It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm old and I like Millennials

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yes, I'm old and I like Millennials (not in a Roy Moore sort of way though)

I think we are in the middle of a reckoning and it is being lead by Millennials. some might find that humorous and think that all young people are lazy, living in their parents basements, eating chips and playing video games.

Maybe some are, but maybe they are deep independent thinkers too, more so than previous generations.

I feel like this generation doesn't exist to keep up appearances, unlike Gen X and baby boomers. For example, look at a school yearbook from 1990, you'll see most of the girls and boys all have pretty much the same haircut and looks, many of the same clothes. Now look at a more recent yearbook, you'll see a lot more individuality in hair, dress and demeanor.

I find that a lot of millennials are asking the questions that we've been too afraid to confront.
Sexual harassment, why has it gone on so long?
Yes millennials are also asking some very controversial questions, why aren't drugs legal, gay rights, trans rights, justice for blacks, equal pay for women, abortion rights, education rights, rights to birth control etc. and many many other hot topics. Yes some of these were brought up during gen X, but not like they are now.

Millennials are more tech savvy, and in a way better educated than any generation before. Baby boomers don't lie, when your cable or internet is having issues, who do you call? I think we are going to see a whole new wave of what millennials are made if Net Neutrality really goes through.

I feel like Millennials have gotten a bad rap for simply not being like Gen X or Baby Boomers. Let's face it both of those generations had their share of problems and were brought up in two totally different times. Only time will tell, but I have a feeling this generation will leave a mark on history. I've talked to some Baby boomers that share the sentiment. We'll see.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Amen OP. MIllenials are also doing things new ways and disrupting our stale society. They all want to start their own businesses and use lift and uber instead of taxis etc. It's good. especially in the US where we're being led by 70 year old men with 70 year old ideas. Time to move on peeps.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Personally, I marvel at the up and coming iGen crowd. They are just entering the workforce now.

Amazing retro/old-school group that culturaly are the most libertarian generation of my lifetime.

When the pendulum swings, it swings hard apparently.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We probably don't agree on much, but thank you. All I've heard from older people is how bad and stupid my generation is.

I think the younger millennials are even more open than people my age (I was a kid in the 1990s). I really see a revolution of thought and hopefully society once we get into power and can get rid of all those bad ideas our current leaders are trying to carry over from last century.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I'm old too!

I also like the millennials. The ones who love their country, the ones who refuse to be victims, the ones who refuse to give up just because someone tells them life sucks and you're a victim of everything bad that happens to you.

I really dig the millennials who know how to take a knife and dress a rabbit to eat!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
My biggest hope is that they shift the political power to third party and independent candidates. They already don't watch network news shows and aren't brainwashed by Rachel maddow and Sean Hannity and the rest of those clowns.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Yes! This is exactly what I am talking about, they are non followers.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thank you. I've been trying to drive this point home over the past few days. Older people have been trying to paint Millennials as uniquely awful but it just isn't the case. They're lost just like the Beats. They're self-indulgent just like the baby boomers. And let's be fair, underneath it all they have the self-loathing of Generation X.

This is the same cycle that plays out over and over. The older generation still likes to think of themselves as Ferris Bueller but in truth they have slipped in to the role of Principal Rooney. Just like their parents they don't understand the new generation and so they mock it. But what the Millennials are doing is really no different than what others did at their age.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
hey thanks
apparently i'm just barely a millennial, which was news to me.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'm in my 30's and I think everyone sucks, so atleast I"m fair about it.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Maybe you admire the few millennials that are acting like your generation did. I doubt you like the ones that get triggered by any keyword and think they hate capitalism and hard work.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Some of us have been in the work force for twenty years now.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: amazing

Yes! This is exactly what I am talking about, they are non followers.

LOL, just have a commie pull out a bullhorn and they will follow him anywhere.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The iGen (or Gen Z) group was born post 2000.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

I guess Forbes places them after 1995.

Why Democrats Should Be Losing Sleep Over Generation Z

According to research, Gen Z is more individualistic, more conservative both socially and fiscally, and they’re already making waves of impact on our political system. Gen Z, those born in 1995 or later, is possibly the most conservative generation since World War II, and it is worrying that their impact has been completely overlooked during this election. While our fears might be preemptive, we should not make the mistake of disregarding the intriguing yet also possibly worrying world views of Generation Z.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Millennials. Generation Xers. Hippies. Beatniks. Baby Boomers. Suffragettes. Whoever...

The Arc of the Moral Universe Is Long, But It Bends Toward Justice.

...and plays guitar.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Millennials are more tech savvy, and in a way better educated than any generation before.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Sure, in general, they are more tech savvy as users of technology. But I wouldn't say they are more tech savvy in understanding how technology works.

And I don't think they are necessarily any better educated than previous generations. Differently educated, yes. They grew up for the most part in a day and age where information is at your fingertips. You don't have to use a lot of creativity to find it.

I do see that, in general, the social skills that I grew up with (carrying a good in-person conversation, for example) are not as prevalent among millennials.

Just like any generation, they lack the perspective of previous generations. That's just how it works.

Not better, not worse... just different.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

S&F! Thanks for this. It gets tiring being told that my generation is ruining the world when the world was already going down hill thanks to the very generations blaming us.

To be honest, it isn't one generation or the other. It's all of us. We all need to show more responsibility and stop blaming everyone else for our problems.
edit on 14-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop
I do see that, in general, the social skills that I grew up with (carrying a good in-person conversation, for example) are not as prevalent among millennials.

While face-to-face skills may be in decline, I'd like to take the opportunity to jump in front of anyone who wants to say that text messages are ruining social interactions. Text speak is actually proven to IMPROVE your vocabulary.

The Influence of Texting Language on Grammar and Executive Functions in Primary School Children

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

It was not really any different.

Think back to the 60's and 70's. Protests aplenty, Democrats and Republicans at each other's throats, an unpopular war and young people criticized for their departure from what was the previous norms. Seems to me it's all really familiar because it repeats every generation and yet each generation continues to make progress.

Technology changes, but people remain the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join