It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise of the Megacorp

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Disney now owns Star Wars, Marvel, Fox, ABC, A&E, ESPN, etc. Pretty much all of the biggest intellectual properties.

They're basically an entertainment monopoly at this point. Not literally but they may as well be. I don't see them slowing down anytime soon either. They have gotten exponentially bigger just in the last few years alone with their numerous acquisitions and buyouts.

There's this infograph I can't be bothered to look up right now called "The Illusion of Choice" and shows how pretty much everything we buy or consume is owned by a handful of megacorporations. Pretty sad that we are so entrenched in political bread and circus to take notice or even care about the formation of these monopolies.
edit on 12/14/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Disney now owns Star Wars, Marvel, Fox, ABC, A&E, ESPN, etc. Pretty much all of the biggest intellectual properties.

They're basically an entertainment monopoly at this point. Not literally but they may as well be. I don't see them slowing down anytime soon either. They have gotten exponentially bigger just in the last few years alone with their numerous acquisitions and buyouts.

There's this infograph I can't be bothered to look up right now called "The Illusion of Choice" and shows how pretty much everything we buy or consume is owned by a handful of megacorporations. Pretty sad that we are so entrenched in political bread and circus to take notice or even care about the formation of these monopolies.

Yep
Most Big Business are a huge Monopoly where power and wealth is in fewer and fewer hands across all countries of the world.

That is the NWO is a nutshell.

Some people think there would be this transparent and open one world government but that will not happen and does not need to happen. You control people and countries via financial policies.

If you do not go along, we just sanction you as a country or kill your binary digits as a citizen.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You left out Pixar. It makes a big question on streaming services. Is Netflix dead. How will they make any deals going forward with Disneys' big pockets. The bigger question is will Disney get a sweet deal to stream and Netflix beome throttled.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Net Neutrality being repealed would pretty much break this possibility wide open where those with more money can basically throttle smaller businesses and buy their way to more views and clicks, because who wants to wait in a website to buffer for 20 minutes when there's this other website that loads everything instantly because they have deeper pockets? Repealing Net Neutrality is basically "pay to win" and will throttle smaller businesses into bankruptcy.
edit on 12/14/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I can tell many don't, if any, own a business here. This is not a swipe at anyone, but You need to understand that much of what you see out there as far as these corporations go, it's a house of cards.

The megacorp thing was relevant around the turn of the century and then some mostly because there was no such thing as "The Internet"

All of the things you see out there now are mere smoke and mirrors of power. Things are changing so much right now in terms technology. It's too easy for a new, state of the art idea to be out dated tomorrow now.

They are desperate to survive. That's the only reason for the merging. They know what is about to happen and it's all about to change.

Best time to start a business.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tophat21
Came across a older thread here on Ats a while back reading through dreams and prophesies category.
This member "Now banned, apparently" They Wrote about a dream from the future. This member mentions a "corporate war" in this members story. I kinda see it now. Also there are other parts to this members story that is well? Kinda creepy to say the least.
Link to Ats post

Thanks for sharing that story
That looks like our future.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

"The third thing that has occurred this week, that has surprisingly not really been reported on at all, is the acquisition of Aetna by CVS. A few years back there was a thread, I think it was about CVS stopping sale of cigarettes, I warned that between CVS, their MinuteClinics, and their insurance company Caremark that they were trying to take control of healthcare in this company. With the acquisition of Aetna, the third largest insurance provider in the country, they're one step closer. Something else that makes this merger all the more disconcerting is that since 2015 CVS has been partnered with Epic Systems, the largest electronic health record vendor. I don't know if this merger now makes CVS the largest insurance provider in the world but it certainly puts them pretty close. Regardless, it certainly drastically increases the amount of health records they, and by extension Epic, have access to. "

So... let me understand this... a U.S. District Court Judge ruled against the merger of Humana and Aetna ($37 billion merger )... so then Aetna pulls from the marketplace offerings claiming it isn't profitable.

Then while everyone's eyes are diverted toward this NO ruling... a new merger moves forward between CVS and Aetna ($69 billion acquisition) ...

The acquisition is not a done deal. It will have to be approved by antitrust regulators, who have been skeptical of similar health care mergers.

CVS Buying Aetna

Sigh...

leolady

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

We're there already.

In September 2012, the Justice Department’s Asset Forfeiture and Money Laundering Section (AFMLS) formally recommended that HSBC be prosecuted for its numerous financial crimes.

The history: From 2006 to 2010, HSBC failed to monitor billions of dollars of U.S. dollar purchases with drug trafficking proceeds in Mexico. It also conducted business going back to the mid-1990s on behalf of customers in Cuba, Iran, Libya, Sudan, and Burma, while they were under sanctions. Such transactions were banned by U.S. law.

Newly public internal Treasury Department records show that AFMLS Chief Jennifer Shasky wanted to seek a guilty plea for violations of the Bank Secrecy Act. “DoJ is mulling over the ramifications that could flow from such an approach and plans to finalize its decision this week,” reads an email from September 4, 2012, to senior Treasury officials. On September 7, Treasury official Dennis Wood describes the AFMLS decision as an “internal recommendation to ask the bank [to] plead guilty.” It was a “bombshell,” Wood wrote, because of “the implications of a criminal plea,” and “the sheer amount of the proposed fines and forfeitures.”

But after British financial minister George Osborne complained to the Federal Reserve chairman and the Treasury Secretary that DOJ was unfairly targeting a British bank, senior Justice Department leadership reportedly sought to “better understand the collateral consequences of a conviction/plea before taking such a dramatic step.”

theintercept.com...

It's pretty much the follow-up on "too big to fail" with "too big to jail". At this point they literally own politiclowns like Osborne. Talking about a "potential" rise of the megacorp would be an euphemism, IMO.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

The megacorp thing was relevant around the turn of the century and then some mostly because there was no such thing as "The Internet"

Your reply here is intriguing. Yes, I can see that these huge corporations are merging because they want to remain relevant, hence profitable. And what intrigues me about your post is the huge changes that you see on the horizon that you suppose they also see and hence are preparing for.

Yet, it seems by your post anyway that the bright future for small businesses relies upon the lynch-pin of access to consumers with that access being the internet. But with this FCC ruling yesterday, rolling back the safe-guards for those very businesses and handing the larger corporations a freer ability to control the internet how does this ''bright future'' vision hold up? Just what are these things that are about to happen that will change everything?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join