It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Booms are Back

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: olaru12

Yeah. That whole trumpet thing is so 2012. Also probably fake.

recordings came all over the world, they probably were legit
edit on 28-11-2017 by AcerM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I live in San Diego County and we had a loud boom heard (and felt) by many about a month ago. It was significant enough to make the news: www.nbcsandiego.com...

I heard and felt this myself. It actually shook my apartment building and as many others thought, I thought it was the start of an earthquake. While I was a bit confused by it, I just figured it was military activity. We have LOTS of military activity here. It is also important to note that there was indeed a noise advisory issued by the military for that day (and a few days before/after that), but those noise advisories are extremely common. We're actually under one right now: www.pendleton.marines.mil...

Now, the thing is, this was heard and felt over an extremely large area. San Diego County is 4,526 square miles. It's enormous, but this noise was heard and felt pretty much across the entire county. The most reasonable explanation to me is that this sound was airborne and not ground-based. By this logic, it would seem that a military aircraft broke the sound barrier (possibly even by mistake?) and caused a sonic boom over the county which was then heard across a very wide area.

BUT, I've heard sonic booms several times both from military aircraft as well as the space shuttle during re-entry, and this sounded very different. It was much deeper, and most notably, lasted what seemed to be a long time with a good 1.5 to 2 second or so rattle/shaking of my apartment building. That's why I thought it was possibly an earthquake starting. Pretty much all my neighbors were talking about it for a couple days after.

I really don't have an explanation for it, and there may be a simple one, but I just thought I'd throw in my own personal experience.

Edited to add: One other probably unrelated but interesting thing to note about this. It actually registered on a seismograph and the exact time this occurred was 11:33am.
edit on 29-11-2017 by skepticalguy because: Additional Info

edit on 29-11-2017 by skepticalguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2017 by skepticalguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   
When we were experiencing booms here, we were told it was underground gas pockets exploding. I hear the jets off the coast--its a totally different sound.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
just some more angles to get familiarized with...

www.dutchsinse.com...

The so-called booms are not only being reported in Alabama, but at multiple locations across the North American plate.
In all actuality, over the past few weeks ,since the end of October, a series of “booms” have been reported shaking whole regions along the North American craton.
In the past three weeks multiple reports of widespread rumbling were reported across states including New Jersey, Alabama, Colorado, and Southern California near San Diego

The article continues with their 'non-Answer' by introducing Boom=EQ presentation...

...Quite simply put, the two events (boom + earthquake) must be related to one another... Each location struck by “booms” also just so happened to be locations which earthquake forecasts were issued for directly.
The locations experiencing booms, and rumbles all reside upon the edge of the North American Craton.
If you would like to know more about how the North American plate is being displaced, begin here.***

*** = www.dutchsinse.com...

Now this reference link has oodles of graphic images, and haphazardly explains that deep earth movement somehow results in audible 'booms', but not by outgassing or ionized air excaping from any surface fracture... its as if we are entering the twilight-zone of belief/faith which supports AVG or Climate Change woo-woo
....At Least the Scientific Community Is addressing the problem, even if they are churning up whacky ideas... (as realistic as me saying that all the orbiting Space-Junk (12K units of nuts-bolts-wrenches-broken satellites, etc.) are causing the atmospheric BoomS...)

just posting info for us to mull over

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Are we talking about the same BOOMS that happened few years back - Clear sky, no clouds no airplanes nothing, but clarly a loud sound coming from somewhere.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

The problem with the "no planes" angle with those and these booms is that a sonic boom can be heard over 100 miles away depending on conditions, and felt over 200 away quite easily.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Not sure how I missed this, but...

Back around Thanksgiving, I was interrupted several times by a loud BOOM! that came from the direction of my best friend's house. He's 1/4 mile away, so I couldn't see anything, but I figured it could be
  • Him shooting a large-gauge shotgun at a critter
  • His neighbor shooting a large-gauge shotgun at a critter
  • Someone deer hunting with slugs and too much powder
  • The old gravel quarry past him setting off a charge
  • His ne'er-do-well nephew setting something off behind his place.

Well, I saw him the other day and asked him about it. Nope, wasn't him, wasn't the nephew, and wasn't the gravel pit, but he had been hearing it too. Then my sister spoke up. She was leaving on Thanksgiving when one went off, and she was right close to it when it happened, so close that according to her, it literally shook the car so hard she was afraid she would lose control. She was about a mile away when it happened, and she got a good idea of the direction... so now I know where it came from.

That area is pure farmland. There are no houses, no buildings, just farmland surrounding a small swampy area that connects to 'the' swamp around here. It's not hilly, just a slight roll to the land. Most of it not in crops or swamp is wooded, considered not worth it to clear out. In short, there's nothing there that can be expected to cause that kind of noise. From a mile away, that can't be a gun... it would have to be one the size of a cannon to make the sound I heard!

There are no flight paths over that area... no military exercises we have noticed... nothing like that.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The Alabama area has a very large high speed corridor that starts in Marietta, and runs to Huntsville and Knoxville. They don't go supersonic much in it, but it's a testing and training area that does occasionally see high speed use.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Having lived in N.W. New York in early and mid-sixties we had sonic booms as a regular occurrence as NORAD alerts and practice happened. I recollect many during 62'

They had the double pulse, sharp boom followed by reverberating boom.

Shake the house and rattle the dishes on second impulse.

Go beach in Florida panhandle fairly often and hear same double pulse offshore recent times.

Now reside in Alabama and heard "boom" here. It was a single sharp impulse with no secondary impulse.

At first thought maybe blasting at quarry several miles over but then relative posted social media about hearing also, relative lives about 70 miles west.

Definitely different sound from what I heard back in sixties or at beach.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm well west and south of that corridor and got a definitive single impulse.

Can't say what it was but pretty sure what it wasn't.
edit on 29-11-2017 by Phoenix because: Add comment

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

The two examples that I like to use are Hawaii with the F-4s in the 80s, and the studies in the 70s of the Concorde and Tu-144.

In the first, people were reporting booms that could just barely be heard, and shelves and windows rattling. The F-4s were going supersonic at 200 miles and causing it.

In the second, they were testing if an SST could be flown over populated areas, and detected secondary effects from the sonic boom at over 2000 miles in one test.

That's far from the only one on the east coast area too. That's just the closest one to where he lives. They're testing lower impulse aircraft that are going to have different sounds when they go supersonic. They're using normal fighters for a baseline, then making some alterations to them. A sonic boom is still the most likely cause to cover such a large area.
edit on 11/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

What I heard was not supersonic booms. I have heard those. They're much sharper. This was a loud dull single boom that was powerful enough to vibrate your bones. From where I live, it literally sounded like a 20-gauge slug 10 feet away or a 12-gauge slug 50 feet away. Lesser sounds would not have interrupted me, because we have hunting around here constantly. But when it is that strong, I immediately think someone is shooting on our land and go check.

Not to mention, loud enough to almost cause loss of control of a car?

I pulled up a satellite map of that area... I'm not sure if it is live updated or not, probably delayed a good bit at least, but it showed something I never knew was there... it looks like a scar on the ground, almost like a blast zone in the middle of the trees and crops. There aren't even dirt roads into the area, and I'm old, but I might try to see if I can get close enough to put eyes on it. It's probably nothing, but it certainly looked strange to me on the satellite view.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I'm not saying that all of them are sonic booms, but a lot of the claims of no planes don't necessarily mean much with the distance that a sonic boom can travel. A lot of people(not necessarily you) seem to be under the impression that a sonic boom is going to have a very small footprint. But I do stand by them being responsible for many of these reports.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Zaph, I know sonic booms can be heard far away. As said heard em in sixties when much more prevalent and also last couple decades coming onshore at gulf beaches - I know what they sound like going on for sixty years. Most of gulf activity is likely F-15, F-18 and possibly RCQ-4 but probably roll in from better that 100+ miles and one can tell it's attenuated by distance ie; it's a soft double long duration series of sound waves.

I even understand that newer a/c profiles might work to change characteristics of them. I would think to soften and stretch sound wave, not sharpen. Of course good time to mention I was told by yours truly "those don't operate on east coast corridors" about year or so ago.

What I heard here in "Bama" was no common sonic boom.

I concur with the "TheRedneck" that the "report" was sharp, quite loud and yes could be described more like a very large caliber gun being fired in the vicinity - think along lines of single .50BMG round at a few hundred yards. My buddy has one so yes I know that sound well.

Like I said don't know what it was but know what it wasn't.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

The existing aircraft to quiet the sonic boom don't operate on the east coast, but the baseline and slightly modified aircraft might be. They're going to operate them over different areas to get a baseline for different types of terrain.

As for the sound type, they're going for softer, but different techniques will have different results. Some may sharpen it.

Or it may be something totally different. But a sonic boom is the only thing that makes sense for the size of the areas people are talking about.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I've not been hearing a lot of reports from farther away, so I don't know what area this thing covered. It went from destructive sound to a loud booming over the space of a mile. Based on that, I'd say a radius of no more than 5 miles to be easily audible. That's too small an area to be a sonic boom... sonic booms are almost soliton air waves travelling through the atmosphere and thus do not disperse very fast. Localized sound dissipates with the radius of the surroundings as the leading edge moves away, and thus covers a smaller area.

From reports, this was localized. Only the intensity made it audible so far away.

If it happens again, I'll report it here.

Oh, and I checked ownership of that spot I found... it might belong to my cousin (mega-family farmer)... the last name on the tax records is right. If so I can get permission to go snooping around.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Like I said, these aren't all sonic booms, but that's the only thing that makes sense in a lot of cases. Just about every area reported in the US this year is near an MOA.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Found a simple rule of thumb to Guage altitude of an object creating sonic boom,

The boom can be heard in an area around 1 mile wide (on either side of the object) for every 1000 feet of altitude, depending on atmospheric conditions.

So using the 100 mile distance between myself, TheRedneck and my relatives one can do quick and dirty estimation of altitude for an airborne object.

That's at least 50,000 feet if centered in geographic area. However that Alabama boom was heard somewhere around a 200 mile area - says could be 100,000+ feet depending on where centered.

link

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: servovenford

As the Earths poles reverse could the atmosphere be venting into space.
Then the absence of air pressure slap back like the report of a rifle after a bullet leaves a gun barrel?

- Watcher

1 101010

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: n120by60w

It might also explain the troglodyte looking cloud formations seen around the world also.
Evidence of the pockets after they reform to the normal barometric pressures.
Might leave a signature of the strange cloud formation...

Just Say'in....

Watcher

edit on 11/30/2017 by n120by60w because: include pict of cloud formation

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join