It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands in North County are one paycheck away from homelessness

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: toysforadults

The workers in this country are treated like dirt.

Correction: Goyim

Take it back to /pol, will ya?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: rickymouse
Millions of people in this country do not have enough money to go two months without a paycheck. If there is a crash of the stock market and layoffs result again like in 08, we will have major problems again. We have allowed certain liberal economists to alter our economy into a very risky place. They talked conservatives into thinking it would work to have a consumer based economy, it has never worked on a large scale.

To be fair, Ricky...even your own more specialized job is disposable if there's no consumer-based economy raking it in to afford to hire you. Companies can pay you to build new digs, but it's pretty worthless to shell out for if it's just going to be a shuttered, expensive loss for them because no one can afford the product/service it would offer in the first place. That's a blatant snowball effect problem no one wants to admit to. Just ask Florida how well builders & associated contractors did around '08 (big hint-- pretty damn bad) It's not like a lawyer or a mason has guaranteed job security if they have no cash coming their way, now is it?

We need both production jobs making the things we use and the consumer based jobs. I am a Builder, I provide a consumer based need. The houses I built are consumer based needs, the materials they are made of need to be made here to stabalize the economy here. The production of the nails, the plywoods and OSB boards and such are made in factories. Those are necessary materials. services are consumer based. We need to make more refrigerators and stoves and toasters and beaters and stuff here to stabalize the economy. Stuff we need in our everyday life. The vast majority of computers and phones are even made outside of this country. Although they are not necessities, they should still be made here.
edit on 5-12-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Millions of people in this country do not have enough money to go two months without a paycheck. If there is a crash of the stock market and layoffs result again like in 08, we will have major problems again. We have allowed certain liberal economists to alter our economy into a very risky place. They talked conservatives into thinking it would work to have a consumer based economy, it has never worked on a large scale.

To be fair, Ricky...even your own more specialized job is disposable if there's no consumer-based economy raking it in to afford to hire you. Companies can pay you to build new digs, but it's pretty worthless to shell out for if it's just going to be a shuttered, expensive loss for them because no one can afford the product/service it would offer in the first place. That's a blatant snowball effect problem no one wants to admit to. Just ask Florida how well builders & associated contractors did around '08 (big hint-- pretty damn bad) It's not like a lawyer or a mason has guaranteed job security if they have no cash coming their way, now is it?

We need both production jobs making the things we use and the consumer based jobs. I am a Builder, I provide a consumer based need. The houses I built are consumer based needs, the materials they are made of need to be made here to stabalize the economy here. The production of the nails, the plywoods and OSB boards and such are made in factories. Those are necessary materials. services are consumer based. We need to make more refrigerators and stoves and toasters and beaters and stuff here to stabalize the economy. Stuff we need in our everyday life. The vast majority of computers and phones are even made outside of this country. Although they are not necessities, they should still be made here.

The problem is that globalism has opened up a labor pool that works exponentially cheaper than anyone in the US. A US worker cannot compete against someone in a third world armpit making $2.50 PER DAY.

I highly doubt you want to be paying say 50 cents a nail made in the US when you can use 1 cent nails made in China. Your competitors would use the Chinese nails and under cut your bids even if you did have some patriotic desire to use the more expensive US made nails.

Tariffs that equalize labor forces is the only way to fix things, but I fear it is too late. It would be too disruptive economically.

The US thrived after WWII because we were the ONLY economy for the most part. Most of the other countries manufacturing was destroyed or non-existent.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Millions of people in this country do not have enough money to go two months without a paycheck. If there is a crash of the stock market and layoffs result again like in 08, we will have major problems again.

I quote the relevant part of your email. Through no fault of their own are the lowest members of our populations will be the ones to suffer and to suffer physically the most. Those higher up the chain will simply not buy that Volvo they were lusting after, and, or give up the vacation house.

That is the time you will get your civil war, if the poor don't start it, then the over-burdened middle-class will have its back broken and will seek relief, drastic, but lawful changes in government.

The ones I know that are at highest risk is the middle class. They have huge mortgages and a newer unpaid car and truck sitting in their garages. They have credit card debt and their net worth is zilch. The poor or low middle class might owe some money on a car, but they work at places usually like grocery stores and gas stations. They usually rent or live in a house they inherited, usually not a great house, but there is no mortgage when they get it.

The ones that will crumble are the upper middle class and middle middle class. They seem to have been allowed to get further in debt.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Millions of people in this country do not have enough money to go two months without a paycheck. If there is a crash of the stock market and layoffs result again like in 08, we will have major problems again.

I quote the relevant part of your email. Through no fault of their own are the lowest members of our populations will be the ones to suffer and to suffer physically the most. Those higher up the chain will simply not buy that Volvo they were lusting after, and, or give up the vacation house.

That is the time you will get your civil war, if the poor don't start it, then the over-burdened middle-class will have its back broken and will seek relief, drastic, but lawful changes in government.

The ones I know that are at highest risk is the middle class. They have huge mortgages and a newer unpaid car and truck sitting in their garages. They have credit card debt and their net worth is zilch. The poor or low middle class might owe some money on a car, but they work at places usually like grocery stores and gas stations. They usually rent or live in a house they inherited, usually not a great house, but there is no mortgage when they get it.

The ones that will crumble are the upper middle class and middle middle class. They seem to have been allowed to get further in debt.

Middle class is screwed. Far too much debt. It doesn't take much to sink them. The poor will be ok because they don't really have sh*t to begin with. The middle class is too busy living on credit trying to keep up with the Jones.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

The problem is that globalism has opened up a labor pool that works exponentially cheaper than anyone in the US. A US worker cannot compete against someone in a third world armpit making $2.50 PER DAY.

I highly doubt you want to be paying say 50 cents a nail made in the US when you can use 1 cent nails made in China. Your competitors would use the Chinese nails and under cut your bids even if you did have some patriotic desire to use the more expensive US made nails.

Tariffs that equalize labor forces is the only way to fix things, but I fear it is too late. It would be too disruptive economically.

The US thrived after WWII because we were the ONLY economy for the most part. Most of the other countries manufacturing was destroyed or non-existent.

Right now, probably eighty percent of the money in our country is in the hands of the top ten percent. They make their money in importing. Look at LA and New York, their local economies are bolstered by handling and selling imports. The rich get the contracts and boost the price up and get rich, they do not even hide this. They make money on speculation of gas and oil too, lots of money, we pay the price. Oil companies do not rape us, the people shuffling money in trading make way more than the oil companies. But the oil company execs also invest in the speculation. Not really speculation, nobody loses money if they are a member of their elite club.

We could easily make more of the stuff here and support our own people. People working in factories do buy things, they make a decent wage. Back in the seventies and early eighties, there were lots of living wage jobs, not that many people needed assistance. Looky now, you can go bankrupt from an illness easily, not like when doctor visits were thirty five bucks for a half hour visit where the doctor explained what you could do to avoid having to take pills. If you were lucky to find a doctor who actually tried to help you.

We do produce some stuff, but we should be producing at least half of what Americans use, that would force companies to move back here and make stuff. If we do not buy their products, they make no money.

As far as Chinese stuff being cheaper, I was going to start importing tools and talked to the person from Taiwan who was head of the American sales. They make tools for many companies. I know what they are paying for these tools, the big companies double or triple their money on these things, then the stores mark them up thirty percent..

We could compete if they put a ten percent tax on imports, right now the importers are getting very rich. The money handlers always make the money in our society now.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Where I live, most everyone in their late 20's early 30's is discovering that the education system has failed them, and they don't have the skillset to get ahead.

Even with a decent desk job in the medical industry, I know people who work full time and can't afford to both pay rent and eat- they have to live with someone else and split the costs.

What baffles me is that there are foreclosed homes everywhere, but I'm still seeing twice as many new homes being built. Who the hell is buying them? Most people can't afford their rent, let alone save up for a down payment. The cost of rent is way out of control. I'm currently paying more to rent half a duplex 45 minutes from the city than I was paying on my mortgage on a house inside the city. Had I rented that house out, I could have gotten 2-3 times the cost of the mortgage for it.
Most anyone in that age group is only a paycheck away from being homeless because they can't earn enough to have a place to live.

it's broken- the monetary system we use has reached its conclusion, we're just waiting for the repercussions of our hundred year old failed experiment to set in.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

lower class work long hours in shipping and receiving make 11 an hour or in a factory making 12 an hour working 60 hours a week to pay for obamacare cause they can't get it free and trying to pay their mortgage and get their kids clothing for school

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

You have to find a need in society and fill it. You'll be paid for doing so.

Corporations want slaves. You'll be paid just enough to stay on the treadmill...like a damn hamster.

When I heard General Motors exeuctives discussing how to make retirees die sooner, to reduce reduce medical costs, I started to see how corporations really think.

edit on 12/5/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

The vast majority of computers and phones are even made outside of this country. Although they are not necessities, they should still be made here.

In the not too distant future, everything will be made in the USA once again.

However, the these things will be made by machines, robots, automated processes, not people.

So, the problem of jobs will still remain.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

originally posted by: EA006

Correction: Goyim

Take it back to /pol, will ya?

Nope

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

This is what Mill's are dealing with.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saiker
a reply to: EA006

The wonderful thing about freedom is you do have a choice. If they don't pay enough don't take the job. Want government to force them to pay better expect companies to only hire who they can afford.

1000 employees at 20$ an hour or 750 at 30$ an hour. That's saying if the 750 were able to output the same as 1000 workers.

They can afford it.
They just rip the piss out the profits meaning your wage is crap.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Maybe a lot of it is due to the fact that Obama gave away Americas money (trillions) to the enemy which includes the banking industry. That money could have been used to generate jobs instead of division.a reply to: toysforadults

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Are you going to make the fast food you buy? handle your own trash disposal? Go and pick a package up that you bought out of state? There is a reason that we have income classes that go all the way back to the 80/20 rule. You cant have one without the other. Many people work for others while a couple get rich.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This is the exact reason why I am baffled that people are brainwashed in thinking unions are bad.

Over paid? Nah, everyone is just under paid. Unions keep up with the rising inflation and cost of living increases. Unions get the blame and everyone keeps complaining they aren't making enough.

Don't worry, the government and corporations have your best interests in order and will take care of you, unions are not needed anymore( extreme sarcasm).

As stated it is the free trade and trade agreements with other countries. We need to focus on domestic priorities first.
edit on 6-12-2017 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Sam Walton died and country went to hell, well it went to China as it were.

Well someone had to mention unions, the ones that corporate directors and shareholders used as the original reason to offshore manufacturing due silly-ass workrules, wanton strikes and lackadaisical work ethics - yup those unions I remember very well from sixties and seventies. Those unions were certainly not all of the problem but they played their part in the problem.

Never seen such negotiations put so many out of work, dips talked themselves right out of work by making employer an enemy instead of seeking symbolic relationship.

Shareholders return regardless the consequences on mainstreet played a large part also. Again screw the consequences.

Automation will need addressing also and may need taxing on job displacement numbers as its a direct existential danger to middle and lower income jobs.

But the number one problem is the average American who gives thought only to saving a few pennies on a tee shirt or latest electronic pacifier completely in disregard of fellow citizens lot in life.

I don't think any that is going to change volutarily so yup bring on tariffs, excise taxes and import duties, bring em hard till it hurts.

It's only way I see forward to have self sustaining economy that supports all.

As it is my children are at risk due greed of consumers, corporations, shareholders and government averice.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Right now, probably eighty percent of the money in our country is in the hands of the top ten percent. They make their money in importing. Look at LA and New York, their local economies are bolstered by handling and selling imports. The rich get the contracts and boost the price up and get rich, they do not even hide this. They make money on speculation of gas and oil too, lots of money, we pay the price. Oil companies do not rape us, the people shuffling money in trading make way more than the oil companies. But the oil company execs also invest in the speculation. Not really speculation, nobody loses money if they are a member of their elite club.

We could easily make more of the stuff here and support our own people. People working in factories do buy things, they make a decent wage. Back in the seventies and early eighties, there were lots of living wage jobs, not that many people needed assistance. Looky now, you can go bankrupt from an illness easily, not like when doctor visits were thirty five bucks for a half hour visit where the doctor explained what you could do to avoid having to take pills. If you were lucky to find a doctor who actually tried to help you.

We do produce some stuff, but we should be producing at least half of what Americans use, that would force companies to move back here and make stuff. If we do not buy their products, they make no money.

As far as Chinese stuff being cheaper, I was going to start importing tools and talked to the person from Taiwan who was head of the American sales. They make tools for many companies. I know what they are paying for these tools, the big companies double or triple their money on these things, then the stores mark them up thirty percent..

We could compete if they put a ten percent tax on imports, right now the importers are getting very rich. The money handlers always make the money in our society now.

I used to believe it was the lack of production jobs in the US that contributed to 'poordom' in the US. But I have seen with mine own eyes it's mostly lack of motivation/willpower to do a job and keep a job. It's worse now than ever. People do NOT want to work.

If the OP would like, do a search on the phrase "americans 1 paycheck away from homelessness" and add a year of choice at the end of the quote like say...1995. Year after year that same phrase is touted at the fragility of american wallets despite the ups and downs of the economy.

If people really want jobs, there are jobs out there. I live in central US, jobs all over the place. Just came back from OR/WA, jobs all over the place. No jobs in your area????? Relocate to where there are jobs.

edit on 6-12-2017 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

You are right about that. People want a job but do not want to work. They want a paycheck and will make it so that the employer does not make money off of them. They do not realize what it costs an employer to keep them working. There is workman's comp, unemployment insurance, half of social security and medicare. Also a percentage of the liability insurance is based off of money that the worker gets, it is based off of total income, some of which is employee income. You have to supply safety equipment, training, and even have to pay them if there is no income being derived off their work for a while.

They do not teach this in school, they should inform everyone of the costs of doing business. The employees see money coming in then only their wages coming out. They can't comprehend how much it costs to employ them. So they fu** the dog and the employer cannot afford to give them an increase even if he wants to. The new guy thinks he is worth just as much as someone who has been there a long time and knows the business. I do not know where this attitude comes from, I know it existed forty years ago but today it seems worse, employees was more than they are worth now, a living wage at McDonalds. Something is wrong with our society. Even poor people are getting entitled.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Well someone had to mention unions, the ones that corporate directors and shareholders used as the original reason to offshore manufacturing due silly-ass workrules, wanton strikes and lackadaisical work ethics - yup those unions I remember very well from sixties and seventies. Those unions were certainly not all of the problem but they played their part in the problem. 

Well, unions haven't been a pivotal part of manufacturing jobs for quite some time now. Corporations are still shutting down domestic operations and moving abroad despite paying their employees sub standard wages.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join