It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says he'll militarize local police, takes jab at Obama administration

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I just don't see how giving the police access to military hardware is a good thing , police are supposed to police by consent not military force , that is the hallmark of a dictatorship.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: links234

Guess who voted for and approved the militarization of our police????

The Congressional Black Caucus!!!

Did you see the idiot from Chicago begging for UN Military to come to Chicago to protect them??? lol But it's all TRUMP! Right?

Why do you always talk rubbish, the police have been 'militarized' since at least the 1930's to combat criminals, and criminal cabals who have always proliferated in the US. Mass rioting in the 1960's increased the high powered weoponry on a state basis, pretty much as it is now, it's the states who arm their police. In 1981 The Military Cooperation with Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies Act allowed police access to military equipment, and since 9/11 it has snowballed,forby the amount of homeland security equipment.
These days, it is a matter of great concern that just about every protest group is considered subversive.
Only an idiot wouldn't see things are seriously out of hand.
Now Trump wants to play politics, (and again knock Obama) with policing..Meh! not too hard to by the looks of it, when there are people like you about.

BTW,Trump made some disparaging remarks about the FBI before that ceremony, then licked arses when he was there, the two -faced bastard. Yuk!

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

80 percent of officers out of shape isn't rare...

Why are officers triggers so heavy?

How often are they required to do marksmanship training?

How many innocent people do they shoot in say nyc aiming for the bad guy?

Sorry man. Cops need better support not more equip. 37k to do that job in Atlanta is just criminal.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

So if it were civilian looking equipment with the exact same capabilities and function, that would be OK?

How would you, if it were your call, get a team of officers close to a house with people inside shooting anyone approaching? Something armored that many departments can't afford, but could use if given to them?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Personally I find it more interesting that up until the moment Trump was elected one of the main conspiracy theories was that things such as this would be used to impose a new world order and further the globalist agenda. Yet these days it's just practicality and nothing else.

Ats - 2011
NPR

U.S. law enforcement at all levels has undergone a dangerous militarization in recent years, with heavily armed SWAT teams being deployed to serve warrants and for drug searches, but rarely for the hostage situations they were designed for, the American Civil Liberties Union says in a new report.

In "War Comes Home: The Excessive Militarization of American Policing," the ACLU says its investigation corroborates the unnecessary use of a proliferation of Special Weapons and Tactics teams made possible by federal programs that incentivize aggressive weapons and battlefield tactics at the local level.

The study looked at 800 SWAT deployments among 20 local, state and federal police agencies in 2011-2012. "Using these federal funds, state and local law enforcement agencies have amassed military arsenals purportedly to wage the failed War on Drugs, the battlegrounds of which have disproportionately been in communities of color. But these arsenals are by no means free of cost for communities," says Kara Dansky, senior counsel with the ACLU's Center for Justice.

Among the ACLU's findings: — 62 percent of SWAT raids were for the purpose of conducting drug searches. —

Just 7 percent of SWAT raids were "for hostages, barricade, or active shooter scenarios." —

SWAT raids are directed disproportionately against people of color

30 percent of the time the "race of individual people impacted" was black, 11 percent of the time Latino, 20 percent white and 30 percent unknown.

Armored personnel vehicles that local law enforcement agencies have received through grants from the Department of Homeland Security are most commonly used for drug raids and not school shootings and terrorist situations. —

In cases in which police cited the possible presence of a weapon in the home as a reason for utilizing a SWAT team, weapons were found only 35 percent of the time.

ACLU - Full Report

edit on 15-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I have no argument with better support and training

I also see no problem with surplus military items being gifted to them and re-purposed. Both things can be true at the same time.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

I have no argument with better support and training

I also see no problem with surplus military items being gifted to them and re-purposed. Both things can be true at the same time.

No they can't. They need to be stored, maintained and trained to use them. They first should be trained to use what they have.

As it is they have terrible marksmanship statistically speaking. Introducing new equip is only going to compound that.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

A contrived boogeyman for political propaganda at the expense of us all.

I'm not a partisan, but I doubt either side wants anything more than safe streets to raise their kids on. Political crap is political crap.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

? I said I have no issue with better training.

Again, both can happen at the same time.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

? I said I have no issue with better training.

Again, both can happen at the same time.

Nope. They can't. The cost would be exponentially higher to train and teach to maintain new equipment.

Do yoy own firearms? Have you done any marksmanship? My gut says no.

Also nobody is talking about helping officers. Giving them equip they aren't trained to use isn't help
edit on 15-12-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Police should be militarized by training and tactics only. The uniform should not be Military Geardo. The SWAT or what ever in A-Stan Marine Corps wannabe get up is asinine. All black should be standard. You don't wear Digicams as a civilian Cop in urban situations. Unless your a wannabe.
edit on 15-12-2017 by 38181 because: iPhone suvks

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Chicago:

2017 so far:

Shot & Killed: 603
Shot & Wounded: 2851
Total Shot: 3454
Total Homicides: 652

Not enough police to begin with.

The Jackass Site

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Chicago:

2017 so far:

The Jackass Site

And too many corrupt

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
Link to video

During an FBI graduation ceremony President Trump stated:

Just as I promised, we are allowing our local police to access surplus military equipment. Something the previous administration, for some reason, refused to do. Explain that one. Explain it to me please.

Applause from the audience briefly interrupted the president as he spoke. The restrictions were put into place by the Obama administration in 2015 as questions arose out of concerns regarding the hyper-militarization of local police.

Looks like Trump supports a hyper police state.
Remember when a certain politician spoke out against Civil asset forfeiture and Trump said his job should be on the line?
Wonderful man we have here.

Pro Crony Capitalist with Net Neutrality.
Pro Globalist with new China Trade Deals and arming the Saudi Terrorist State.
Pro War and PNAC ambitions with North Korea and China.

Nothing changes

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Your gut is wrong. I could take a squirrels eye out at fifty yards with a .22 by the time I was 12. No military, but plenty of hunting and target shooting experience and of course my toys are much more powerful now. I use hunting weapons, but then if a person is honest, the so called assault weapons serve the same purpose and aim the same way.

My point is you take the equipment when it is offered and then train the people. Storing it is not as big of a deal as you make out and it's certainly cheaper than buying it new. What do you suppose and armored vehicle would cost to produce in the civilian market? Enough to justify storing a gift for years I'm pretty certain.

You seem to think all cops are incompetent boobs? Is that just a personal hatred of them, because it's most certainly not true? Many if not most served in the military first. You don't think they were trained? Many served in battle. Were they trained?
edit on 12/15/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Better equipment, isn't going to help the LEO's lack of training and a/their fear of battle. Nor is it going to help their cnc. If you have to "gear up" and "go to war", to enforce a law" (That will, obviously be questioned in a, "court of law"). You're probably working for the wrong Corporation/s. I'd rethink my "professional development" options at that time. Maybe I'd learn a useful skill?.. I have no problem with a county Sheriff and his/her troops having the gear though, and with proper training. Sheriff's are the "law" "officers" and their "Deputies" are actually "law enforcement". I'd keep the "hardware" at the highest "voted for office" as possible. City "Leo's" are running very "loosely in the saddle" for overpaid security guards and badged tax collectors. I'm still trying to figure out why we've "armed them", but not US. Postal mail man/women? City Leo's work for a less important "government entity ". It's not even on the "top ten" most dangerous jobs, according to The Dept. of Labour.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Most police are not vets. The estimate is less than 1/3rd.

The stats are 80 percent over weight. How many over weight soldiers?

The stats for marksmanship are terrible. Posted links already.

Don't hate cops. My best friend and assistant wrestling coach is a cop.

He says the same things. Must hate himself.

He is a vet.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: xuenchen
Chicago:

2017 so far:

The Jackass Site

And too many corrupt

Chicago has over 12000 police.

How many are corrupt enough to make those crime stats ?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I find it rather confusing how during the Bush and Obama administrations people fear mongered police states, their freedoms being ripped right out of their hands, etc.
Then all of a sudden the fear mongering is everyone else BUT the citizens of the united states. Close all boarders, build walls, advocate terrorism will get you and your children at ANY TIME, advocate buying MORE guns. Now pushing for local police to tout and carry military grade weapons and armor and equipment to 'protect' everyone from everyone else.

I think everything has fallen right into place over the last 15 years, the government has it's people by the balls and they are accepting it, well about 63 million to be exact.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
protesting private citizens

Yep
Citizens protesting is a threat to the Oligarch.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join