It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NK now has the ability to couse a kessler effect.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
North Korea's recent missile test went higher than any other test they have ever done. While everyone is focused on the very real threat that the NK military can now reach pretty much every major city in the world, There is another real threat from this we are overlooking.

Kessler syndrome
The Kessler syndrome (also called the Kessler effect, collisional cascading or ablation cascade), proposed by the NASA scientist Donald J. Kessler in 1978, is a scenario in which the density of objects in low Earth orbit (LEO) is high enough that collisions between objects could cause a cascade—each collision generating space debris that increases the likelihood of further collisions.

The question you should now be asking yourselves is this, how much space debris is up there?

Thankfully some people with some knowledge are talking about what can be done about all this, but will they be to late?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

What about the under rated false threat effect?

Seeing as they have a low quantity of missiles, we'd be able to shoot down more than they can produce.

They also have a darkness effect, it's where the vast majority of their country doesn't have power....or the hunger effect.

The problem is, when you villainize the country the innocent citizens are at risk. They could easily be defined as prisoners.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Shoot the missiles where? In space? More space junk?

edit on 11/29/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

So which part of the op do you find false?

Do you believe that the kessler effect is real?
Do you believe that NK fired a missile high enough to start it?

What if they start it by accident? Do they know where ALL of the space debris is located now that they will be shooting stuff up there?

edit on 29-11-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   

The thing is, it's no easier to hit a satellite intentionally than it is to hit an ICBM. Harder, maybe. They are moving faster.

I suppose they could accidentally cause problems, but the odds are pretty low.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

So which part of the op do you find false?

Do you believe that the kessler effect is real?
Do you believe that NK fired a missile high enough to start it?

What if they start it by accident? Do they know where ALL of the space debris is located now that they will be shooting stuff up there?

So you're saying that NK could detonate a nuclear warhead a couple hundred miles up, which would cause an increasing number of collisions, after frying quite a few satellite electronics immediately after the explosion?

North Korea would probably have better success with this, than attempting the Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) explosion over the U.S..

If our intelligence and military are on the ball, they should destroy the next missile before its launched. But I said the same thing before yesterday's launch. I wonder why we don't do this?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Not impossible though.
And just think , yesterday we didn't know they had the level of tech that see they have today.
people talk about Nk shooting missiles at US mainland or putting one above us in LEO and using an emp on us.

I don't know but maybe creating a kessler effect would be an easier route for them. They only (using some complicated math) have to aim straight up and no one is expecting it. Even the chance to take out the US satellite grid would be tempting to our enemies.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Phage is correct when he says it's very hard to hit space junk on purpose but yeah a nuke or two going off up there would move around a ton of debris.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Straight up. Right. At exactly the right instant to hit something that's going by at 17,000 mph. Takes more than math, it takes a really fancy rocket that accelerates at exactly the right rate.

But it can be done. If you're good. And lucky.
www.airspacemag.com...

Even the chance to take out the US satellite grid would be tempting to our enemies.

Space junk is everybody's business.

It doesn't seem like a very practical approach, actually and would encourage retaliation. I don't really think North Korea wants that.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   

You do know they put a satellite in orbit nearly 2 years ago right?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   

a reply to: carewemust

Phage is correct when he says it's very hard to hit space junk on purpose but yeah a nuke or two going off up there would move around a ton of debris.

Do you have any idea what aspects of our lives are dependent upon satellites? I have no clue. Hopefully not the internet.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Ah. A fragmentation device. Random vandalism. Space terrorism.
Got it. To what end?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

You do know they put a satellite in orbit nearly 2 years ago right?

Yes I do. Wonder why they did that? Lot of reasons I'm sure but one reason could be to map space debris.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   

right lol It wouldn't even have to be a nuke. Just a bunch of metal randomly flung around.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Debris in that particular orbit. I guess. Using what? Radar? We might notice that.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   

It doesn't seem like a very practical approach, actually and would encourage retaliation. I don't really think North Korea wants that.

Just speculation. I do think my theory has more merit than the emp fears people have.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I would actually give the EMP thing a slight edge, on very low probabilities.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Well notice anything they do, no mater what it is. That hasn't stopped them much yet.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Just speculation. I do think my theory has more merit than the emp fears people have.

I said that a few minutes ago. But the problem with all of these theories, is that Kim Jong is not going to be crowned as ruler of the world, simply because he explodes a nuke somewhere on Earth or in the skies above. He will be obliterated. So what does he want? What's his end game?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

You've had a good idea there and, thankfully, it looks too unpredictable as a strategy.

NK would have no way of disrupting US satellites whilst leaving China's alone. It would also be classed as 'first strike' which would leave them without China's protection. Trump would get to retaliate in clear conscience with international support.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join