It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is applause

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hello all,
I recently opened an account here and started posting things. Then I received a message saying I had received applause and 500 points.
I don't know what points are, or how they are used, so some input would be great.

And the other question I have is.
The person/member who gave me applause - What is standard manners for this? Do I message that person with a thank you, or is it best to not disturb them?
Thanks in advance.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

You can use your points to buy Bitcoin. You do have to give a cut to the moderator who gave you the applause but that's part of the T&C.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

An applause from staff is a good thing. Points used to apply towards gifts like hats and t shirts in a parallel universe, long ago.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
To answer your question.

Applause is given by ATS Staff Members ( moderators ) who want to recognize a post and or thread that adds quality content to the discussion / site. Sometimes you may receive an applause for being helpful to other members as well.

I know that I enjoy receiving "thank yous" from those I applaud, it's never a bother sending staff U2U's ( private messages ).

Welcome to ATS.
edit on 12-12-2017 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Awesome!
Now what moderators can we abuse /coerce / blackmail into getting this Bitcoin mine rolling....
Lol

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

All of them!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Ahhh. Ok. That makes sense as I didn't see any stats change on my profile and was trying to figure it out.
And I will fire off a thanks to that person.
Thanks guys

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You can use your points to buy Bitcoin. You do have to give a cut to the moderator who gave you the applause but that's part of the T&C.

Don't let him BS you.

The cut goes to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Applause is like the round headed boy telling you...."you're funny"

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

“Applause is the spur of noble minds, the end and aim of weak ones.” - Edmund Burke (1730-1797)

~~wink wink
edit on 12-12-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Etymology: "Applause" is the singular instance of "plausi", an anagram of both "pulsai" (Latin first-person singular past historic of "pulsare" to 'beat', 'pulsate' or 'throb') and "spulai" (first-person singular past historic of "spulare" - to 'thresh').

Essentially, receiving "applause" from someone therefore means they wish to do you violence (beat or thresh), but only once.

Example: "Having an implausible (adjective genitive of 'not having opportunity to do violence') number of plausi and a baseball bat, means that one could dispense applause here or there at whim (the masculine singular of 'wher')".

edit on 12/12/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hewhowaits
And the other question I have is.
The person/member who gave me applause - What is standard manners for this? Do I message that person with a thank you, or is it best to not disturb them?
Thanks in advance.

I typically send a thank you, because I just think it's courteous.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It happens when a staff member wants to reward you for something good you did. It is solely at their discretion, depending on how much they feel you deserve a high-five for something "above and beyond"

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Just save them up. It won't be long before one of the Mods sends you a warning. They cost 500 a time and if you can't pay they take your pinky finger

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Alas, my longstanding efforts to convince the owners to award us a dollar a point as a gesture of appreciation have so far proven unsuccessful.

I can't imagine why not.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic

Alas, my longstanding efforts to convince the owners to award us a dollar a point as a gesture of appreciation have so far proven unsuccessful.

I can't imagine why not.

Applause!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Etymology: "Applause" is the singular instance of "plausi", an anagram of both "pulsai" (Latin first-person singular past historic of "pulsare" to 'beat', 'pulsate' or 'throb') and "spulai" (first-person singular past historic of "spulare" - to 'thresh').

Essentially, receiving "applause" from someone therefore means they wish to do you violence (beat or thresh), but only once.

Example: "Having an implausible (adjective genitive of 'not having opportunity to do violence') number of plausi and a baseball bat, means that one could dispense applause here or there at whim (the masculine singular of 'wher')".

Cool I've never thought about where the word applause came from. I just learned something here. Thank you.

I'd give you applause but now I know I should save that for people I dislike instead of those that are helpful.

edit on 12/12/2017 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/12/2017 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
As many have said 'Applause" is a way that staff can recognize above and beyond posts (even of you don't agree with them)

There used to be a points based system that you could use to buy custom colors on your avatar, access to special forums etc. It was based on post counts, response etc. The 500 point were a nice bump back in the day and remain part of the legacy system etc.

Handing out applause is one of the best parts of being staff
edit on 12/12/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Majic

$2.00 for you but, NO SOUP.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Springer
a reply to: Majic

$2.00 for you but, NO SOUP.

Can I still have soup? I mean to be honest since you fired the Grey's the soup has gone down in qulity, but its still pretty good........

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join