It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California is on fire Dec 2017

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I heard Rupert Murdoch's mansion burned yesterday.

Yep. Looks like it did.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
Remember when liberals were saying the hurricane in Texas was karma for voting for Trump?

'Nuff said.

Even tho your post works for me. It just never ends.

But the winds seem to have died down today, so there's
that!
edit on Rpm120717v22201700000056 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Its a scary thing, I read a number of old cold war papers written about what would happen in some of those southern California areas. It was not a pretty read, some of those big cities have limited egress points that would lead to almost a total loss of life. (not saying here specifically just in general)

Here is to hoping they get enough control to minimize losses to the fire fighters or the people.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You know all the cold Arctic air on the east coast? I was complaining on a thread about how it was raining here in Alaska (the Shiver me timbers one). The thing is the Cali Fires, rain in AK, east coast blast are all related!

Low pressure over AK pushes cold Artic air from Canada south. The jet stream is curved up north while travelling east it sinks south. All the cold Canadian air follows the trough (sp?) south. Behind on the west coast, the winds blow southward off the desert: the Santa Ana winds.

The cold air (i.e., the jet stream) is in a holding pattern; the Artic blast article said maybe until Thursday, December 21.
edit on 7-12-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: spelling

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Most common source other than arson is broken glass acting like a lense and setting dead grass on fire.

A plastic bag filled with water in the sun can act as a lense and start a fire even. So think about that next time you see someone throw a glass bottle into the bushes.
edit on 7-12-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

They suspected the ones in Northern Cali were caused by winds damaging power lines that sparked or whipped around on dry brush and grass while sparking.

Glad you made it out of there!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Uber wealthy living in bel air having their homes burn down doesnt move me at all. I dont see it as a tragedy. Karma maybe but not a tragedy.

A tragedy is if that fire effects the getty and the skirball. They both have priceless treasures in there that are representative of humanities virtuosity and of the deelpest of human expression.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
Uber wealthy living in bel air having their homes burn down doesnt move me at all. I dont see it as a tragedy. Karma maybe but not a tragedy.

A tragedy is if that fire effects the getty and the skirball. They both have priceless treasures in there that are representative of humanities virtuosity and of the deppest of human expression.

Seems like you are falling into a dark place.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yeah we had heavy rains in the beginning of 2017. The grass grew at above normal amounts leaving for an entire year a solid thick bed of dry dead kindling. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

Where the fires shutting down the sepulveda pass is a huge deal thozgh. The 405/sepulveda pass is a major artery for travel through los angeles. It shutting down literally paralyzes huge swaths of the city. Its effecting westwood. West hollywood. Brentwood. Santa monica. West los angeles. Century city. Beverly hills. Cheviot hills. Holmby hills. Bel air. Culver city. Anybody trying to get to the air port. Van nuys sherman oaks tarzana. Encino. Northridge. Balboa. Encino. Woodland hills. Folks trying to get to long beach. Redondo. Marina del rey. Playa del rey. And thats just off the top of my head. A few million people basically who are now basically sheltering in place or forced to sit in gridlocked traffic and travel 18 miles at the minimum out of their way to go to places only 6 miles away. Its a catastrophe.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Why cause i think priceless art representing the finest of humanity being threatened is a horrible thing...cause it is.

Or are you questioning my lack of sympathy for 1 percenters living in bel air having to feel the same fear and insecurity the average person does on a daily basis. Guess they cant be so cavelier about dismissing everybody else on earth as being below them when tjey too are now humbled just a tinsy bit.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Have a Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

originally posted by: face23785
Remember when liberals were saying the hurricane in Texas was karma for voting for Trump?

'Nuff said.

Even tho your post works for me. It just never ends.

But the winds seem to have died down today, so there's
that!

I can't stand it when people try to say that some disaster is God's wrath for (whatever pet peeve they have).
The gospels directly debunk this idea. At one point, Jesus asks rhetorically if the 18 people who died when the tower of Siloam fell down were bigger sinners than everyone else who didn't die. The point is that disasters happen to good people as well as bad people.
edit on 7-12-2017 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Have a Merry Christmas.

You too. May your christmas and holiday season be merry and wonderful.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

K Andy, first off you do realise you quoted my reply to someone
else right?

I can't stand it when people try to say that some disaster is God's wrath for (whatever pet peeve they have).

And respectfully, I can't be sure where this is coming from
unless you're just making a general comment.

The gospels directly debunk this idea. At one point, Jesus asks rhetorically if the 18 people who died when the tower of Siloam fell down were bigger sinners than everyone else who didn't die. The point is that disasters happen to good people as well as bad people.

Alright, anyway fair enough.
edit on Rpm120717v31201700000038 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Spin

Four major wildfires continue to wreak havoc in Southern California, burning over 110,000 acres, destroying over 300 buildings, shutting down hundreds of schools in at least 15 school districts, and prompting evacuation orders for over 200,000 residents. With the largest blaze, the Thomas fire in Ventura County, only 5 percent contained, the state National Guard has joined the response effort, dispatching planes to drop retardant in the Ojai area. In total, CNN reports, nearly 5,000 firefighters are working to protect neighborhoods and contain the fires.

The smallest of these blazes, the Skirball fire, is creeping through the Bel-Air canyon, home to some of the county’s most elite neighborhoods. This is where Los Angeles County firefighters spotted flames on a 13-acre vineyard owned by climate change-denying media mogul Rupert Murdoch. Three helicopters quickly dropped water on the property on Wednesday, and the winery and home appear to be safe, Murdoch said in a statement. More than 350 firefighters, 52 engines and six fixed-wing aircraft are working to contain Skirball, according to the Los Angeles Times.

That’s around 20 percent of the total number of fire engines operated by the Los Angeles county and city fire departments, though it’s unclear what percentage it is of all resources being diverted to the fire, including from outside sources. Skirball currently stretches around 475 acres, less than one percent of the total area aflame.

Particular department attention appears to be being paid to one 36-home gated community known as Moraga Drive, according to the Times:

On Moraga Drive, a gated community of about 36 homes, one fire truck guarded every three houses, [Don] Batiste [an LAFD engineer] said. Neighbors said public figures and celebrities such as Jerry West (Who?) and Magic Johnson have or still lived on the street.

So are they trying to contain the smallest fire first, or just providing more protection to the richest portion of LA?

I ask because it occurs to me an area the size of LA is likely to have Fire districts that are operated differently based on the size of the individual districts and the buildings it contains. It certainly appears to be a bit of favoritism, but as the link above notes Murdoch's place is 13 acres, while I am assuming other residential lots are less than one acre, half an acre?

A little back of the napkin math would indicate that 36 homes on a 475 acre area would each be about 13 acres. So that would be 39 acres per firetruck yes?

edit on 7-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Most of the fires are outside of los angeles to the north.

There is a mountain range called the santa monica and hollywood mountains that bisects the city. The rich folk live up along the side of the mountains there. The mountains got all the dead dry grass and so thats where the fires start. They arent in the flats where the city mostly is. The lafd doesnt play favorites they are honest folk who treat any fire as it comes up. Poor neighborhood or wealthy.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Yes called fire season,this is what happens when you build where forest and other habitats are naturally located,been part of nature for who knows how long,one of downfalls of living in California,but the weather is great

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thiaoouba Prophecy
a reply to: carewemust

Directed Energy Weapons? I mean this is a conspiracy site right? ~Lord AK

More the case of Forestry mis-management. Rather that have frequent small burn offs off dry dead wood, as the Native Indians would do, big government wants to put out the smallest of fires. Then when the density of tree build up, fires get larger and larger, they need even more resources to fight future fires.

Native Indians would create frequent small light fires to burn off all that dead wood.

www.newsweek.com...

waterinthewest.stanford.edu...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join