It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nostelgic look back "Solider of Fortune 1 and 2". Which game makes you feel nostelgic?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I was feeling a bit nostalgic after commenting on a thread about the state of gaming at the moment and the rise of pay to win and the debacle of Star Wars Battlefront 2 lootboxes. A few posters listed there console/pc history when commenting and it got me thinking back to the good old days of PC gaming.
I built my first pc back in the early nineties and got into PC gaming when Wolfenstein 3D was released in 1992 and then Doom in 1993, which back in the day was mind blowing, I remember using coaxial cable to run a "network" at home and watching my friends faces when you could see the player on another PC screen!!!

Then in 2000 something incredible happened........

A small warning, this game footage cotains some volience!!

The first Solider of Fortune was released and i was blown away (pun intended). It was the first game to show graphic gore and violence which at the time caused a lot of out-cry because of the depictions of body parts being shot off.
The game also had multiplayer and other than Quake and home made doom I handn't had much experience of the sheer joy that "SoF" mutiplayer could bring.
My gamer tag back then was "Frank White" and i spent many hours of my youth online playing these games.

edit on 23-11-2017 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
First game I had played with entrance and exit wounds.

SOF was pretty good but if I remember correctly it ends right as I was about to snipe Saddam Hussein.

SoF is a classic! Might not be as well known as it should but that was a genre pushing game at the time, I noticed they had scaled the gore back since then, guessing because of the play they tried to play on such games for school shootings.

Yeah a vidya game made someone snap, not bullying or some sort of depressive internal drive.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Loved the first Solider of Fortune , blowing peoples body parts off never got old , wasn't so keen on Solider of Fortune 2 though.
Remember Kingpin ?

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Mine was Super Mario 64, it was fantastic at the time. I remember getting all 120 stars, and how satisfied I felt at the time.

edit on 23-11-2017 by kurthall because: add

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I remember the out-cry really well and could never understand it because the people complaining about there children seeing it must of been buying it and letting them play an 18 certificate game in the first place!! It still boils my blood now when you see 6 year old kids saying "mommy I want this one!!" and it clearly has a 15 cert' on it.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Yeah, the second one wasn't nearly as good as the first but I was addicted to the game and was hoping for more and never really got the same excitement as I did in the first. I had forgotten about Kingpin and just had a "flashback".

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Playing the first Grand Turismo with friends.

Taking a bonkers Escudo (iirc) and using walls to make crazy lap times, heh.

(post by intrptr removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I hated consoles at first as I'd spent so much time with a keyboard and mouse or joystick for flight sims that a joypad stumped me, I just couldn't be delicate enough with it but GT was something I worked at till I got it, I had the same problem at first with Golden Eye!!

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

just had a "flashback".

That was a great looking game but to hard for its own good.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I never had an issue with consoles until this current generation. I always saw it as a "pro vs con" type thing (though not the ones that are usually stated). Now, I can't imagine why anyone would go console over PC as their main gaming platform outside of just habit. And, maybe believing the whole "gaming PCs cost thousands of dollars a year!" type thing.

Goldeneye was another good one, along with Mario Kart. Had a lot of fun with the original Mario too, and I can't forget doing the Controller Shuffle with friends in Final Fantasy VII.

More recently, had a TON of fun playing Army of Two with friends on a 10' screen.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Look at the Edge Lord Intrptr lol.

Get a hobby.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Look at the Edge Lord Intrptr lol.

Get a hobby.

Back atcha:

Edge Lord-- "Edgy (Ironically) means: You're trying to behave like you're cool because you're edgy, against the grain and 'above social norms' (things like accepting general societal constructs, basic human decency, responsibility, generally accepted truths) , but in reality you're transparent and it's clear that you don't have any more knowledge/insight/experience than anyone else, and are just an idiot baselessly making bold statements to seem cool."

edit on 23-11-2017 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

(post by intrptr removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by Lysergic removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Gaming isn't a 'hobby' , its conditioning to accept violence, death and war.

Nonsense.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
LOL, ya'll make me feel old . I got to go back aways for that nostalgic feeling. We had pinball when I was young but as far as video, Pong was the cats meow when it came out. Only one or two kids in my school were fortunate enough to have one when it first came out. Great memories

This is where it started for me.

Pong

Asteroids

Breakout

Centipede

Gallaga

edit on 23-11-2017 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join