It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill banning Down syndrome abortions passes in Ohio, heads to Kasich's desk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   

The GOP-led Ohio state Senate on Wednesday passed a ban on abortions based on a diagnosis of Down syndrome, and Republican Gov. John Kasich has sent signals that he will soon sign the measure into law.

Lawmakers voted 20-12 in favor of the ban, which would prohibit doctors from performing an abortion if doctors know that it is being sought, "in whole or in part," to avoid a Down syndrome pregnancy.

Bill banning Down syndrome abortions passes in Ohio, heads to Kasich's desk

I am without a doubt (post history proving) pro life. That said, who can determine the worth of a life (fetus) that has downs syndrome? I can understand the potential shortened life period of a person with downs. But why should downs alone be the determining factor over what impact they have in this world? That said, who can say the life should be shortened without the chance to impact the world?

Is Ohio on the right side of history? Or not?

I on one side want to defend the right for a downs person to impact the world... but where is the line drawn?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

It’s all about the girls with this Republican party.
Well, Gods, Guns, and Girls.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

It’s all about the girls with this Republican party.
Well, Gods, Guns, and Girls.

so youre pro kill babies with downs?

Because you didnt answer the question posited by the OP, you just obfuscated and tried to go with a talking point, which is pretty disgusting, but then again im not surprised.

edit on 14-12-2017 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3
I don’t recall sex having anything to do with it.

Male and Female both face world altering repercussions.
edit on 12/14/2017 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I don't think it matters one iota what we scream about morality or about liberty of choice. All that matters is what the parents want. If they are adamant they will find a way to abort regardless, and I'd rather it not be amateurish... and if they can't abort but are certain they cannot raise it, well there's another abandoned baby.

It's also worth noting that there is already a much higher mortality rate. So it might be saving the parents added trauma of having their week old baby dying in their arms...

Data on survival were obtained for 577 children. Among them 43 (7.5%) died during the first week of life.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

A girls uterus is not my business. How would I know what’s in there?

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Are 20 out of 32 lawmakers also for passing laws to provide these mothers with a substantial income, with enough resources to care for this baby for the rest of the mother's life? And do the 20 out of 32 lawmakers also want to pass laws providing for the baby in question? Their education? Their therapy?

I don't pose this question specifically in the context of a down syndrome baby. I would ask this question about any law trying to outlaw what a human does with their own reproductive system.

If taxpayers are wanting to dictate lives, they need to own that burden. From what I've seen, it's the ones who want to control adult bodies who specifically don't want to help shoulder the burden.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

They get WIC and hard work like the rest of us peasents. Deal with it.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

A girls uterus is not my business. How would I know what’s in there?

Again a non answer.

Are you pro killing babies with downs syndrome, answer the question instead of trying to go a different direction.

If one of your 3 children had downs in the womb would you have killed it?
edit on 14-12-2017 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I'm confused.

So it's ok to abort healthy babies but we want to keep and populate the world with defective ones?

I'm pretty sure we got this Eugenics theory backwards. lol

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I doubt this goes anywhere. The Life of of the Down's unborn child would then have a worth more than any other unborn child. If you can't kill a one Unborn Child , why would you be other to kill other , far more viable Unborn Children?

Society so far has deemed the rights of unborn children to be basically nil in regards to abortion.

Yet a mother can be charged with negligence for birthing an addicted child. Guess she should have just aborted it.

Link

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
I'm confused.

So it's ok to abort healthy babies but we want to keep and populate the world with defective ones?

I'm pretty sure we got this Eugenics theory backwards. lol

Pretty sure theres nothing "lol" about eugenics

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

No. The "rest of you peasants" aren't being forced to raise a child with down syndrome by threat of law.

No matter how much milk and cheese you buy, it's not going to compensate for the lifetime burden of raising that child.

You want to force her to have that baby? YOU need to help shoulder that burden.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Taxpayers may own my uterus but you don’t own my mind.

(post by muzzleflash removed for a manners violation)
(post by Abysha removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
perhaps people cling to their high moral authority until it specifically effects themselves...

Down syndrome Diagnosis

When nonpregnant people are asked if they would have a termination if their fetus tested positive, 23–33% said yes. and when women who screened positive are asked, 89–97% say yes.

edit on 14-12-2017 by ShadowChatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

No. The "rest of you peasants" aren't being forced to raise a child with down syndrome by threat of law.

No matter how much milk and cheese you buy, it's not going to compensate for the lifetime burden of raising that child.

You don't kill babies.

I have a beautiful daughter, nothing you say will sway that perspective.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

You don't kill babies.

I have a beautiful daughter, nothing you say will sway that perspective.

So do I. I don't kill babies, correct.

But I also don't think making it illegal will prevent a damn thing and will only make abortions unsafe.

If you want to prevent abortions, advocate for laws that help single mothers and subsidizes families who choose to have children with down syndrome.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join