It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor Heinz Wolff has Died aged 89 , Thank you Sir

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
For a young gortex Professor Heinz Wolff was every bit the mad scientist , he had the voice , the look and above all the knowledge to pass on his enthusiasm for science to the younger generation like myself , something he continued to do for much of his life.

I credit Heinz Wolff along with Dr. Magnus Pyke for fostering my interest in science , they were the teachers who helped young minds expand and no doubt inspired many to pursue a career in the sciences.

The life of Heinz Wolff as told by Professor Heinz Wolff.

Thank you Professor Wolff , Rest in Peace Sir , you were born to teach.

Edit to add.

A former advisor to the European Space Agency, he became emeritus professor at London's Brunel University, working on projects linked to ageing populations.
Brunel colleagues described him as an "inventive and inspirational leader". Close friend Professor Ian Sutherland added: "There was nothing he loved more than having a team of people around him, devising completely new ways of doing things."

Friends and colleagues also recalled his love of practical jokes, particularly one instance when he arrived at his 80th birthday party on a scooter propelled by fire extinguishers.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Mad scientist.

edit on 16-12-2017 by gortex because: To Add

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Very sad. Another part of my childhood laid to rest. Getting older has some downsides and this is one of the big ones. R.I.P. Professor.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I clicked on the thread because the title made it sound like OP was thanking a person for dying I really need to get some sleep...
edit on Dec 17th 2017 by Djarums because: fixed formatting

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
How sad to see another of my childhood icons pass on. R.I.P.

I well remember the Professor from The Great Egg Race - UK TV back in the early 80s. I've always been a MacGyver type of person, constantly trying to invent and think laterally to solve problems. Prof. Heinz Wolff really helped me develop the craft even further. Most of all he was a gentle soul and quite comical and entertaining. Finally, his way of explaining things in such a concise and captivating way made him a difficult act to follow for other wannabes. There are few others like him, and who is left is a dying breed.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
I clicked on the thread because the title made it sound like OP was thanking a person for dying. I really need to get some sleep...

I don´t ned no sleep right now but thought the same xD

My next thought was:

Don´t cry, Sheldon, you will see Professor Proton in you dreams and he will give you advices...

edit on Dec 17th 2017 by Djarums because: fixed formatting

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I have a VCR tape recording including an advert with Prof. Wolff explaining UNIX in terms of flavours of ice cream,added nuts, and sauce. Unsurprisingly I've long forgotten the programs I recorded. 😊. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Did he do a show about egg and spoons and science? a very early memory.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
What a lovely and delightful man. One of the good ones.

Thanks for sharing this... RIP Professor.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It is sad, he was through the TV a part of my life as a child, an enigmatic and kindly seeming eccentric mad scientist that you could automatically and immediately like.
I hope he has found there is more to our existence and moved on to greater thing's.

top topics

join