsibility of protecting the nation’s critical infrastructure. The purpose of this study is to gather data that enhances our predictive capabilities in the event of a biological agent attack. Specifically, this work will help in predicting the extent to which an intentional release of a biological agent may penetrate single family and multi-family structures. These tests will release inert chemicals and biological materials that will be used to measure the amount of material that penetrates the buildings under varied conditions.

www.dhs.gov...

edit on 17-12-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

However, simulants will be used in the testing, although the DHS website doesn't state what simulants they will be using.

This project would further advance preparedness by providing improved estimates of the boundaries and levels of contamination in homes and buildings following an outdoor aerosol release of a biological agent under varied conditions. UML will release materials upwind of select buildings and experimentally determine the amount of material that penetrates the buildings. The data collected would facilitate modeling efforts that suppo rt response and recovery decisions and actions by local, state, tribal, and federal emergency managers.

Alternative Inert Particle 1 would utilize titanium dioxide (TiO 2 ), a white odorless powder that is chemically insoluble in water, nonreactive, nonflammable, and nonhazardous. This material is not regulated or defined as a toxic or hazardous material. Alternative Inert Particle 2 is a 90:10% mixture of urea powder with CL Fluorescent Brightener 220. Urea serves an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen -containing compounds by animals and is the main nitrogen -containing substance in the urine of mammals. CL Fluorescent Brightener 220 is a finishing reagent in textiles, and up to 2% b y weight in laundry detergents.

Alternative Biological Particulate 1 would employ the use of Bacillus thuringiensis subsp kurstaki (Btk) barcoded spores, which are the preferred biological material to be employed for sensitive characterization of building penetration. Native Btk , sold under the commercial name of Dipel, is used extensively as a bioinsecticide and is not considered a hazard by the U .S. Environmental Protection Agency ( EPA ) when handled appropriately .

Alternative Biological Particulate 2 would utilize native Btk, without barcoding. Native Btk is an approved biopesticide under the commercial name of Dipel. This alternative would require much more time and labor to execute. Alternative Biological Particulate 3 would employ a tagged, inert, fluorescent particle known as DNATrax. The safety of DNATrax particles cannot be assumed, therefore, its use presented unknown risks not conducive to testing objectives.

The release activities would take place at the abandoned Chilocco campus in rural Oklahoma (Figure 1) during January/ February 2018 and then again during June/July, 2018 . This site is closed to the general public under an exclusive use agreement between the site ’s tribal owners, the Council o f Confederated Chilocco Tribes (CCCT) and the OSU -University Multispectral Laboratories L .L.C. (UML). UML is a nonprofit 501c3 research laboratory , owned by Oklahoma State University, which supports various federal agencies for sensor testing and training.

www.dhs.gov...

FAQ
edit on 12/17/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Found a website that states what simulants will be used.

They will be supposedly using: " Alternative Inert Particle 1 would utilize titanium dioxide (TiO2). Alternative Inert Particle 2 is a 90:10% mixture of urea powder with CL Fluorescent Brightener 220. Alternative Biological Particulate 1 would employ the use of Bacillus thuringiensis subsp kurstaki (Btk) (aka Dipel which is a bioinsecticide). Alternative Biological Particulate 2 would utilize native Btk, without barcoding. Native Btk is an approved biopesticide under the commercial name of Dipel. Alternative Biological Particulate 3 would employ a tagged, inert, fluorescent particle known as DNATrax. The safety of DNATrax particles cannot be assumed, therefore, its use presented unknown risks not conducive to testing objectives. " Supposedly these materials will be released at "five abandoned residential and apartment buildings within the Chilocco campus"

www.dhs.gov...

edit on 17-12-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct excerpt.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

However, simulants will be used in the testing, although the DHS website doesn't state what simulants they will be using.

This project would further advance preparedness by providing improved estimates of the boundaries and levels of contamination in homes and buildings following an outdoor aerosol release of a biological agent under varied conditions. UML will release materials upwind of select buildings and experimentally determine the amount of material that penetrates the buildings. The data collected would facilitate modeling efforts that suppo rt response and recovery decisions and actions by local, state, tribal, and federal emergency managers.

Alternative Inert Particle 1 would utilize titanium dioxide (TiO 2 ), a white odorless powder that is chemically insoluble in water, nonreactive, nonflammable, and nonhazardous. This material is not regulated or defined as a toxic or hazardous material. Alternative Inert Particle 2 is a 90:10% mixture of urea powder with CL Fluorescent Brightener 220. Urea serves an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen -containing compounds by animals and is the main nitrogen -containing substance in the urine of mammals. CL Fluorescent Brightener 220 is a finishing reagent in textiles, and up to 2% b y weight in laundry detergents.

Alternative Biological Particulate 1 would employ the use of Bacillus thuringiensis subsp kurstaki (Btk) barcoded spores, which are the preferred biological material to be employed for sensitive characterization of building penetration. Native Btk , sold under the commercial name of Dipel, is used extensively as a bioinsecticide and is not considered a hazard by the U .S. Environmental Protection Agency ( EPA ) when handled appropriately .

Alternative Biological Particulate 2 would utilize native Btk, without barcoding. Native Btk is an approved biopesticide under the commercial name of Dipel. This alternative would require much more time and labor to execute. Alternative Biological Particulate 3 would employ a tagged, inert, fluorescent particle known as DNATrax. The safety of DNATrax particles cannot be assumed, therefore, its use presented unknown risks not conducive to testing objectives.

The release activities would take place at the abandoned Chilocco campus in rural Oklahoma (Figure 1) during January/ February 2018 and then again during June/July, 2018 . This site is closed to the general public under an exclusive use agreement between the site ’s tribal owners, the Council o f Confederated Chilocco Tribes (CCCT) and the OSU -University Multispectral Laboratories L .L.C. (UML). UML is a nonprofit 501c3 research laboratory , owned by Oklahoma State University, which supports various federal agencies for sensor testing and training.

www.dhs.gov...

FAQ

edi t on 12 17 17 by Tophat21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Tophat21

Someone who knows how to follow the links provided on the site linked by the OP?

Oh, look. The OP finally figured out how to do the same thing.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Someone who knows how to follow the links provided on the site linked by the OP?
I deleted my comment. Why cause ATS omitted the proper response in the quotes.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Get over yourself, as you were only excerpting the attachments i was looking throughout the net, read and excerpted the simulants they say they will be using.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Nested quotes are problematic.

But to those viewing my response, your comment was to the effect that I must surely be an agent or shill.
Because I know how to click links.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

The links are on the site linked in your OP. Not too hard to find.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Nested quotes are problematic.

But to those viewing my response, your comment was to the effect that I must surely be an agent or shill.
Because I know how to click links.
I did not say that, but it crossed my mind.
Are you a clairvoyant?

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I did not say that,

Yes, you did.
Thus my reply to it.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I wonder if they did an Environmental Impact Statement or at least an Environmental Assessment. If not a court order could stop it.

link   

I did not say that,

Yes, you did.
Thus my reply to it.
LIAR! You twist words.

link   
a reply to: whywhynot

There are links on the website linked by the OP.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

No.
But its too bad you deleted your comment and too bad I didn't quote it.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

Oh, look. The OP finally figured out how to do the same thing.
a reply to: Phage

I liked the old phage much better. Something bad going on in your life?

Yeah, well. The thread isn't about me. You're the second person to try to make it so.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh and btw Phage, as an example, you do forget that even thou in the U.S. titanium oxide is considered safe, in Canada and in the EU it is considered as a possible carcinogen for humans. It has been banned in the EU.

Titanium dioxide has recently been classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as an IARC Group 2B carcinogen ''possibly carcinogen to humans''.

www.ccohs.ca...

The French authorities have submitted an intention to propose a harmonised classification for titanium dioxide as a category IB carcinogen. The intention says the proposal was submitted recently, but details have yet to be published.

Classification as a category 1A or B carcinogen has significant implications under REACH as:

it is a criterion for nominating substances of very high concern (SVHC) under Article 57a; and
substances with such a classification should be restricted in consumer applications – of which titanium dioxide has many, including some using the substance in its nanoform.

France proposes carcinogen 1B classification for titanium dioxide

Not to mention Phagie that the site is about 3-4 miles from Arkansas city.

duckduckgo.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

So, we'll see what happens when the final documents are released. Maybe they'll use the 2nd alternative instead of the 1st.

In any case, it's not likely much of either will get very far beyond the test site.

6. Each release will be performed under fair weather conditions such as clear skies with no precipitation forecasted.

7. Wind dire ction will be from the south traveling north between the speeds of 2 to 12 mph.

8. The total particulate matter disseminated will be limited to 600 grams or less over a 10- minute period per release event .

9. Release s will only take place when there are no people conducting agricultura l activities in the fields north of campus.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join