It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nazareth mayor cancels Christmas celebration over Trump's Jerusalem decision

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Yes, I know. When I saw the headlines, I thought someone was trying to pull our legs. However, it turns out that this is actually happening and has been reported by a number of news sources.

Nazareth mayor cancels Christmas celebration over Trump's Jerusalem decision

The mayor of the Israeli town of Nazareth said President Trump has taken the "joy" out of Christmas with his decision earlier this month to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Mayor Ali Salam says the town has canceled the events it had planned for the holiday, such as a Christmas market, The New York Daily News reported.

“Our identity and faith cannot be bargained. The decision has taken away the joy of the holiday, and we will cancel the festivities this year,” Salam reportedly said.
Source: The Hill

...and just when you thought the political news couldn't get any stranger...

Newsweek reported it

Mashable story

...etc.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Joy of the holiday?
Bah humbug.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I think the mayor should adopt my avatar

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Accept TRUMP or else, he is gonna roll regardless of what your people want!!!

Trump!

TRUMP!!!

He is your god now.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I thought every pres for the last 20+ years has done the same?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

I think the mayor should adopt my avatar

All I could think of was the Sheriff of Nottingham from "Men In Tights" - that was his line... "Christmas is canceled."

It seems rather extreme (and the economic downfall is sure to make folks unhappy)... and truth to tell, I don't think Trump will even notice.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
I thought every pres for the last 20+ years has done the same?

The one difference is that Trump announced that Jerusalem was the capital of Israel instead of Tel Aviv. Otherwise, yes, the same as all the other Presidents.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Considering how pissed off many of the locals are with the decision I'm not surprised, bloodshed and anger will be the main focus until this is resolved if ever.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Ahh, I looked it up, seems congress in 95 decided Jerusalem was the capitol, and the embassy was to be moved by 99..but a waiver has been signed every 6 months since.
I thought I read here that Trump signed the same waiver?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

That will hit the pockets of a lot of people in the area just after it has been announced that 6000+ jobs are going in the pharmaceutical industry locally there

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Trump literally stole Christmas from the hometown of Jesus.

I can honestly say that's a sentence I never expected to write.
edit on 15-12-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

A lot of people here don't seem to realize that 10-20% of the Palestinians are Christians. They get along with the Palestinian Muslims and their churches and groups have called for international help against the Israeli occupation plenty of times (like with the Kairos Palestine Document). They also want East Jerusalem as the Palestinian capital since the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is there. So naturally, they would also be against handing Jerusalem over to Israel.

As a side note, the town of Nazareth was originally a part of the British Mandate for Palestine, but Israel conquered it in 1948. To this day, virtually all of Nazareth's population are Palestinian Muslims and Palestinian Christians. The formerly Jewish part of Nazareth became a separate city which I think is the city of Nazareth Illit (much of what would become its land was seized from the Muslims and Christians in an imminent domain type of arrangement in the 1950s or 1960s). The biblical town of Bethlehem is in Palestinian territory.

I'm really sleepy so I don't want to fact check anymore. Instead, I'll probably take a break from ATS lol

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   

The Mayor sounds like a prick. I've met him. He is a prick.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Trump announced

No, the correct term is Trump re-announced, the initial announcement was in 1995.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Too bad I stink at computer stuff or I'd totally make a meme with a grinch/Trump combo picture that reads:

THE TRUMP WHO STOLE CHRISTMAS

I'm like, really funny guys. I swear.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   
This is the same mayor who claimed he taught Trump everything he knows and that they have similar ideas - that was just a few months ago.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Regardless, an Arab Mayor doesn't like a US President saying what Presidents have agreed upon for decades, so he punishes Christians... but yeah,... Trump.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGOAT

The Mayor sounds like a prick. I've met him. He is a prick.

The Mayor should engage in a DAY OF RAGE on December 25th. Maybe bang his head against the manger in the town square to show his anger. I assume mayor ALI SALAM has a "Jesus is born" Nativity scene prominently placed in the center of town. RIGHT?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   

THIS POST IS PROPAGANDA.

The OP is deliberately telling one bit of news without giving the context. The reality is THIS:

www.jpost.com...

Nazareth to observe most Christmas festivities despite anger over Trump

Nazareth Mayor Ali Salam decided Thursday to keep most Christmas festivities intact despite anger over US President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. “Our message is we love Jerusalem, we’ll never abandon you under any circumstances,” he said at a press conference in which he announced that singing performances on outdoor stages that are normally part of Nazareth’s Christmas Market would be canceled.

OP, you and your sources are deliberately exaggerating the issue to serve your own political interests. You have made it out that the Mayor has cancelled everything when it is only a minority of carol singing gatherings that will be affected. These precautions have to be taken for the sake of the tourists' security, as well as the security of the performers, Israelis and Palestinians. Would you like to see an atrocity happen, OP? Do you get off on that sort of thing so you can use it as yet more propaganda fodder against Israel?

You are deliberately winding the situation up by doing this. You are CONTRIBUTING to the unrest. That is disgusting.

You have not been honest with ATS by doing this and I had to CLEARLY point this out.

This is the REAL NEWS:

www.jpost.com...

Post Poll: Skyrocketing support for Trump among Israelis

At a time when President Donald Trump’s popularity has fallen in his own country, his decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and start the process of moving the US Embassy there from Tel Aviv has significantly increased his support among Israelis, according to a Smith Research poll taken on Wednesday for The Jerusalem Post.

Happy Holidays, OP. Take some of that advice you are dishing out to others - deny your own ignorance!

edit on 15-12-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Your uppity rightwinger "REAL NEWS" piece doesn't refute a thing.

Christmas celebrations in Nazareth — Jesus’ childhood hometown, according to Christian belief — have been canceled to protest the US president’s recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

The city council announced Thursday that Mayor Ali Salam, a Muslim, had ordered the axing of all planned artistic events, including a festival and large Christmas market.

www.timesofisrael.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Muslin cancels Christmas events .... but Trump!!!

edit on 15/12/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join