It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raytheon protests JSTARS radar selection

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Raytheon has announced that they are protesting the Air Force selection of the Northrop Grumman radar for the upcoming JSTARS recapitalization. The Air Force hasn't officially announced the selection, but according to the protest the selection was made earlier this month.

The U.S. Air Force has chosen Northrop Grumman’s wide-area surveillance radar for its future J-Stars platform over Raytheon’s “Archimedes” sensor.
The source-selection decision is now the subject of a bid protest by Raytheon, which filed a complaint with the Government Accountability Office on Nov. 20.

The Air Force has not made any announcement and has yet to confirm the pick, but sources say the decision was made earlier this month in Northrop’s favor.

m.aviationweek.com...-964821

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The JSTARS seem to be all over the news channels lately. Is there a particular reason for that? I ask as a person with familial connections to the program.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

It's a potentially $60+B program that's going between happening and possibly not happening.
edit on 11/28/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Heard any rumors what the field prefers?

iow are there major operational or tactical differences between both systems?

Edit: Or is this just a "build to specification" bid?

edit on 28-11-2017 by EartOccupant because: Got jammed

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

They were both pretty damn nice radars. From the little that's been released, the Northrop radar did sound like it was at least slightly better. They were talking about being able to track small groups of people, AR long range.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Ok.

I guess it makes sense that it comes around to size/resolution/distance (power)

Is radar still the leading tech for this? I could imagine Lidar based systems take over. More focused beams.
Do they still need line of sight? Or are they able to reflect on the "sky" jet?

( Just thinking aloud, feel free to tell me i should stop the chocurum )

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I mean, with it being a NG project from the get go, why not keep it NG? Especially if their radar system is slightly better?

Edit to add: I know that's not how government contracts work.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Excallibacca because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The existing JSTARS is a Northrop program, and has been mismanaged and poorly run, at least the upkeep portion of the program.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

LIDAR is, like anything laser based, range and weather limited. Radar is more reliable and more mature technology.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Thank you for the outside perpective. My father was part of the development and another friend was (maybe still is, we're out of touch) mechanic for the JSTARS.

I never would have known anything was not peachy keen.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

A couple years ago they removed pretty much all of the management at the Depot, which was Northrop run. One aircraft suffered major water damage inside the radar fairing after they failed to remove the drain plugs that allowed condensation and water to drain. They had to ground and inspect every aircraft.

Another aircraft, probably close to 10 years ago now was written off because of the Depot. They were refueling over the Middle East, just after takeoff, there was a loud bang, and vibration so they dropped off the boom. Everything seemed ok, so they plugged again and the boomer said they were pouring fuel out of the wing, and there was a visible hole in the to of the wing. The Depot had left the plugs in the fuel tank and it over pressured when on the boom. Normally that ends up with the wing blowing apart.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Dang it, man. My dad was a software guy, THE software guy. He retired a few years back, though.

And the mechanic I knew was NOT in Louisiana, so either he was lying or there is more than one depot? Or it was a different depot 20 years ago?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

There are a couple locations that do Depot level maintenance. The actual Depot maintenance, such as PDM is done in Louisiana, but modernization and sustainment is done at Warner-Robins in Georgia. Other systems are done in other locations, but those are the major ones.
edit on 11/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Yep. He was at Robins AFB. Thanks, Zaphod.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   

My father was offered the job of program manager when they first started the program. We actually went down by Melbourne to see the facility, just driving by it, but he decided not to take it because it would need a move from somewhere we loved living.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I'm not 100% sure what my father's position was as we were estranged for some years. He was some sort of management on the software team. Retired from NG with a healthy amount of cash.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Melbourne florida?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Yes. That was where the engineering and modification work was done.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

i was just watching youtube and i saw an ad for Boeing's JSTARS, what individual is buying this platform? seems silly to waste money on those ads

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

No one. The only CAEW platforms are SAAB and Gulfstream. Commercials work sometimes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join