It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preferred carry ammunition

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hello weapons forum!

I carried a .40 S&W compact for the past 2-3 years (after switching from G20 in 10mm - carried Corbons in it) with 165gr. PDX1 defender cartridges. About a month ago, I picked up a new Glock 17, and have been carrying it ever since. Despite its large BBL and grip profile, I find it easy to conceal (some minor printing, who cares?) and the large magazine capacity is a bonus. I carry 17+1, and two 17 cartridge reloads. I also keep two Glock 18 33 rounders in my vehicle next to the NFA stuff in my trunk safe.

Currently, I am running Hornady's Critical Duty +P 135gr. cartridge, as it is supposed to be a "barrier blind" penetrator with good terminal effects on target.

My question to you guys and gals is whether or not the bonded PDX1 defender 9mm +P cartridges would be a better choice than the non-bonded "flexlock" Hornady rounds. The PDX1 9mm rounds I was looking at were 124gr., and the Critical Duty are at 135gr.

Thanks for any input

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Here are some OEM specs for both loads. Keep in mind these would be fired from a 4.5" BBL Glock 17

PDX1 Defender: 9mm +P, 124gr. Bonded

Muzzle Velocity 1200fps

Critical Duty: 9mm +P, 135gr. Flexlock

Muzzle Velocity 1110fps

*note: I love that Critical Duty comes in 25 count packaging, vs. PDX1's 20 count.
edit on 11/24/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
A .45 hits at 100 meters aimed a meter high above the target,two meters the same equation ,2 meters above.
My brother swears by his kimber in Elko PD,he was SWAT an a door breacher.
So I guess .45.
edit on 24-11-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
man, you must be scared s**tless of armed, roving gangs in "anywhere" America if your carrying a gun with 52 rounds of ammo at the ready. either that, or your a really bad shot.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Pretty much same as you-Hornady 135g-h.p..9mm.....and my 45acp-PDX-1 h.p.(Winchester)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Or a devout worshipper at the alter of Murphy's law...

Has anyone ever wished for *less* ammo in a gunfight?
edit on 11/24/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
man, you must be scared s**tless of armed, roving gangs in "anywhere" America if your carrying a gun with 52 rounds of ammo at the ready. either that, or your a really bad shot.

You never know when you will run into a roving band of deranged Antifa members.
He should carry double.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This guy has tested pretty much every ammo out there. Good honest reviews and tests.

www.youtube.com...

I have 3 carry loads for my Glock 19 Gen 4. Gold Dot, Federal HST and Critical Duty.
Winchester SXZ 230 gr HP in my .45. Those things expand damn near the size of a quarter.
If I run outta those, I got 220 gr +P Critical Duty.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Nice choice

I used to carry Silvertip's back in the day, but I feel a lot more comfortable with modern selections (especially in 9mm)

Now I just need to find a better choice than M193 5.56x45 or ballistic silvertip polymer tip .223's

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Great link, I love tnoutdoor's channel! Right alongside hickok45 and nutnfancy

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Heh, technically I do if you count the 2x33 round extended capacity mags in my trunk safe

Of course, the safe is mainly to protect my "precious." (actually it is for the NFA stuff I throw in the car when I'm going to be in-state)

Thinking about it, the $20,000.00 I spent on that chunk of metal (RDIAS) should've come with its own safe included!

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Hickok45 has talked me into spending a little money from time to time based on reviews. I still have not crossed into polymer striker fired as yet. Still a little old fashioned.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

are you hanging around where gunfights take place?....or are you actively looking for one?

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Well obviously you aren't hunting rabbits.

The thing about exotic ammo that inflicts horrendous wounds is the aftermath, when the detectives ask if you were merely trying to stop the assailant or turn them to hamburger.

Because you see in conventional warfare with ROE and all, the 'acceptable' projectile is "Ball" or Full Metal Jacket, to inflict as little suffering as possible, lol.

You don't want to appear to have any preconceived notions about shredding flesh and gaping wounds, afterwards.
edit on 24-11-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Winchester Ranger T's would be my top choice.
+P and comes in a box of 50.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That is why I run FMJ in the 380’s. Added plus is not worrying about spread prior to penetration as can happen with even Hornady Critical Defense.

I would still be curious to see FN’s 5.7 round in a more concealable gun even if it dropped mag capacity to 10-15 rounds.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

If it can go wrong, it will, usually badly. No such thing as too much.

My .45 loves Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 45 ACP 185 Grain Flex Tip. Utterly reliable. I've had no feed issues at all. On the range, I think I've had two flyers out of several hundred rounds down range, and that may have been me, not the round. I tend to stick to one type of ammo, if it works really well, and this does.

I've not done a whole lot of experimenting with my own loads, as I've not got the room as yet. Moving soon, and workshop space is a must.

This what you're looking for?

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Oh yeah, it is easy to start making a shopping list when watching guns/gear reviews . His reviews are always a great watch too

Nothing wrong with old fashioned, I would still be carrying a S&W 686 if not for the slower reload times!

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I would still be curious to see FN’s 5.7 round in a more concealable gun even if it dropped mag capacity to 10-15 rounds.

A single stack pistol in 5.7 would be pretty neat.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: JBurns

are you hanging around where gunfights take place?....or are you actively looking for one?

I get your point. I avoid Chicago and the South Side, too. The problem is when a gunfight actively looks for you. And that could be any 7/11 in the country, or even come in through your front door. "No Guns Allowed" signs tend to encourage rather than stop gunfights. So the real question here is: Do you have anything to contribute to the OP's question? Or are you just trolling? The answer is obvious.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join