It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surrender Your Guns, Police Tell Hawaiian Medical Marijuana Patients

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The letters, signed by Honolulu Police Chief Susan Ballard, inform patients that they have 30 days upon receipt of the letter to transfer ownership or turn in their firearms and ammunition to the Honolulu Police.
The clash between state marijuana laws and federal firearms law—which prohibits all cannabis patients and consumers from purchasing firearms—is a growing point of legal contention in the 29 states with medical marijuana laws.
The Honolulu letters, however, may represent the first time a law enforcement agency has proactively sought out state-registered medical marijuana patients and ordered them to surrender their guns.

Surrender Your Guns, Police Tell Hawaiian Medical Marijuana Patients

Some may disagree with me, but this Federal law needs to be changed or re-written. Why? 1) More and more states are legalizing recreational marijuana use 2) How many gun owners consume alcohol recreationally? How many gun owners are alcoholics? Oh, I get it, marijuana use is more addictive and dangerous. I'm sure it's not because tobacco and alcohol lobbyists pay big bucks to keep their "addictive" products from being on the Fed "prohibit" list. I highly doubt that "all" gun owners refrain from drinking a few alcoholic beverages, before going to the range or hunting. Alcohol use impairs judgement too, right?

Federal law clearly prohibits anyone who consumes cannabis—for any reason, and regardless of state legality—from purchasing a firearm. On the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) Form 1140-0020, which must be completed by firearm purchasers, applicants are asked if they are “an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.”

“It may be argued that medical marijuana users are less likely to commit violent crimes, as they often suffer from debilitating illnesses, for which marijuana may be an effective palliative,” the federal ruling stated. “But those hypotheses are not sufficient to overcome Congress’s reasonable conclusion that the use of such drugs raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated.”

www.leafly.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
"Funny thing, last week some Howlies robbed my shack and stole my guns and stamp collection"

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Turn them in or else what?

Come and get em!

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I would tell them to pound sand,the 2nd amendment guarantees my right to own firearms.
If they don't like that they are welcome to take them bullet first.
edit on 29-11-2017 by VashTheStampede because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
"No one is trying to take away your guns".

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
So how did the Police get the exact names of "people" ?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Medical card list, grower list?

-More like the here come arrest me target list.

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Where is the legality in this?

Let me get this straight:

Hawaii wanted to circumvent the federal government due to it's scheduling of marijuana, and then legalize the recreational use of marijuana, only to turn around and give legitimacy to the federal scheduling of marijuana by using it to go after people who are DOING NOTHING ILLEGAL UNDER STATE LAW, and exercising their rights under the Constitution of the United States AND Section 17 of the Hawaii constitution, which lifts the text of the second amendment verbatim.

Liberals.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Now I'm waiting for the prozac in '95 depression list from ACA'ing our way around HIPPA privacy because we love you and that's the reason we wanted to take over health care, seriously right removal love letters.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Sounds like a lone wolf police chief that doesn't like the state law, and using the laws the Feds are even relaxing and getting back to reality on.

Feds need to legalize and restore any rights from non minor-related charges taken with this plant.

Or we need to form a citizen grand jury and arrest unconstitutional leaders/lawmakers.

It seems their only job IS circumventing the constitution these days.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'll see Your HIPPA and raise You an end'round the 4th Amendment...

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Any genuine confirmation the letter is real ?

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

When the government pushes gun confiscation, EVERYONE should sit up and take notice - forget the reason(s), they're BS hidden behind meaningless laws - laws designed to benefit the 'war on drugs' at the detriment of average Joe.

The US Constitutions' 2nd Amendment trumps any such ridiculous laws requiring citizens to give up guns because of legally prescribed medical treatment

What about the very legal and way-more-dangerous psychotropics running through the veins of millions - some of whom are also gun owners?

This is government gun confiscation by any means at our disposal 101.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Stoners don't kill people, its the last thing on their mind.

Gun grabbers , tell the sheriff to do the same for alcohol.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Any genuine confirmation the letter is real ?

Honolulu Star Advertiser

The Honolulu Police Department has told legal marijuana users who own guns that they must turn in their weapons within 30 days.

In a letter to about 30 medical marijuana card holders on Oahu, the police said “you have 30 days upon receipt of this letter to voluntarily surrender your firearms.”

Police have been sending the letters since at least January.

It's actually old news.
edit on 11/29/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Looks "genuine" to me.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I added another link to a newspaper there. I remember reading about this some time ago and I think it's not just in Hawaii.
edit on 11/29/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I know, right??

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

there is none.

Is it appropriate for some one to tell the Honolulu Police to go to the beach and pound sand?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Marxist douche-bags.

Give with one hand, take with the other.

Anti-freedom dirt-bags.

*grumble grumble curse curse*

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join