It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Roman city lost for centuries below the sea FOUND perfectly intact

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Ariel photos from the 1940's discovered the site, but it is unclear (in the story) how much looting has gone on. This is a very unique diving site, it does not look very deep.

This little town was an ancient resort for the super rich, and it was lost when volcanic activity caused the coast line to retreat.

The town in Naples was the resort of choice for the Roman super-rich and became notorious for its sprawling mansions.

It was a place synonymous with luxury and wickedness, historians claim – a wine-soaked party town.

But as the centuries passed, much of it was lost to the sea as volcanic activity caused the coastline to retreat 400m inland.
www.dailystar.co.uk...

Lots of history, the city was considered to be very important and there are recorded witnesses to the Pompeii volcanic eruption from this city.

“It was considered one of the most important Roman cities for centuries.

“Pliny the Younger used to live here and from here, across the gulf, he witnessed and described the 79 AD eruption of Mount Vesuvius that destroyed Pompeii and Herculaneum.”

Lots of artifacts are still down there. I for one ans surprised. It isn't a very deep dive.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Maybe if you check NHK Japan, they may have something on it.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I would LOVE to take a dive there, looks like i know my next trip!

Interestingly enough, Vesuvius erupted on my birthday, that might explain some things haha

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Holy bleep, those mosaics! Wow! They're really something, and to have held up perfectly for all these centuries.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I wonder what caused it to be below ocean's surface? Major natural disaster?

Awesome find! S&F

Edit: nvm...volcanic activity and water displacement theory...interesting....
edit on 4-12-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

The Romans knew flooring, very nice.

I am surprised there is anything left.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Tho i have to wonder why the mosaics all have penguin faces on them.....

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The Romans made cement from regular cement plus the ash from previous volcanic eruptions. That formula made the cement literally blastproof. A layer of cement would be used as a base for those mosaics, so they would last a lifetime.

To think that they built their luxury villas on top of a magma chamber that had forced the seabed out of the ocean, and then sunk back after the massive eruption.

Other villas were buried by dozens of feet of ash, which compacted and became concrete. There was no way in those days for the original owners to dig through all those layers. There was evidence that some owners had been frantic in their efforts to recover their property. Some places had scratchmarks in the ash.

Imagine being forced to evacuate, return and find your home had disappeared under a wasteland of volcanic ash. You could vaguely remember where your home was from how far you had to walk and surrounding landmarks. But everything is now 10 meters underground and unreachable.

Thousands of years laters, archeologists are digging through the ash, when they suddenly "fall through" the roof of a villa, and discover an entire home buried underground, along with scrolls made using metallic ink.

www.theguardian.com...

www.extremetech.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Saw a documentary about this on the BBC a month or two ago. Fascinating. They were trying to identify exactly which villa was Plinys.

And yes, it's in very shallow water, just off the modern Harbour.

A lot of the statues had been stolen, but there were still a few there.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

WOW... Born on the day Vesuvius erupted? That would make you 1,937 - 38 years old? I am eager for your longevity secrets!

Oh, and the old junk in the bay is cool, too.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Sounds like some pretty sinister things went on there. For anybody who has an hour or so.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I'll have to find some extra time!

Thanks Seasonal for this thread! I saw the story this morning and didn't have time to write anything up. Love this stuff!

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood

Tho i have to wonder why the mosaics all have penguin faces on them.....

Hahahahaha I cannot un-see that now! Maybe the UFO's from the hole to hollow earth in Antarctica brought them!

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
a reply to: SailorJerry

WOW... Born on the day Vesuvius erupted? That would make you 1,937 - 38 years old? I am eager for your longevity secrets!

Oh, and the old junk in the bay is cool, too.

Birthday is anniversary of the day on which a person was born. You are thinking birthdate.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Maybe thats why they all look so angry....

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Who knows what sort of probing went on in transit..?

On topic: the scrolls link is very interesting, too. Hadn't seen that before.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Perhaps, but back to the topic..

I'm actually trying to find out what thats supposed to represent to them.....it could just be a cool design but it sure as hell resembles somethings face or some sort of star representation.
edit on 4-12-2017 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

A very small face. Or is it a large head?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Actually, i'm thinking its a representation of an otter....the facial features and head would fit as well as the location.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

No whiskers. Whiskers are an otter's best feature. And their faces aren't that small.

seaotters.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join