It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq: Draft law legalizing marriage of 9-year-olds

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Islam at its finest. You would think in the aftermath of Isis, the Iraqi government would focus on distancing itself from radical Islam. But no. It seems there are hell of a lot of Muslim men eager to marry 9 year old girls.

A new law that could legalise marriage for children as young as nine in Iraq would be “catastrophic”, setting back women’s rights by half a century, activists said.

On 1 November, Iraq’s council of representatives voted in principle to approve the new amendment, and it has been signed by 40 parliamentarians. Iraqi elections will be held in May next year. The amendment states: “It is permitted to conduct a marriage contract for the followers of the Sunni and Shia sects, according to their faith, by those who are permitted to conduct such contracts as directed by the jurists of that faith.”

The legal age for marriage in Iraq is 18, but under the current personal status law, a judge is allowed to permit girls as young as 15 to marry in “urgent” cases. This already violates child protections under the UN convention on the rights of the child, which Iraq ratified in 1994. The draft amendment would go much further, putting many more girls at risk of forced and early marriage, and making them vulnerable to sexual abuse.
www.theguardian.com...

They actually tried to pull this off almost 4 years ago, and failed. www.theguardian.com...

The situation in Iran is no different by the way - Child Bride Practice Rising In Iran, Parliament Seeks To Lower Girl's Legal Marriage Age To 9

The reality is, this kind of stuff goes on throughout the Muslim world. According to girlsnotbrides.org, approximately 1 out of 5 girls across the Middle East and North Africa are married off before the age of 18.

I heard a lot of excuses about how "it was a different time" back when Mohamid married a 9 year old, "different social norms" etc.
So what's deal now?

edit on 28-11-2017 by MaxMech because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Did you know that circumcision can be traumatic to a baby? How would you feel if someone cut off a piece of your private parts against your will right now? Now imagine if that's one of the first things you experience after being born.

There are many things condoned by people that are wrong but religions are ok with it and even promote it.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Main scream anti Iran rhetoric under the guise of evil Islam and womans rights.

Sound familiar?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Chinese eat dog too.
Different cultures, different worlds.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Your always here to defend the indefensible, how do you sleep at night? 9YEAR OLD GIRLS!! Is this cool with you and your loped member?!?a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

edit on 11 284428 1717 by WUNK22 because: Spell

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Agreed. All religions are barbaric. Some more than other though.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Why do we seem to have the right to go to other countries and tell them what is right? I DO NOT agree with it, I can voice this, I can tell the world i'm not.. but I cannot go enforce my will on a different country, with a different language/culture and expect that they will just drop everything, say "WOW your RIGHT" and conform to our way of life and doing things. Its a huge issue that our society does not seem to understand.

So to recap.

I DO NOT support underage marriage..ect

I feel we need to leave others alone and let them sort out their own #.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Of course... always deflect attention...
Are you always having such hard time looking at the mirror?
The post is about Iraq actually. Iran is just no different in this regard. As many other Muslim countries.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Chinese eat dog too. Different cultures, different worlds.

From a logical perspective, eating a dog isn't different from eating any other animal. It is indeed a cultural thing.
But I think that raping underage children is more related to a lack of culture. Barbarism.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The religion of p(a)e(ace)dophillia.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Dizak

Why do we seem to have the right to go to other countries and tell them what is right? I DO NOT agree with it, I can voice this, I can tell the world i'm not.. but I cannot go enforce my will on a different country, with a different language/culture and expect that they will just drop everything, say "WOW your RIGHT" and conform to our way of life and doing things.

I think we are on the same page in a sense, as I too don't agree with it, and I too just voicing my opinion to the world (this is literally what I'm doing here).
But, I don't think there is a culture or country where a nine year old girl like to be raped by a grown ass man.
I'm not saying that we should go to war with these countries over this matter, but all possible pressure (political, economical etc.) should be imposed to make this stop. In a sense, we own this to them, as human beings.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxMech

Of course... always deflect attention...
Are you always having such hard time looking at the mirror?
The post is about Iraq actually. Iran is just no different in this regard. As many other Muslim countries.

The complaint is about evil Islam and womans rights as usual, when it isn't about Evil Dictators and WMD.

But to be true take the log out of your own eye, first.

Long after Jeffs’s arrest, an extreme culture of child brides, excommunication, and “concentration camp”-like compounds has allegedly survived under the nose of local law enforcement, including police who are members or former members of the church.

Mormon child marriage

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Chinese eat dog too.
Different cultures, different worlds.

That's Pedo.

You just supported pedophilia in order to defend Islam, makes it easy for people when your side puts it out in the open to relate Islam to the ultimate evil on the planet.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Eventually Pedophilia will be legal in the USA too. Liberals want it. Defend it right here before your very eyes. Muslims want it. Their numbers are increasing here. It's only a matter of time.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Eventually Pedophilia will be legal in the USA too. Liberals want it...

If Roy Moore gets into the Senate, he'll probably help get it into law

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

The complaint is about evil Islam and womans rights as usual, when it isn't about Evil Dictators and WMD. But to be true take the log out of your own eye, first.

This is what I mean when I talk about deflection of attention.
Whatever happened in Utah does not make it OK to marry nine year old children.
Same as murdering people is not OK just because someone did it in the past.
In the US these people are treated as criminals while Muslim countries are tying to legalize this practice.
I really don't understand how you are capable of dismissing this post as "complaint is about evil Islam and womans rights" in such a trivial manner.
Is it really that hard to simply admit that this practice is wrong?
edit on 28-11-2017 by MaxMech because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Think about it,the US has been trying to find reason's to attack Iran,liberals make up story's and such demonizing them to fuel lies and hatred,truth is NWO wants Irans oil

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
Think about it,the US has been trying to find reason's to attack Iran,liberals make up story's and such demonizing them to fuel lies and hatred,truth is NWO wants Irans oil

No, the truth is men in nations that allow Islamic law marry 9 year olds.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
How about ten year olds in America? More than 200,000 children were married in the US over the past 15 years.

www.independent.co.uk... 66.html
edit on 28-11-2017 by marc72 because: To fix link

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Can't get link to work. Just search "Child brides America"
edit on 28-11-2017 by marc72 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join