It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Font gone funky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Got on the computer this morning and everything seemed fine, till....
I'm running an old Dell Inspiron 570 [ told ya it was old ] updated to Win 10 and other than a power supply issue a while back, I've never had problems with it.
I know, I should get a new/better desktop, but I don't go for new, just because it's new. I'm not a gamer or run a business and other than coming here to ATS, watching Youtube and looking up information on the web I don't really use it that much. I do know a bit about computers, but this problem has me stumped.

Like I said, got on this morning and everything seemed fine, till everything suddenly changed. The font and size just went pfft. Now it all looks a bit stretched and outsized. The font is changed to a somewhat larger and blockier format and no matter what I do, the damn thing just won't go back to the way I had it. I've been through control settings for the font and size, did a factory reset on my monitor, went through restore and went back to the 17th of this month, ran virus/malware checks and...nothing. I know it's going to be something obvious that I kick myself for not checking, but HELLLLLLP.

I've been messing with this since about 1:30 AM and violence with a BFH is becoming a real possibility here.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I wish I could help you but it seems like you've already tried everything I could think of. The IT people always tell me just to turn it off and turn it back on.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Tried that too.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Have you tried reinstalling the font? Just go to C:Windows/font for the file location.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: trontech

I've spent hours trying everything I know. Been all over the web and Still nothing.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Is it just the font or is everything stretched looking? Could be your resolution was reset when you updated.

If it’s just the font check the Accessibility Settings. There are settings there for visually impaired that increases the fonts, etc.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: oriondc

It's everything. I've tried resolution, font size.....I mean, I've been through every setting I can find.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
It sounds like the Windows update did something to the graphics drivers which is making everything looked stretched. Try to update the graphics drivers by themselves (you'll have to find out what kind of graphics card you have, or more likely, what kind of on-board graphics). You can try to find this info in Device Manager (look under display adapter) or somewhere on the Dell website.

If that doesn't help, turn the computer off, disconnect the monitor from the computer, reconnect and reboot.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: oriondc

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I was going to say it might be a bad update but somebody beat me to it. If that doesn't work:

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

PULL!!

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Can you connect your computer to a different monitor? That would make it clear if it's a monitor or computer problem.

Also, you can try to boot it in safe mode, as that way it will use the default drivers.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   

I've been through control settings for the font and size

While you were in the font settings, did you check if ClearType was enabled?

I had that turn off randomly by itself once, and oh gosh were my eyes offended by the horrible fonts they were forced to observe. Found that setting after a lot of annoyance, and voila!

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Windows update seems to be the culprit. I rolled back the driver on the graphics card and everything went back the way I had it.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
"Font gone funky"

Cool.

top topics

join