It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ouch...media accountability...ABC is about to feel it...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

So in your world no media will ever report anything.

If they do, and it turns out the info or opinion ends up being imcorrect, anyone invested in the stock market can sue the media.

Look I dislike the msm as much as anyone, but this suggestion is unbievably dangerous and flat out unworkable.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: TinfoilTP Umm WHAT, that is not even on topic. Just some crap you like to say to derail threads. Go away

Causing a stock market loss to investors because of their #resistance to Trump is on topic, they totally failed and will now pay the price.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

If they do, and it turns out the info or opinion ends up being imcorrect, anyone invested in the stock market can sue the media.

Look I dislike the msm as much as anyone, but this suggestion is unbievably dangerous and flat out unworkable.

Don't mischaracterize my comments, Grambler.

If ABC News has unconfirmed & unvetted reports they can report them AS SUCH. But selling false news as fact when it's news that is bound to have a profound effect on the stock market is reckless behavior.

They should be held accountable.

Unless you think it's ok for ABC News to falsely report you are a serial child rapist and then someone torches your house before they finally admit, "oops, wrong Grambler."

edit on 12/3/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

If ABC News has unconfirmed & unvetted reports they can report them AS SUCH. But selling false news as fact when it's news that is bound to have a profound effect on the stock market is reckless behavior.

Unless you think it's ok for ABC News to falsely report you are a serial child rapist and then someone torches your house before they finally admit, "oops, wrong Grambler."

I could sue them for libel against me.

You could not sue them because the stocks you invested in went down based on their false story.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I could sue them for libel against me.

You could not sue them because the stocks you invested in went down based on their false story.

I think you might be able to make a case for fraud.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP And what price is that? They let a false story make headlines. Then they put him on a one month leave and made a public statement about the incident. Would you rather the government be allowed to slap fines and or having the ability to can the network from television?

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
News casters sit in a closed set studio reading TelePrompTer lines to camera lenses, they have no idea the reaction of the population to their lies. They speak in a vacuum.

Compare that to when Trump called CNN "Fake News", at a press conference, on live TV. Or when audiences at debates reacted to questions asked by representatives of the "Press".

They should do more live press conferences. Notice they haven't, of late?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

In reality, all investments are a gamble. Choices are made to sell or buy based on personal perspectives. Yes, the news needs to be reliable but responsibility ultimately falls on individuals using due diligence. The one thing that has become clear in the past couple of years to many is that one cannot trust anonymous sources. That is like a stranger giving you a stock tip on the bus! You would take note but verify it!

I definitely do not disagree. But this source was not unknown to ABC News. They are responsible for not only the false report...but making it more dramatic and believable-- especially with Joy Behar breaking news on the View, like she did. They really, really sold it without verifying it.

And I also don't think anyone in a position to sway consumer confidence should be able to and then say, "oops" without any real oversight when they influence the market through fraud.

I really do wonder if anyone at ABC made money betting against the market.

Joy Behar on the view? She is not media...she is entertainment! Any investor taking stock tips from her is simply stupid! Seriously, I agree media needs to be more responsible in reporting accurate NEWS un biasedly.

Law suits will not do this. Legislative action possibly could correct...but that would be an even more dangerous road inhibiting freedom of the press and free speech.

The only option is the public becoming wiser and the media earning our trust back. It may seem too logical...but even some children only learn what HOT is only after suffering a burn.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

She's on ABC. That was actually my point, not that she's a journalist. The network went full on with the story, backing it for hours. This can't be blamed on Brian Ross, alone.

But, I do agree that the major media should not be given the trust they demand and need to stop fraudulently claiming they're reliable.
edit on 12/3/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

This was a full court press until they realized the ball they were holding was deflated, then they tried dropping it like a hot potato and running away as far and as fast from it as they could.

Ross got his humble pie, what about everyone else in the chain?
edit on 3-12-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

a reply to: TinfoilTP And what price is that? They let a false story make headlines. Then they put him on a one month leave and made a public statement about the incident. Would you rather the government be allowed to slap fines and or having the ability to can the network from television?

They will be sued.

When the Fake News has to start paying for their deceptions, then they will start to monitor themselves. The parent corporations have bottom lines.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

News casters sit in a closed set studio reading TelePrompTer lines to camera lenses, they have no idea the reaction of the population to their lies. They speak in a vacuum.

Yeah no doubt. That puts the heat on corp, not the talking head.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP While I agree with that somewhat it does inflict on the freedom of expression/speech. As DBcowboy nicely put it. When that starts to happen then we open the door for state media through the use of fear. Then even us here on ATS would be fear full of posting due to that fact. Then we would rely on the "truth" to come but would most likely be influenced and skewed through fear of being sued. I guess I have a question to ask you. How could what you propose get implantation without infringing on our right to free speech?

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I hope someone takes them to task!

They need a good lesson and the only place they will
ever feel it is the pocketbook.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe Well I disagree. FOX has done the same thing in regards to false reports. Maybe not resulting in loss of money in the markets but I am sure I could find evidence of that but I am mobile. If this media accountability was a thing all major MSM would cease to exist.

Where's the problem in that again?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: essentialtremors Well actually nothing! As long as it not a imposed thing by the government. If all MSM where to drop off the television and force people to educate themselves on matters without the government forcing that then hell ya. But that won't happen.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Because the mainstream media wants to control the news content by inserting their own biased messages.

edit on 3-12-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I think that Trump's tweet was aimed more for the super rich. ABC would likely settle most large cases such as those.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Did anybody suggest suing a few years back when a rumour started on Twitter that Steve Jobs had died (obviously before he actually did) and cratered Apple stock? Stocks work on rumour, speculation and exploitation of stupidity. Lose money over a mistaken news report? Too bad, should've put it in a secure account instead of gambling.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Made mistakes? Or fed us propaganda?

You need proof before you make such accusations. With propaganda, the media doesn't admit to inaccurate reporting even after given undeniable proof to the contrary. (Something Trump has done over and over again.)

Keep on pushing the dangerous idea and the constant brainwashing by our president that our free press is illegitimate...

We find ourselves in the unfortuate scenario where we are fighting Constitutional assaults on all fronts. Yet if our right to a free and independent press is infringed, all other rights fall. Our ability to be informed and the free flow of information, regardless of how damaging it is to elected officials, is one of the most essential safeguards to our liberty. The fight for a free press is one that we absolutely cannot afford to lose.

The Founders on the Necessity of a Free Press

...Or would you rather prefer to have a press controlled exclusively by our president? That would be a clear path toward dictatorship.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join