It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House expected to take up concealed carry reciprocity bill

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Totally understandable ArMaP

Given the vast differences from state to state, it is hard to keep track of the different laws and the terminology used. Especially since several "may issue" states still give citizens a very hard time, forcing them to establish a "need" to exercise a Constitutionally protected right - beyond the requisite "it is my right, and I feel like exercising it." They further hassle citizens from other states by refusing to recognize their permits, or Constitutional carry status.

We don't have any "no issue" states since that would be unconstitutional (although they tried it for awhile, took years for supreme court to reverse it). "may issue" means the government gets to decide, while "shall issue" takes their option away provided you meet minimum qualifications (ie: no domestics, no illegal drugs, no felonies, no dishonorable discharges, never adjudicated mentally unstable or involuntarily committed, etc)

In practice, some states are de jure "no issue" still because they do not freely, equally and fairly allow all people to exercise their Constitutional rights.

edit on 12/5/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

Totally understandable ArMaP

Given the vast differences from state to state, it is hard to keep track of the different laws and the terminology used.

Not only that but it's not like you can expect any article he reads on the subject to be informative. Most of the anti-gun media hacks doing the reporting don't know a damn thing about the subject. They feel free to spread their uninformed opinion though.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I just got a Twitter notification that the bill passed in the House. Now we need the Senate to wise up, the bill is still stuck in commmittee over there.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

There is another element to this also. Here in Alaska and in some others I think, we don't need a permit to carry a concealed weapon or carry one concealed in a vehicle. To carry in other States though, we still have to get a permit so there is reciprocity, so a provision is made for that. It's all very confusing.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
There is another element to this also. Here in Alaska and in some others I think, we don't need a permit to carry a concealed weapon or carry one concealed in a vehicle. To carry in other States though, we still have to get a permit so there is reciprocity, so a provision is made for that. It's all very confusing.

That was an aspect I was thinking of yesterday. For states with no permits you would need to obtain a permit to travel to other states. Whose permit do you get? From what I understand Utah is relatively easy.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I thought the bill stated that for states that don't require a permit for concealed carry, other States have to recognize your right and your ID from your home state basically serves as your carry permit?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

That was an aspect I was thinking of yesterday. For states with no permits you would need to obtain a permit to travel to other states. Whose permit do you get? From what I understand Utah is relatively easy.

Most of the states that don't require a permit still have a process to issue you one if you want. Alaska does as I recall.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Here's from the summary on congress.gov:

A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in, his or her state of residence.

The key part is (3). You either have to have a valid concealed carry permit issued by your state, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in your state of residence.

The way that reads, to me, if you're from Alaska or one of the other Constitutional Carry states, as long as you have photo ID from your state and you're not a prohibited possessor, you're good.
edit on 6 12 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

Edit: You still have to comply with concealed carry laws in the state you're visiting though. For example, in Alaska, you can carry in a bar, as long as you don't drink. If you visit a state that outlaws concealed carry in bars altogether, you'd have to obey that law. So you're still gonna have to do some research before you travel to make sure you know the local laws about where you're allowed to carry (bars, schools, etc) and whether you have a duty to inform if you're stopped by police.
edit on 6 12 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Then why cannot some states refuse your right to free speech? Yet some, CA, can refuse your right to open carry and conceal carry effectively stomping on your 2nd amendment right to keep AND bear arms. Constitutional rights shouldn't stop at a states border.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
There was a hit piece in our newspaper by some law enforcement government stooge trying to use scare tactics and other nonsense trying to convince the reader that Florida is losing rights and going to become less safe. I will try to find it online to show the kind of nonsense being peddled to try and stop this. Otherwise I will just scan it tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Looks like this passed!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

On to the Senate

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join