It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ouch...media accountability...ABC is about to feel it...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
ABC should lose credibility, but they should not be held legally accountable for how players in the market decide to react.

If you lost money, just stop watching ABC or any of the networks that spread their lies.

I think they should be held to both. Publishing damaging falsehoods should not get a free speech pass. If it did, the government could make any horrible false claim about a citizen and destroy them...then later just say 'sorry,' with no accountability.

Not only should ABC be held accountable, but people should also stop relying on them.

They tout their reliability as a news source so they have a duty to be reliable.

edit on 12/3/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

But Brian Ross is not reliable and has proven himself to be a fake news purveyor on several occasions.

Apparently the people who are in charge of all the stock portfolios are easily manipulated and somewhat naive.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Should we be held accountable as well?

No, because we aren't "professional" journalists and our platform is a conspiracy forum. The networks and papers on the other hand are supposedly the trusted sources when it comes to news and truth. I long ago gave up on MSM and now I find out they can f-up my 401K with a single report by someone with an agenda. who really has the power in our country?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

But Brian Ross is not reliable and has proven himself to be a fake news purveyor on several occasions.

Apparently the people who are in charge of all the stock portfolios are easily manipulated and somewhat naive.

Naive or not, if the stock market was influenced and people lost millions because ABC presented false information and claimed it was true, then that is arguably fraud.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The media should be accountable and responsible for what it reports.

Perhaps if we held the media to ANY form of accountability, the media might start providing facts.

On the other hand, free expression.

Do we punish media for saying something that isn't true? We, as members, publish information all the time that is unsubstantiated and often proven false.

Should we be held accountable as well?

Agreed. Media is and should be held to a higher standard as that is their profession. Doctors get sued all the time for screwing up.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: carewemust

Naive or not, if the stock market was influenced and people lost millions because ABC presented false information and claimed it was true, then that is arguably fraud.

What if tax reform ultimately crashes and burns, after the stock market has ran itself up thousands of points in anticipation of its implementation?

Do Americans who have stock band together and file a 3 trillion dollar lawsuit against the Congress, after stocks lose 30% of their value overnight?
edit on 12/3/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: DanDanDat No it is not a strange argument. If I replaced the word FOX with MSNBC, CNN, ABC would you say the same thing you just did?

Yes I would say the same thing. How does the proliferation of harmful reporting exontaret the bad actors?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

ABC should lose credibility, but they should not be held legally accountable for how players in the market decide to react.

If you lost money, just stop watching ABC or any of the networks that spread their lies.

I think they should be held to both. Publishing damaging falsehoods should not get a free speech pass. If it did, the government could make any horrible false claim about a citizen and destroy them...then later just say 'sorry,' with no accountability.

Not only should ABC be held accountable, but people should also stop relying on them.

They tout their reliability as a news source so they have a duty to be reliable.

Ok but where do we draw the line?

Let's say my roofer was so distraught about the fake ABC news that he didn't finish my roof Friday.

Now it rained, and cost me 3000 in damage to my property.

Can I sue ABC for that?

The point is ABC can not be held responsible for what people do financially based on their news, rather it be real or fake.

Allowing people to sue them for stock market losses would open the door to millions of litigation against any news source in any side that anyone could claim would cost them money.
edit on 3-12-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat Or just be smart and do your own research. It has been well known that no news agency can be trusted.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

No business is immune to making mistakes, this includes the media. Both the liberal and the conservative leaning media have made mistakes in their reporting. The important thing is they need to call out their mistakes and make a public correction of their mistakes.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Ok but where do we draw the line?

Let's say my roofer was so distraught about the fake ABC news that he didn't finish my roof Friday.

Now it rained, and cost me 3000 in damage to my property.

Can I sue ABC for that?

The point is ABC can not be held responsible for what people do financially based on their news, rather it be real or fake.

Allowing people to sue them for stock market losses would open the door to millions of litigation against any news source in any side that anyone could claim would cost them money.

If roofers reported to work based on consumer confidence in the President (and by extension the economy), then I think you would have a case.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Made mistakes? Or fed us propaganda?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Very good analogy! Obviously, the roofer would be at fault and liable. The roofer could try and sue the media...but it was his bias perspective of that news info that created the damaging situation. Being the man who pulled the trigger so to speak...he is liable to be sued for damages and not the gun/bullet media.

If a person pulled the trigger themselves and harmed no one else...it was simple suicide.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

But, the stock market is driven by consumer confidence in the economy. Consumer Confidence: A Killer Statistic

A roofer showing up to work is not.

I don't see how the analogy fits. We didn't hear about a significant number of roofers not showing up for work because of ABC News' incorrect reporting. What we heard is that the stock market took a dive because consumer confidence fell in the wake of that story.

Again, if the roofer in Grambler's hypothetical situation agreed to report to work (or not) based on consumer confidence, then he might actually have a case.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The media should be held accountable..... that the news they publish is accurate. It should be a crime for them to lie to the public..... as it should be a crime for an elected official to lie to the American people..... If they drag us into a court and we lie to them, we goto jail..... it should go both ways

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran You make a somewhat good point. The only problem is that we the people are not in court and the MSM is not a witness or a defendant/accuser. People should be smart and sift through the bs. Do some research and come to your opinion. And in a way they are held accountable by people losing trust and viewer ratings go down.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

In reality, all investments are a gamble. Choices are made to sell or buy based on personal perspectives. Yes, the news needs to be reliable but responsibility ultimately falls on individuals using due diligence. The one thing that has become clear in the past couple of years to many is that one cannot trust anonymous sources. That is like a stranger giving you a stock tip on the bus! You would take note but verify it!

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Everytime the #resistance goes into action, Trump wins.

He doesn't even have to try, they implode on their own.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP Umm WHAT, that is not even on topic. Just some crap you like to say to derail threads. Go away

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

In reality, all investments are a gamble. Choices are made to sell or buy based on personal perspectives. Yes, the news needs to be reliable but responsibility ultimately falls on individuals using due diligence. The one thing that has become clear in the past couple of years to many is that one cannot trust anonymous sources. That is like a stranger giving you a stock tip on the bus! You would take note but verify it!

I definitely do not disagree. But this source was not unknown to ABC News. They are responsible for not only the false report...but making it more dramatic and believable-- especially with Joy Behar breaking news on the View, like she did. They really, really sold it without verifying it.

And I also don't think anyone in a position to sway consumer confidence should be able to and then say, "oops" without any real oversight when they influence the market through fraud.

I really do wonder if anyone at ABC made money betting against the market.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join