It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiests vs The Religious Conspiracy... Explain to Me Why Believers Believe.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: neutronflux

Because one nation cannot regulate any others in the practices of their citizenry and the entire world is based on supply and demand capitalism now. We can only enact change through mutual cooperation. None of that means that the planet is over populated though.

You do know that we can reasonably fit the ENTIRE population of the world in a land mass the size of Texas correct? And we wouldn't even be overcrowded. Resources would be a different issue, but we don't need modern society to survive either. On top of that mining asteroids is only a few decades away. Once we get there, resources abundance will jump through the roof (provided it isn't artificially bottlenecked).

What does fitting people in one state have to do with enough farm land and resources to feed a growing population of billions? In addition to depleting resources. One bad solar storm or EMP attack would destroy the house of cards that is our modern infrastructure, leading to millions to starve.
edit on 28-11-2017 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Wait, what? Are you trying to imply that Hitler was an atheist? As far as I was aware he was convinced that there was a god.

I would say it would be more accurate that Hilter saw himself as a god, or at lease falsely chosen. And how to you derive what a person believes vs what the will do, say, act to gain power. So you believe politicians now?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I would say it would be more accurate that Hilter saw himself as a god, or at lease falsely chosen. And how to you derive what a person believes vs what they will do, say, act to gain power. So you believe politicians now?
edit on 28-11-2017 by neutronflux because: Fixed

edit on 28-11-2017 by neutronflux because: The quotes from another post did not carry over right

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

We have plenty to feed EVERYONE, if most people in most western countries cut the portions down NO problem but thats another thread.

No god and NO real evidence of one it's as simple as that.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Because one nation cannot regulate any others in the practices of their citizenry and the entire world is based on supply and demand capitalism now. We can only enact change through mutual cooperation. None of that means that the planet is over populated though.

You do know that we can reasonably fit the ENTIRE population of the world in a land mass the size of Texas correct? And we wouldn't even be overcrowded. Resources would be a different issue, but we don't need modern society to survive either. On top of that mining asteroids is only a few decades away. Once we get there, resources abundance will jump through the roof (provided it isn't artificially bottlenecked).

What does fitting people in one state have to do with enough farm land and resources to feed a growing population of billions? In addition to depleting resources. One bad solar storm or EMP attack would destroy the house of cards that is our modern infrastructure, leading to millions to starve.

Uh... You do realize I wasn't suggesting that as a solution to overcrowding right? That was just an example to show how the world isn't as overpopulated as you think it is. It's actually kind of funny that you took that seriously as a literal solution.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
8 pages in and the OP never returned.

Threads like these make me think that it was simply meant to increase views of that dreadful YouTube video, and/or simply intended to instigate bickering and time wasting amongst ATS members.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

I didn't watch the vid ,but yea .

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: Woodcarver

I'm glad someone actual read and thought about my post!

I'm not promoting a particular dogma. The one you have is just fine.

The purpose of religion is to provide a map on how to live one's life. And to provide answers to the four great existential unanswerable questions:

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What is going to happen to me when I die?

As I was saying I was not trying to promote a particular dogma. But religion provides axioms, or concrete answers, to the four great unanswerable existential questions. People are uncomfortable with uncertainty. People want certainty. That is why people create dogma.
you say religion offers concrete answers to questions? What are those answers? Because, as far as i can tell, religion offers nonsensical babble from ancient minds. Feel free to pick any religion you like, and tell me the answers it provides to any of those questions.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BStoltman

Just want to add because it often bothers me. Atheists is a term religious folk like to use for non-believers. Making out that non-believers is also a religious stance. Its not, Atheism is nothing more then, "I do not think a God exists" end of sentence.

I wish people would point this out more, as the more people use Atheism as a term for not believing in God, the worse the term is used.
edit on 28-11-2017 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Maybe you don't understand that I'm a Christian believer, or in other words, that we have a model of authentic leadership where the love and will of God was rendered transparent.

It has nothing to do with the practices and beliefs of primitive man.

Please don't ASSUME. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: Metallicus

"Nature herself has imprinted on the minds of all the idea of God."
Cicero

I think God is a universal concept that all men 'know', however, the form and influence that God has are up to the individual seeker and no one should tell another how and what to believe.
Well I certainly don't know that. And I am a man, so your proposition is patently false.

Nature must have skipped you.

I’m sorry.
Perhaps evolution just passed you by?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject

Just want to add because it often bothers me. Atheists is a term religious folk like to use for non-believers. Making out that non-believers is also a religious stance. Its not, Atheism is nothing more then, "I do not think a God exists" end of sentence.

I wish people would point this out more, as the more people use Atheism as a term for not believing in God, the worse the term is used.
I'll take it one further and say that, it's not that atheists don't believe in gods, it's more like we don't believe in religious people's Claims that gods exiss.

All they have is claims and assertions. They certainly haven't gotten past that stage.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: BStoltman
I began my personal journey in this life, believing in the "God" of the Bible. I read every word of the Bible, and took it so seriously that I even attained a mediocre ability to read the text in its original Hebrew & Greek Language. My journey into this turned me into an Atheist. Let me make this clear, The reading of the Bible literally turned me Atheist.

I have always wondered, if people who claim to be of a professed religious ideal actually read their own text. What makes you believe in a God if you do? I am honestly curious about it. An interesting video I saw that made me ponder this question again now was:

I believe but I have to admit there have been times I kind of wanted give up on it. For the last 10 years, I survived and almost f4 tornado, lost my home, bought a new home (the money pit), lost said home went through bankruptcy. Went through a divorce from a 25 year marriage, lost both my parents and a host of othr family to cancer, lost my home again after losing my job, went to school for a masters - still can't get a good job so my 70k loan is now at 200+k due to renewals, went through the empty nest syndrome, recently had my own cancer scare but luckily it was ok, and about 30 other things that would blow your mind. In all this I never really blamed God at all but many times I have thought "wow, yeah! who would want to follow a God that allows all this to happen to a person" lol. BUT...some of the things that happened were terrible at the time, but a few years later...something elses would happen and I could see where it was good that it happen the way I wanted it to or it would have been worse! Plus, I have had a few personal accounts of where I feel God intervened and saved my life for some reason. So overall, although I get aggravated sometimes and think why can't I just get one little break PLEASE I know that God must have my best interest in mind. I have learned a lot going through all this! that makes it worth it I think. That's why I believe anyway!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Anything anyone holds as true (consciously or unconsciously) is a belief, regardless of it's ability to be duplicated or falsified. For example, your self image is simply a belief.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Super duper agnostic here:

It takes faith to insist that gods / a god exist.

Just like it does to insist that such noun(s) dont exist.

Nope. Under the scientific method and basic logic, it doesn't take faith to not believe - it takes a complete absence of evidence supporting the idea that a god exists. I also don't believe leprechauns, fairies and unicorns exist because there's no evidence of their existence either.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnkhMorpork

Maybe you don't understand that I'm a Christian believer, or in other words, that we have a model of authentic leadership where the love and will of God was rendered transparent.

WHAT
want to explain that authentic leadership, your belief system IS based on primitive man wether you like it or not. Want to explain how this so called almighty god the creator of everything according to some could NOT get his message across to all parts of the world at the same time your god is like all the others a creation of MAN.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

why do I have to believe the text to believe in god?

I have walked along the Colorado river at the bottom of the grand canyon and been in awe, and I have sat on a mtn top in Colorado taking in the view and been at peace looking across the mountain range.

I have watched mamma deer and her fawns foraging for food, and seen a mamma pig and her piglets in the wild playing chase.

I have seen so many wonderful things in nature that yea I believe in a creator, does not mean I believe any text that has been translated hundreds of times, or had politicians sit down and decide this book is holy that book is not.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Watch these.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008

originally posted by: AnkhMorpork

WHAT
want to explain that authentic leadership, your belief system IS based on primitive man wether you like it or not. Want to explain how this so called almighty god the creator of everything according to some could NOT get his message across to all parts of the world at the same time your god is like all the others a creation of MAN.

It's been preached to all parts of the world.

One has to go by the worlds and teachings, character and actions of Jesus to begin to understand.

"There is a principal which serves as a bar against all information and proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principal is called - contempt, prior to investigation."

~ Herbert Spencer, Scientist

One has to be seeking God and Jesus to find Him and there is a trail that's been left.

Your arrogant presumptuousness and contempt is noted. Save it. It deserves no respect from me and to be honest, it's pathetically simple-minded.

How old are you btw?

edit on 29-11-2017 by AnkhMorpork because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Religion and Salvation evolved over the centuries probably beginning as a balance to shore up governments. You see the powerful had soldiers to enforce the ruling class' laws but, who are what could ensure the people would always see that ruling class as legitimate. Easy, they were chosen by God's to lead. In time they added eternal life for the common folk, if they would ignore the ruling class' transgressions against the weak. But that was ok for the commoners because what the powerful didn't know, was they will be judge in the afterlife. what a racket....

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join