It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTH???? Steel Magnolias??? Really??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

I do enjoy Grease, but not so much I will stop the dial to watch it.

For that, you would need My Fair Lady.

edit on 24-11-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well, as an old man told me once, "There's a seat for every ass". It is a chick flick. It's dramatic and typical women stuff. I happen to like that movie.

My ex husband could watch Jaws a bazillion times. Ugh. It's okay, but not continuously. Some people like "Shark Week" on TV, I think it's lame. How many times can somebody watch those creatures swimming around blindly sniffing for blood and ripping apart flesh?

However, movies like "Pretty Woman", "Notting Hill", or "Maid in Manhattan" I find ingenuous and stupid. Cop movies are big yawners for me, they're all the same.

So the OP doesn't like Steel Magnolias. I'm reading between the lines and thinking that the OP is ticked off that his wife wanted to watch something on the TV that he didn't. Meh. Welcome to marriage. A small price to pay if the rest of your life is happy.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

Shark Week isn't about watching them swim around for me as much as it is about learning new things.

There was a really interesting doc where a group set themselves adrift in the Gulf of Mexico for a series of days to record what showed up under their platform raft. The idea was to see if open water going sharks would actually tend to track the drifting object because of the ocean creatures that would be drawn to the cover it provided.

Concepts like that are the things that fascinate me about shark week.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
You mean this movie? I have heard of it before somewhere, but I never actually knew what it was about. Then I watched the preview, and from 1989 at that. And after watching all that, I can honestly say...I don't get it!

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

thats a good movie man.
i have not watched it in a while but i have seen it several times.

chick flicks rule

i also like fried green tomatoes (at the whistle stop cafe)
first wifes club
and loads of others but the joy luck club ftw!!!!!!

im serious too

Sounds like what you put in front of a captured enemy after fitting him with eye speculum so that he can't look away.

Interrogator: "Just give us the information and we'll stop the movies."

Prisoner: "I'll tell you what you need to know! But please, don't juat stop it - erase them! This is inhumane! Next time pry out my fingernails - you're an inhuman monster!! ::spits:: you people are SICK!"

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Simple: It's about women and friendship! Funny, sad, up and down! Friendship is always there to support you! Great characterization of totally different women in different stages of life and they're friends. Simple. And entertaining. Great, great movie.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
You aren't a mother, so there is little chance that the appeal of the movie will ever make sense to you.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   
i really don't get this widespread thing some guys have where if a woman likes something and they don't then it must be a dumb woman thing, and everything knows that women things are dumb things because dumb women like them.

different people like different things. don't put a bunch of stupid baggage on it.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I have no idea, OP. My sister-in-law is a huge fan of it, but the one time I tried watching it with her, I fell asleep. It is a dull, dull movie.

To be honest, the only chick flick I've watched and actually like was The Devil Wears Prada. Meryl Streep plays a fantastic icy bitch of a boss in that -- I know the character & magazine in the movie is based off Vogue & editor Anna Wintour and the s# she puts people working for her through, but Streep carried her take amazingly well.

originally posted by: KansasGirl
You aren't a mother, so there is little chance that the appeal of the movie will ever make sense to you.

False logic. I'm a mother, and it doesn't make sense to me.
edit on 11/25/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

'Cause us Dad's don't really care or worry about our kids the way women do, right? We're just there to mow grass and take out the garbage.
smh.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Man that was a rant and a half. Thank you for making me laugh so much. Although I am way more a sci-fi, thriller, action movie kinda chick, I have watched and enjoyed chick flicks. I think us girlies can relate more to films with deep emotions and social hurdles than a lot of blokes can. Possibly for the same reasons why girlies talk a lot about their feelings to each other, their ups and downs, expectations, disappointments, and blokes tend to keep this sort of stuff to themselves. I guess it is just the way we are wired

Thanks for the reminder about this film, and Fried Green Tomatoes that another poster mentioned. My daughter has not seen these and I think she will appreciate them. Now got this evenings viewing sorted. Ta 🙂

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Women have silly childlike emotions and disgusting hormones that make them into moronic herd animals. They are useful to keep around for the kitchen and bedroom.

edit on 25-11-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

But I loved watching Miami lose.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Well it's coming up christmas and in the UK that means The Sound Of Bloody Music. Again and again. God help me from Doh Rah Me.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Are you really asking why women watch women movies? Might as well be asking why the earth goes around the sun.

And also, Jane Fonda isn't in that movie.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Years ago, I used to love this movie, I liked the friendship aspect of it, now I can’t be bothered with it, don’t know why.

Still love How to make an American quilt, and waiting to exhale.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

Yes, I agree with this.

I meant what I said about My Fair Lady, but the other ones that will make me stop are The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The big problem I have stopping on them is the husband, of all people, complain they may be too intense for kiddo!

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I saw it once. Depressing movie. Not every female likes it.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
WTF...why are women so attracted to this movie Steel Magnolias???

I swear to Gawd, if that show is in the channel guide, my wife will stop on it and start watching it (even though she's seen it like 45,000 times, just like every other female on planet Earth!)

What the F# is it with this damn movie? What is it about a movie with no plot, no ending and no nothing...that women like so much??? GAH!!!!

My wife is not the first woman I've known who just will drop everything to watch this show. It's like "Turn the freaking TV OFF, I'd rather watch paint dry and grass grow than watch this movie!!" But, NOOOOoooooooo.

Good Grief!! WTH??? (does it have some subliminal mind-candy for women it it or something...mind control...what???)

GAWD...I simply cannot STAND that movie!! And Jane Fonda? (GAH...kill me now!!)

Hm. I don't drop everything but I've seen it and can appreciate what it shows. It is about women, their endurance, the kind of steel in their spines that is based on their experiences, grief, growth, and love. It is sacrifice for the life of another. Bravery. Courage. It's about interconnection and relationships- a tribal sort of bond that some women develop to handle life (without men) as so often they are not there). It's about what women do to keep the world spinning

It was a play before it was a movie, so the lack of big action and such, and the focus on interpersonal drama, is rooted in the fact it was first performed on stage.

Steel Magnolias = Women, beautiful and strong southern women.

It's ok that you don't get it - it's not relatable to your experiences. A wise man would realize that it is relatable to his wife's experience, and take it as a way to better understand her... just saying.

Is she a Steel Magnolia of sorts?

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
baby noises

yes dear you're such a super good troll! oh my gosh!

/pats

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join