It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 to Windows 7: a special case

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have a Lenovo desktop the hard drive of which has failed. This computer came with an OEM installation of Windows 7. During the period when Microsoft was offering a free update to Windows 10 I migrated upward. I think there was a period when it was operating Windows 8 at some point.

I have an installation disc for Windows 7 and I have a new hard drive. The Windows 7 disc is unable to install that operating system on the new hard drive because it is unable to create the partitions necessary to do so.

I thought this might be because the BIOS of the computer must have been changed when the upgrades took place. I found out the model of the motherboard (CIH61MI v1.1) and went to the Lenovo website to download an .exe with drivers appropriate to this motherboard and to Windows 7, however I can't run the .exe on the computer because it does not have an operating system or a usable hard drive at this point.

Is it possible to connect the new hard drive to another computer with the appropriate USB adapter and run the .exe on that computer without affecting its BIOS, and transfer the drivers to the hard drive that way.

Is this the right way to go about solving this problem or am I way off the track? Is it possible to boot to BIOS in the computer without the hard drive and run the .exe from a USB stick?

I am a little over my head with this issue and would appreciate any suggestions from uber geeks among the members. Thanks in advance.
edit on 7-12-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
I have a Lenovo desktop the hard drive of which has failed. This computer came with an OEM installation of Windows 7. During the period when Microsoft was offering a free update to Windows 10 I migrated upward. I think there was a period when it was operating Windows 8 at some point.

I have an insstallation disc for Windows 7 and I have a new hard drive. The Windows 7 disc is unable to install that operating system on the new hard drive because it is unable to create the partitions necessary to do so.

I thought this might be because the BIOS of the computer must have been changed when the upgrades took place. I found out the model of the motherboard (CIH61MI v1.1) and went to the Lenovo website to download an .exe with drivers appropriate to this motherboard and to Windows 7, however I can't run the .exe on the computer because it does not have an operating system or a usable hard drive at this point.

Is it possible to connect the new hard drive to another computer with the appropriate USB adapter and run the .exe on that computer without affecting the BIOS, and transfer the drivers to the hard drive that way.

Is this the right way to go about solving this problem or am I way off the track? Is it possible to boot to BIOS in the computer without the hard drive and run the .exe from a USB stick?

I am a little over my head with this issue and would appreciate any suggestions from uber geeks among the members. Thanks in advance.

Sometimes? You just cant take a fuel injection carburetor off a Lamborgini...and replace it with a old 4 barrel.
(Sometimes...ya just gotta upgrade everything you own so all are compatible).

P.S. And of late...prices on almost everything new are getting ridiculously lower

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
just an idea, not sure if it would help.
But what about a Partition program and cleaning a partitioning the hard disc before trying to istall win7 again.
I had a problem where my computer(win7) made all my hd´s bootable harddisc and that caused a lot of problems.
Only help was a partition manager tool.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
When I upgraded to ssds on this ancient computer.

I went to Microsoft and used their tool to make windows installation usb.

Then just entered the microsoft key that came with the disc.

It's pretty straight forward.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

It crossed my mind. the computer is probably around 10 years old and ran flawlessly until the day the hard drive went kaflooey. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Enter the BIOS settings and look for something called "boot method". Windows 10 may have changed it to UEFI but I doubt windows can alter BIOS settings. (I have no UEFI motherboard). If you see UEFI is enabled change it back to Legacy Boot. Save changes, restart PC and you should be able to install Windows 7 again.

ETA The above is also the easiest thing the check first. I am assuming your hard drive is SATA. Am I right?
edit on 7/12/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

That might be the way. Thanks.

link   
Does the new hard drive require formatting before you install the operating system. I would think this could be done from bios. Are there any jumpers that need to be positioned on the electrical connections of the new hard drive?

edit on 2017-12-07T10:01:52-06:0010amThu, 07 Dec 2017 10:01:52 -0600ThursdayAmerica/Chicago5231 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

edit on 2017-12-07T10:03:56-06:0010amThu, 07 Dec 2017 10:03:56 -0600ThursdayAmerica/Chicago5631 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I've run across this solution on line, but I couldn't figure out how to get to the BIOS. I kept getting a page with various boot options but not the sort of set up page I was looking for. I will try this when I find out what to type to get into the BIOS setup page. I seem to recall being there at one point in the past and not finding the options you mention. This was immediately after the hard drive failed and someone suggested it as a way to start Windows if it was giving difficulty booting up.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

The install disc had no trouble finding the hard drive, but it might require formatting. al the messages from the install disc related to drivers and to failure to create initial partitions, but you might be on the right track. Maybe I have to prep the HD before installing.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Double post.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Enter BIOS Upon Restart

When you restart your system, press either F1 for the Setup Utility or F12 for the Boot Menu. Both the Setup Utility and the Boot Menu are parts of BIOS and not your operating system.

Generally the F2 key is used to enter the Lenovo’s notebook’s BIOS Setup, but some new models have a special button called Novo to replace Lenovo BIOS Key.

If your Lenovo uses F1 or F2 key you can access to your BIOS by start pressing on to your key a few times to your BIOS setup key just after Power ON your computer from OFF state.

edit on 7-12-2017 by Tellurian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I went into the BIOS (press F1) but I was not offered the options you mentioned. There was only "Quick Boot" and "Rapid Boot", plus "Number Lock status" and "Keyboardless".

It is a SATA hard drive.

(I'll be back later. I have to go out for a while. Thanks for the responses.)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Windows 7 End of extended support is Jan 14, 2020.

Any computer you have now should have win 10 on it.

Depending on the version you can get a license for win 10 for under $30 dollars if you google it.

www.google.com...

This here is $7.95 for win 10 pro. I'm a bit wary of sketchy online stores usually. But for 8 bucks. kinda worth the risk. Buyer beware.
www.ecrater.com...

edit on 7-12-2017 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I've run into this problem before. I don't remember the details, but I eventually got it to work after a few restarts and CMOS tweaks. It seems this is pretty common. This page matches my experience. I was booting from USB, but maybe you can get it to work by ejecting the disc too.

neosmart.net...

edit on 7-12-2017 by Templeton because: coffee

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

The upgrade is free until December 31st.

www.microsoft.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Thanks. That might be my final stop on this journey.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
a reply to: CharlesT

The install disc had no trouble finding the hard drive, but it might require formatting. al the messages from the install disc related to drivers and to failure to create initial partitions, but you might be on the right track. Maybe I have to prep the HD before installing.

OK. Those installers (OEM) can be notoriously picky expecting things in a certain state. You could try hanging the drive in another PC to format it and see if that works. (Quick option) Or...

Download a WIndows 7 Official ISO. These give the option to format the drive at installation time. I'm guessing Lenovo pre-formats their drives before shipping and the installer you possess is expecting that. You will need to burn the ISO to a DVD or USB drive. This is also why I hate these support CD's that OEM's use. Good luck!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
u dont need windows 10 i still run 7 its perfectaly compatable with everything

when u get to the install screen for 7 go to the advances options there is a partition creator in there

if that fails get a 3rd party program like partition magic

if you cant get that use a doner computer and install there but do not let it boot to windows i normaly stop it at the first restart once the files have been put on the hard drive u donot need the install disk after that

also yes it is posible to change bios setting from windows ... just not simple or normal to be done

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Since the PC already has a license for Win 10, you could install that on the new HDD. Activation should be automatic.

You shouldn't have to go through all the old OS's to work back up to an activated Win 10. The digital license is stored in the cloud. Of course if you change more than just the HDD, it will need a new license.

To get Win 10, you can download the "Media Creation Tool" (obviously on another PC) and make up a bootable thumb drive, or a DVD.

Download Windows 10 direct from Microsoft

Also, the new hard drive may have an existing partition format (like EFI) that is preventing you from reformatting.

To clear it, boot from the Win 7 or Win 10 install media (either works) and, when you get to the start of the install (which is nicely graphical) press the "F10" key + the "Shift" key. This should open a terminal type window.

Type "DISKPART" and then press the "Enter" key.

When it loads and comes up with a new prompt, type "LIST DISK" and then press the "Enter" key.

This should show you all the drives and some parameters. Take note of the disk number of the largest disk (remember, Gigabytes are bigger than Megabytes, even if the number is smaller). Usually it will be DISK 0.

Type "SELECT DISK " and then the number of the HDD disk (e.g. "SELECT DISK 0") and then press the "Enter" key.

Then type "CLEAN" and then press the "Enter" key. This should wipe clear the previous partition table.

At this point, you can type "EXIT" and then press the "Enter" key, and "EXIT" and then press the "Enter" key, again. This should close the terminal window and you should now be good to go to complete the setup (which will detect that there is no partition and will select the disk to install on and format it as part of the install).

edit on 7/12/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join