It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS adverts data drain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Hi ATS, this is not a rant or complaint just an honest observation.
Your new advert platform provider is a massive data drain.
I used to use more data on my mobile phone package on fb but now it is ATS which rinses it out like a wet rag. The adverts refresh and stream in the background so reading an interesting long page can use up quite a few meg of data without realising it.

I found a solution though, I disable mobile data as soon as page text loads so the adverts don't get a chance.
Call me a cheapskate I'll wear the hat, but with data usage I have to pay for like a peasant, I can't be having my data allowance stolen by adverts I don't even look at.

Good luck to ATS if it increases your revenue but as a user with limits on data transfer I say your adverts can go do one.
edit on 11-12-2017 by TJames because: correct autocorrect

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Ad Blockers and Ad Blocker-Blocker-Blockers(i love the term) are pure self defense, nowadays!

I never used or would use my telephone to visit the web, because the ad bombardement everywhere is even worse with mobile internet. Because, at least in Germany, so called flat rates for mobile internet are no flat rates, you get 1GB to 5 or 10 GB of data you can use at, for germany, normal speed. After that it´s so slow that you can´t use it anymore. Then you have to pay for your next "flatrate"...

That´s one of the reasons i never would use mobile internet, you pay with your good money for use- and senseless ads that eat your data allowance. I rather use a big enough screen, keyboard and mouse on a desktop computer or at least notebook, pay once for a real flatrate that is faster and way more stable than mobile internet ever could be here. Plus, my telephone isn´t such a spying device like telephones that are infected with mobile internet. It still is a syping device, but not to compare with mobile internet infected phones.

But hey, i like to keep my data, that means i am old school and have no clue anyway...

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TJames

You think thats bad, when net "Neutrality" kicks in, all you will be able to do is watch your phone like a tv and hit mute when the commercial breaks start.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

LOL I get ya about being old school, same here but I need Internet enabled phone for work so when I'm skiving it's my access to ATS. I'm self employed before anyone whines, I skive on my own dime.

Up until recently I've found adverts to be less intrusive on mobile compared to laptop, but the new advert platform is horrible using so much data without even clicking on anything. I'm typing this offline and will enable data just before clicking reply it's that bad.

...oh and thanks for replying, thought this was going to be my 2nd thread with no responses

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Do you really think so?
I've read some claims about the future but personally I don't see it happening.
Maybe a US thing?
Here in the UK we have multiple choices of Internet providers, the company running the phone lines are obliged to rent their use out to 3rd party ISP'S, I understand it is quite the monopoly in some parts of the US though.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TJames

Do you really think so?
I've read some claims about the future but personally I don't see it happening.
Maybe a US thing?
Here in the UK we have multiple choices of Internet providers, the company running the phone lines are obliged to rent their use out to 3rd party ISP'S, I understand it is quite the monopoly in some parts of the US though.

Censorship is always disguised as a Monopoly, to stem 'competition'-- I mean information.

I am from days gone by when the only information freely available was one way top down from TV, radio and newspapers. The control freaks hate the internet, they want to return to the good ol days where they had complete control of the mass mind.

The trend is always toward limiting the internet.

They made downloading web content illegal in the name of copyright infirignemnet, remember? Then they took down Mega Upload because it stored content on line, then they slowed the internet down, now they want o tier it and sell packages like they do cable tv.

Slowly but surely we see more removal of videos like you tubes (sorry about that) and disabling of comments section , increased and longer ads.

All we need is a good crisis to censor it all, except the Disney channel, sporting events, weather and the News.

And now a word from our sponsors...
edit on 11-12-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I remember only having 3 TV channels but I don't share your thoughts regarding Internet restrictions in the future.
The UK fibre optic network is run by one company but it's a mute point to me as my street was never provided it when it was installed nationwide however many years ago. The standard phone lines however have many companies offering internet services.

Mobile phone wise I can think of around 10 different companies offering good 4G access, and I switch regularly depending on the deals.

Again I can't see this net limitation you suggest because as soon as one company tries it they'll swiftly lose customers.

...I just want to browse ATS without rinsing my data on adverts I'm not even looking at.
This new advert platform is the worst change I've seen in all the years I've browsed this site.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TJames

I remember only having 3 TV channels but I don't share your thoughts regarding Internet restrictions in the future.
The UK fibre optic network is run by one company but it's a mute point to me as my street was never provided it when it was installed nationwide however many years ago. The standard phone lines however have many companies offering internet services.

Sadly they do have total control. Try looking for footage of US bombing attacks in Syria, for instance. Even though the US backed insurgents have been routed by Russia, the uS is still there, is building permanent bases inside Syrian sovereign territory. But you wont find much about that on the internet.

Thats how much control they exert about whats really going on.

For another comparison look at how upset the Pentagon was at the release of the Collateral Damage video by Manning and Wikileaks. Assange is still hiding in an embassy on British soil for fear of being prosecuted for telling the truth.

The censors hate that...
edit on 11-12-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It wasn't that many years ago that I saw a clip of Hillary Klingon complaining that the US was losing a new war. An information war. Some "people" do not like the way we can all communicate freely with each other finding information and sharing it which your government does not approve of.

They hate leakers, whistle-blowers, anyone that threatens their narrative is to be demonised in every way possible. Rape or pedo allegations are often the first tactic they use, but not the only one. Some # sticks even if it is not true...

top topics

join